Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2011, 09:05 PM
Rule #5

Eddy Merckx Titanium?

Were Eddy Merckx titanium frames built by Eddy Merckx or did somebody else make them for, wait for it, Eddy Merckx?
Old 05-24-2011, 09:07 PM

Made by somebody else. I forget if it was Merlin or Litespeed. I think the latter. Look where it was made... Mass. or Tenn.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorGadget
Were Eddy Merckx titanium frames built by Eddy Merckx or did somebody else make them for, wait for it, Eddy Merckx?
They were made by LITESPEED. Pretty much a rebadged CLASSIC. Jeff N.

Last edited by Jeff N.; 05-24-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:29 PM

yes rebadged

with Eddy geo.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:36 PM

Not true...Eddy Merckx Ti frames (Majestic & AX) were made by Litespeed but were NOT simply rebadged Litespeed Classic. Not only did the Merckx frames have different dropouts (horizontal v vertical) and different tubing treatments (some ovalized/reshaped tubes), but most importantly they adopted the Merckx Century geometry with slightly slacker seat tubes....in all very different then the Litespeed Classic.
Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N.
They were made by LITESPEED. Pretty much a rebadged CLASSIC. Jeff N.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuerta
Not true...Eddy Merckx Ti frames (Majestic & AX) were made by Litespeed but were NOT simply rebadged Litespeed Classic. Not only did the Merckx frames have different dropouts (horizontal v vertical) and different tubing treatments (some ovalized/reshaped tubes), but most importantly they adopted the Merckx Century geometry with slightly slacker seat tubes....in all very different then the Litespeed Classic.
Lou
OK, sure. I acquiesce. I'm just remembering this one gal I knew who had a EM Ti bike (it even had, as I recall, a decal that read "Made by Litespeed" on it), and I couldn't see a whole lotta difference from a Classic I had at the time. Guess I didn't look close enough. I also owned a Litespeed "Team Issue" that had an ovalized down tube...hmmmm. Jeff N.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Rule #5

Which model is this frame? Can you tell by looking at the photos or do you need more details, which I don't have. Where can I find more information about Merckx titanium frames?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:38 PM

That looks very similar to my former Merckx Majestic, only a bit smaller.

The Majestic was a great-fitting bike that did nothing else for me. It was neither particularly smooth riding, nor lively nor especially light. It did handle nicely, as Merckxes are wont to do.

Mine was a good bike, but not a great bike. It has been replaced by a Look 585, which is in my mind a vastly superior machine.

PS - it was made by Litespeed and the decal said so IIRC. Welds were nice. Not Moots nice, but still totally acceptably nice.

Last edited by saab2000; 05-24-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:43 AM

Do a google search for "merckx ax ex majestic"

You'll get lots of good info on search results from roadbikereview.com

Last edited by slowgoing; 05-25-2011 at 03:05 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:41 AM

I'd guess that's an EX, rather than an AX, based on the larger downtube, but that could be an illusion because of the frame's smallish size? I had an AX for a while and liked it quite a bit. I also had a Litespeed Classic and the geo was notably different - I personally liked the Merckx a lot more. I believe the AX and EX used the same geo, but the EX was partially a 6/4 frame while the EX was 3/2.5. This is all many years ago now and my memory for those details is getting a bit fuzzy.

-Ray
Old 05-25-2011, 04:28 AM
Dutch Oven

I have an EX. I don't think that is an EX, as mine has horizontal rear dropouts with screws, no cable stops on the HT, a decal instead of a badge on the HT and no collar at the top of the seat tube.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:29 AM

The AX had round tubing and the EX was shaped like Columbus MAX. Both had horizontal dropouts, Italian BB threads and Century geometry. Merks did not offer dedicated forks for these machines at the time. Pity, because folks would plug in what ever fork was popular at the time, mostly Kestrals.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:53 AM

I think there were 4 different Merckx ti frames. I have an early AX with 1 inch steerer tube, no welded-on cable adjusters, and no separate seatpost collar clamp ( http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...ghlight=humbug ). I think it's a great neutral bike. Agree with Saab that it's no Look 585, but a very capable bike, nonetheless. Especially on crappier roads and longer rides.

Other Merckx ti frames were the EX, Millenium (made of 6-4 ti, very shaped tubes), and the Majestic, which I consider a second generation AX - with 1-1/8 steerer tube, welded-on cable adjusters, and a seatpost collar. I wonder if something was lost, though, going to the Majestic from the AX...
Old 05-25-2011, 09:44 AM

I own Ray's old Merckx AX and I've ridden probably 20,000 miles on it. I also own a Merckx Corsa 01 in the same size and geometry. The two bikes have the same wheels, tires and similar components and handle nearly identical. Although made by Litespeed, the Merckx ti are not simply rebranded Litespeeds. My AX has the classic Merckx Century geometry and rides like a dream. The tubes are not all round, some are ovalized.

The frame in your photos looks like a Majestic to me - which was successor to the AX. Tv_Vt's description of the Merckx ti models looks correct based on my research on the subject.

Last edited by dawgie; 05-25-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:16 AM

i had a friend that had one he said it was great. i spent hours looking at the rear of that bike
cheers