Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2016, 03:35 PM

It's really worth riding a CAAD12 as well. If I was looking to replace my EVO right now I'd probably just buy a CAAD12 and be done with it. Same geometry and full carbon fork as an EVO Hi-Mod.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:02 PM

I absolutely love mine. Coming from my old Dean Ti bike, this thing is a dream. The Dean just kinda floated over the road and smoothed out all the bumps, and I always felt kinda disconnected from the road when I was riding. Climbing out of the saddle was an experience because the fork/headtube area flexed so much.

The supersix evo (non hi-mod) solved all those problems for me and I love riding this thing. Lighter frame/fork, comfortable over longer distances, much stiffer in all the right areas, corners like a demon, and looks good while doing it.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:25 PM

Thanks guys

Sounds very much like the reviews I have found. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
Handling is super predictable and it's about as comfortable as a stiff, race bike can be. Headtube isn't too tall or too short

Anyway, bottom line, great bike and I highly recommend it.
I will second or 3rd this. I bought a second hand 2013 Hi-Mod in 2014, put a 7900 group and 1400 gram aluminum clinchers on it. It's insanely light, I think it weighed it at 15.4 pounds with 7810 pedals and bottle cages. I still ride my Atlanta and Tommasini more often but if you want GO when you STOMP pick this one.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
It's really worth riding a CAAD12 as well. If I was looking to replace my EVO right now I'd probably just buy a CAAD12 and be done with it. Same geometry and full carbon fork as an EVO Hi-Mod.
Did they change the geometry with the CAAD12? I have a CAAD10 and an EVO and the EVO has a little quicker handling ('12 CAAD, '14 EVO both same size and set up).

EDIT: Just went to bikes, it appears the CAAD fork has a bit more offset, which may explain it. My eyeballs aren't certified for trade, YMMV, etc.

Last edited by Davist; 02-03-2016 at 05:10 PM. Reason: add'l info
Old 02-03-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
Did they change the geometry with the CAAD12? I have a CAAD10 and an EVO and the EVO has a little quicker handling ('12 CAAD, '14 EVO both same size and set up).

EDIT: Just went to bikes, it appears the CAAD fork has a bit more offset, which may explain it. My eyeballs aren't certified for trade, YMMV, etc.
I rode a CAAD10 before switching to an EVO and every geometry chart I looked at said the two were 99% identical. Both bikes handle exactly the same but the CAAD10 was stiffer and more unforgiving on bad asphalt. With that said, a CAAD10/12 with 25's and a little lower psi and I probably wouldn't feel a difference.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:27 PM
This space left blank

Have a 2012 EVO HiMod. Fabulous bike. No way it's "soft". I'm 185lbs and it's super solid. I have a 52cm, frame weighs 740g.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:01 AM

Wondering if the OP bought an Evo, and if he has any comments? Or anyone else who missed this thread the first time. Someone local has a himod my size for $900, 2013 model I think based on the paint.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:36 AM

Not yet

Still have my eye out and still thinking I will likely try one out.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:56 AM
Cat 6

great ride and feel. handling is like everyone says- about as good as a bike can get. not sexy, and aggressive in fit- just a bit longer and lower than most. a true race bike.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:09 PM

I had both an evo and hi-mod evo in 63cm. Both were terrifying to ride. Slow to turn until you reach an inflection point then takes a dive. Always feels like it's about to skid out. YMMV. Smaller geos might handle more sanely, but I've ridden equally large bikes from spec, parlee, and bmc and all were way, way better.

Also the frameset in 63cm is ~1450g (with hardware and bb) which is about a pound heavier than the figure they quote for 54cm bikes or whatever.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:17 PM

To the point above, the flop in front is such that this is definitely a bike you want to countersteer. If you try to force it around without countersteering, it tries to track straight and you won't like the handling. But countersteering is the proper way to steer a bike anyway, and is important here.

A lot more time spent on a 2016 Evo Hi Mod and I'm liking it more and more. It does have a fairly low front end (short head tube) for its size, so do plan for that and go up a size if you don't want a lot of drop. I can make it flex laterally, but have to try to do so. Vertically it's possibly the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden without feeling dead (dead as in old Alan or Exxon Graftek). It's actually as if someone said to emulate a really good light steel frame.

I race a Crumpton and would rate the Crumpton over the Evo Hi Mod, but then, a lot of that is because the Crumpton is custom to my spec and it also costs more than twice as much. But if I were buying anything less than high end full custom, the Evo Hi Mod is an unbeatable deal and an absolutely amazing bike for the price. Entirely professional quality. Yes, I can buy better (like Crumpton) but for a bike I can just thrash, why buy a Colnago or Pinarello or similar frame when the Evo Hi Mod does it better?
Old 03-09-2016, 05:01 PM

For 2016, they've discontinued the framesets with the nano carbon, which is even higher than the hi mod. Cannondale rep told me they couldn't continue to make it and meet their price point. I have several friends who ride the hi mod and rave about it. They've got some excellent closeout deals on the 2015 Black Inc nano carbon Supersix. I just ordered one.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
They've got some excellent closeout deals on the 2015 Black Inc nano carbon Supersix. I just ordered one.
Hmm, months ago I heard the same thing, and was then told they were sold out. Can you disclose the price?
Old 03-09-2016, 05:38 PM

Called a dealer and was told they only have 60s and 63s left.

I need a 54, and could settle for a regular Himod with Red 22 (yay) for $3.9k...