Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-28-2015, 10:17 PM

How do you get back into the riding habit after months off?

Adopting our daughter in April was the best thing to ever happen to me, hands down. She was 4 days old when she came to us, and my wife and I had all the usual new-parent life changes. No sleep, frenetic pre- and post-workday time, etc. As a result, I went from riding 6 days a week, to riding 2 (if I was lucky). My long ride went from 3 hours to 90 minutes. I don't regret dialing it back - every minute with that little girl is precious. But I wouldn't mind losing some of the flab that has accumulated around my midsection as a result of being inactive. Getting back into a workout habit is tougher than I would have thought, though. Riding and working out used to be as much part of my day as brushing my teeth, but now it just gets shoved to the bottom of the priority stack every single time. I'm sure I'm not the first person on this forum to wrestle with this. Any tips? Things that worked for you getting back into the habit? I still adore riding, but when the moment comes, it always seems like something else gets in the way (sleep, work, chores, diapers, etc.).