Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-10-2016, 02:23 PM

I just registered for my VW goodwill package, so I guess I'm being paid off to be a perp.

on a serious - but not scientifically researched in detail - note, I usually drive what i would describe as interesting beater or semi-vintage cars...'70s Fiat 124s, I currently have an '85 Bertone X 1/9, I drove an '87 BMW 535is for a few years, etc. etc....so, part of what continues to strike me is that even in it's EPA spoofing iteration, my JSW TDi is probably much less impactful that most ICE vehicles I've navigated through life. Or, maybe I'm just saying that I've always been part of the problem.....
Old 02-10-2016, 02:37 PM

Dodge offers two different diesel engines in their small trucks. Last year they brought out a smaller 3 liter diesel made in Italy. it's for lighter duty (it's also used in the car line). Wonder if it has different emissins standards than the heavy duty Cummins.

Ford supposedly doing same next year. Bringing a smaller diesel with TQ below the Super Duty diesel.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:41 AM

will this ever end:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...=yhoo.headline

just unbelievable.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:49 AM

This gets more and more like Breaking Bad every day. Better Call Saul.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:50 AM

Winterkorn did the right thing, he was protecting the investors and the market price of VW stock and what not

Its not like the consumer really matters, its more about dollars and moving units. The product can be a total turd, more about hooking a sucker of a consumer. That's what six sygma black belts and MBA's are all about no?
Old 02-15-2016, 07:19 AM

Not sure if this has already been linked: "VW Plans to Make U.S. Diesel Owners an Offer They Can't Refuse."

Volkswagen will offer generous compensation packages to the roughly 600,000 U.S. owners of diesel vehicles whose emissions are over the legal limit, the head of its claims fund told a German paper.

The German car maker has still not decided whether vehicle owners will be offered cash, car buy-backs, repairs or replacement cars, Kenneth Feinberg told the Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung.

On Friday, Volkswagen VLKAY -0.56% postponed the publication of its 2015 results and delayed its annual shareholders’ meeting as it struggles to put an exact price on its emissions scandal.

More than four months after the scandal broke in the United States, Europe’s leading car maker has still not won approval for a fix for any of the vehicles. Last week it named a new head of its U.S. legal department to help resolve the case.

Feinberg told the paper he was unlikely to meet his goal of setting up the claims fund within 60 to 90 days, saying: "My hands are tied as long as VW and the authorities have not overcome their differences."

He said he expected an overwhelming majority to accept the eventual offer, and that VW had given him full authority to set the level.

"Look at my prior cases: 97% of the victims of Sept. 11 accepted my offer. At GM and BP it was more than 90%, too. That has to be my target for VW," Feinberg said.

It is a purely business transaction, less emotional. I see that from emails I get from vehicle owners, who say things like: 'Mr. Feinberg, I know I haven’t lost a relative, I just want to be treated fairly.' They are all quite reasonable.'

It goes on from there.

Last edited by akelman; 02-15-2016 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:50 AM

And more news: "VW tried to resist the air bag recall in the US."
Old 02-16-2016, 06:35 PM

Last edited by peanutgallery; 02-16-2016 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:51 AM

does this mean that the epa is going to forgo fines if vw builds electric cars in the usa? if so that just disgusts me. money money money. everything is about money and nothing about accountability anymore in life:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/epa-as...3--sector.html
Old 02-22-2016, 09:21 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancw3 View Post
does this mean that the epa is going to forgo fines if vw builds electric cars in the usa? if so that just disgusts me. money money money. everything is about money and nothing about accountability anymore in life:

I got from that article that we still know no more about the resolution than we did in November.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancw3 View Post

Crooks on both sides! Any one who thinks the Govt/regulators are always wearing the white hats are sadly mistaken. It's crooked all the way through!
Old 02-22-2016, 10:09 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
I got from that article that we still know no more about the resolution than we did in November.
Just had a freebie 40K tune. The guy at VW said he has 'heard', my 2013 will get the urea tank treatment. he says there is space for the tank, etc, as the 2015 JSW were made that way. we'll see..meanwhile, diesel is $1.44 right now..still getting 40 MPG mixed driving...
Old 02-22-2016, 10:20 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Just had a freebie 40K tune. The guy at VW said he has 'heard', my 2013 will get the urea tank treatment. he says there is space for the tank, etc, as the 2015 JSW were made that way. we'll see..meanwhile, diesel is $1.44 right now..still getting 40 MPG mixed driving...
That tank will come at the cost of independent rear suspension. It's a big cost and that's one of the reasons the resolution is taking so long.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:23 AM

I just sold my 2012 this week. I think I'll miss it, but we just didn't need two cars anymore.

I feel like a took a bit of a hit on the value and I worry that some future payoff will require the car in hand like the goodwill package did. All the same, now I have no excuse not to ride my bike to work.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:30 AM

There is no way that VW is going to rip out the IRS in the 2009-2014 cars in order to fit a urea tank. They would pull your full size spare, give you a can of fix a flat and lifetime roadside assistance first. I still don't believe that VW is going to retrofit urea in the Gen1 cars.

Tags
autoscam, boring threads