Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2016, 02:04 AM

Col de La Colombière with a forum member

Rode it with kramnnim who did an enormous favor for me. He’d flown over with his wife to watch part of the Tour. They were staying somewhere near St Gervais. Wednesday I drove up to meet him for a ride. We hooked up near the autoroute exit for Sallanches. Left the car between Sallanches and Cluses so I’d have some warm-up time before the climb. Mark was well warmed up already. Rode across from St Gervais to Megève then down then rode back up to Megève via the TdF time trial route then rode back down to meet me. Youth.

This was three days before the TdF crossed the Colombière and already there were tons of people in the area. Especially cyclists. Not used to that. Usually I ride solo, see damned few riders where I go. Felt semi-bad for Mark since he was clearly vastly stronger and faster than me but he didn’t seem to mind. Super nice young man, looks good on a bike, like that’s where he should be. Same age as my son. Told him no need to wait for me, only one road to the col, can’t get lost, I’ll get there eventually. Didn’t listen to me.

I doubt I’ll ever ride the Colombière again. Not my style of road. Too much like a highway and too much traffic. I like my roads skinny, nervous, a bit rustic. The road to Colombière was none of those. But a good ride. Kicked in with some easy uphill spinning then upping the ante, topping out at a K at 8%, then eased off again. All this in a forest with no views to speak of, or at least nothing to make me want to stop and shoot. Also didn’t want to make Mark stop too often so figured I’d wait until up high but in the end there just wasn’t anything notable in the visuals department down low. The thick forest was welcome because I think that day may have been the hottest day we’ve had so far this year. We as in here in the Alps.

Hit a 3 K section that was delight city, not far off flat rolling. Like Mark commented, visually looked like we were going downhill even though our legs knew otherwise. Going uphill in big gears, gotta like that. Into the village of Le Reposoir. Good name for the place. Translated loosely it means sort of evening rest. For cyclists it means good place to take a break because from there up is friggin hard. Nice looking village. Like most french towns and villages generously decorated with flowers. France has this system that awards towns for their flowers, like stars for hotels. At the entrance to towns they put a small panel with one, two, three, or four flowers instead of stars. I didn’t notice how many Le Reposoir had.

Out of the village and into a series of switchbacks, kicking in with moderate steepness before hitting a long section, on towards 2 K, at 8,5%. A taste for the ramp just ahead, a few hundred meters at 11,5%. Happily followed by half a K or so at 5%. And that was that for the easy rolling. Nothing but hard afterwards, and progressively harder with each K steeper than the last.

This is one of those roads with the grades marked on the K posts, which can be fun or thoroughly depressing. I’ve forgotten exactly what the numbers were but I think it went something like 9%, 8%, 9%, 10%, 11%. The first 9% might have been 8,5% but at that point my legs were totally numb to the subtleties of grade changes. Can’t even say for sure that I felt any difference between the 9% grade and the final 11% grade! I kept expecting Mark to fly by me but he seemed content to follow my wheel and enjoy the views. Probably also thinking that way if the old guy in front of him keels over he won’t have to ride back and find him.

The heat was intense. Southern exposure and a rocky mountain to store the heat. Pizza oven conditions right to the top. And to insure we didn’t leave thinking the climb wasn’t all that hard, the wind was in our faces! Perfect, 10%, 11% grades into a headwind! Great views though. At least when I could look at them. Lots of riders coming down. Some ripping massive speed, most taking it somewhat cautiously. And cars, both directions. I don’t give them too much attention. Someone not giving cyclists generous room is the exception. In France, and maybe throughout Europe, any accident between a driver and a cyclist, the driver is automatically at fault!

The road was in beautiful form, prepped for the Tour. Lots of new asphalt, smooth rolling. And all of it broiling nicely under a fierce sun but at least it wasn’t melting anywhere. Always good to ride a col before or just after the Tour. Guaranteed excellent conditions.

Got to the col. I think the flat section on the col lasts for all of maybe 20 meters, if that, before curving down the other side! Place was crowded. Cyclists, mountain bikers, hikers, gazers. A restaurant on the col surrounded by bikes like horses outside a bar long ago. Then again I don’t remember ever seeing horses leaning against the railings. Lot of languages floating in the air. Some sounded like maybe swedish or danish or something from up north. Maybe some slavic too. Cyclist crowd heavily weighted to the male side of course. Last time I’d seen so many cyclists was up in Bourg d’Oisans.

The Tour came up from the opposite side. Spectacular view arriving from that side, if any of the riders noticed. Sight-seeing probably isn’t high on their priority list. Was for Mark and I. Spent a bit of time there resting, drinking, eating, looking, shooting pics.

Then down. I was pretty sure this could be a good plunge. Mark told me he wasn’t fast going down. Lack of practice. Apparently flat where he lives. Told him just follow my line, it’s easy. And I was off. Instant acceleration. 11% grades will do that. No idea if he was behind me or not but apparently he was. At least until we caught our first car with a second just in front. Hung off his back corner a bit waiting for enough space. Didn’t have to wait long. They slowed for a turn and I jumped. Past the first one, second car saw me coming, slowed even more and I dove by going into a carving turn to the left and was gone, two cars history. Mark told me later that was where he lost me. I’m used to european drivers, know they’ll almost always slow and give an aggressive rider the space, if possible. The trick is just doing the maneuver where they can.

Good fun from there down. Most of the time the curves stretched out enough that nothing to do but hold on and go. Finally hit some nice linkers down in the woods. Slowing, looking, diving in, leaning left, leaning right, one after the other. For some reason thought about how often I’ve read how you’re supposed to ride through with the outside pedal down and the inside knee pointing inside the turn. Makes me laugh. Obviously written by someone who’s never ridden fast off cols in the Alps. Most of the time it’s more like diving through with the cranks level and the butt floating over the saddle because the bike’s hopping around on the road surface that’s doing its own hopping around. In cars they call it active suspension or something like that. Good times.

Came flying down through the switchbacks into Le Reposoir. Stopped to wait for Mark, eat some more of my sandwich. Here he comes, wasn’t so far behind after all. Topped off our bottles from the same fountain we used on the way up then off again. Down the 3 K of not far off flatness, full spin mode, into the forest and shade and round turns. Lots of carving. I could hear Mark’s freewheel just behind me. Into the village of Scionzier and out into the valley, the descent finished. Then back to the car. That was fun. Same with riding with Mark, a good person to spin with. He needs to come back another time so I can show him some of the good stuff the Alps has.

Some pics, not too many. Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Colomb-800x600 -1.jpg (59.0 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg Colomb-800x600 -2.jpg (40.1 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg Colomb-800x600 -3.jpg (49.6 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg Colomb-800x600 -4.jpg (32.7 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg Colomb-800x600 -5.jpg (73.4 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg Colomb-800x600 -6.jpg (31.5 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg Colomb-800x600 -7.jpg (96.1 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg Colomb-800x600 -8.jpg (53.3 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg Colomb-800x600 -9.jpg (104.9 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg Colomb-800x600 -10.jpg (70.7 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg Colomb-800x600 -11.jpg (32.2 KB, 147 views)
Old 07-25-2016, 05:41 AM
ZhugeLiang

<<Rode it with kramnnim who did an enormous favor for me.

So assume that Mark pal had safely delivered the secret package?

Let's see it!

Old 07-25-2016, 05:51 AM
Senior Shmoozer

Great Report

Thanks for a taste of that.
A heady brew!

VF
Old 07-25-2016, 06:14 AM

Great pics, and story. Thanks for sharing.

Maybe someday, bucket list.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:38 AM
Proud Grandpa

Great jerseys!! Both of y'all..envy you.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:18 PM
ZhugeLiang

Don't waste your time reading this useless thread, go straight here!