Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2023, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimon View Post
Just saying it sucks. Thats all
Yep, which is why I've been here now going on 18 years. This was the final move when I retired from active duty. May move again only to downsize.
Old 03-13-2023, 05:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

17 address' in 20 years in the USN, including one overseas(Japan) and yup, it's a gigantic PITA...

This is STILL a bone of contention with the wife but often, after starting to get settled with the mountain of stuff, in boxes, I left, deployed, went to sea, went on 'det'..
"Bye honey, I'll be back in a few weeks(months)..."

Now been in one place for 30 years..and yup, nice. 'Maybe' one more move as the stairs get to be a challenge but not yet...

For right below..yes, 'they' move you but that can be great or really, really bad. Our furniture was 'to be moved' furniture' as in, they seemed to beat the snot out of it. We had claims every move except the one leaving Japan..like many things 'Japanese', their packers were excellent.

Always had metal 'cruise boxes' marked PBO(Packed By Owner), and locked..had the lock broken twice..Mostly personal stuff, like pictures that we didn't want the lizards to just go through and throw away when they saw it wasn't valuable. Claims but some stuff valuable to us we never saw again..A box of flight gear, as an example.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 03-13-2023 at 06:59 AM.
Old 03-13-2023, 06:40 AM

Been a year and still moving. Sucks. Only moved three times in my lifetime but not wanting to do it ever again. I don't know how you multiple movers have done it. (except for officers in the military where they move for you)
Old 03-13-2023, 06:48 AM

+1 on the downsizing. It's been ten years since our last move and there is still stuff in boxes unopened in the basement. At this point I should just bring them out to the trash without even looking inside because I obviously don't need it.
Old 03-13-2023, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Lemme see.. since Feb 2020 I've moved seven times.

And somehow I'm still married and (mostly) sane.

I don't recommend it.
Searching for that perfect bike and abode.
Old 03-13-2023, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlucci1106 View Post
Funny! I'm about to move to a new place too, and also have a Mini Cooper! Hey, I have been looking at the Mini-branded towers and Crossbars. I have the roof rails. Are you pretty satisfied with these? (sorry for thread drift) Edit: Flite saddles, too-- what are we brothers? Haha
Yeah, the system has been great! Noise level has been much better than others I've had. I'm sure I've exceeded the weight limit many times carrying lumber. Tower covers have UV breakdown, but they've been up there for years.

I do have a silly number of Flites and we're all brothers/sisters here.
Old 03-13-2023, 07:25 AM

depends I guess, we lived in our last place for 23 years and decided to down size the house but build a bigger garage and cut the yard from 1 acre to 1/2 acre so moving did not sux at all. In fact it was great, I hate yard work but like to work on my toys. When we moved I rented a big dumpster and started throwing stuff out. We have been married over 30 years and I swear we had unused wedding gifts that hit the dumpster...I told my two adult kids they needed to decide what they wanted and what was being donated or tossed. I am 64yoa and growing up lived basically in the same house until I was 18yoa and moved out and as an adult I have lived in 5 different places and from the time I hit 25 and bought my own place I have lived in 3 houses.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
Searching for that perfect bike and abode.
If only it were that.. poor timing making a big life change right before a global pandemic, then dealing with the fallout from that, followed by a series of shxxxy landlords that have been suffered through while waiting for a market correction.

The last one said: “how bout we don’t fix the home’s black mold issue AND we raise your rent 12%?”

This on a new build house they paid $400k for in 2018 and were getting over $3k/mon out of us.

And they live on a multi-million dollar equestrian estate outside the city.

Some people have no shame.
Old 03-13-2023, 01:15 PM

I'll see your home move and raise you a machine shop move!

In some ways moving the shop is easier, the stuff is bigger and you just use a forklift or call in the rigging company to move the really big stuff. But getting it all set back up is a major undertaking. If we outgrow this spot, I'm selling it all and moving to the beach for half the year!

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 03-13-2023, 01:29 PM
50 bpm

There's a reason "move" is a four-letter word. Three of them across country and we're done, planted, period.
Old 03-13-2023, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
+1 on the downsizing. It's been ten years since our last move and there is still stuff in boxes unopened in the basement. At this point I should just bring them out to the trash without even looking inside because I obviously don't need it.
My wife says that about books in boxes that have been taped up for going on seven years. As soon as I build the darn shelves...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 03-13-2023, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Lemme see.. since Feb 2020 I've moved seven times.

And somehow I'm still married and (mostly) sane.

I don't recommend it.
I could only do that if "moving" meant disconnecting shore power.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 03-13-2023, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Yup it does, and I feel your pain. I hope not to repeat the process... ever again.

We moved 500 miles in Aug of 21. 2 trips in the Mini with bikes and tools. Final trip in a jam packed 26' U-Haul pulling a trailer with the Mini and tandem. My wife followed with our 5 cats. After spending 11 months in a studio apartment, we finally unpacked and settled in.

Quite the relief to be done, and I'm enjoying a slower and more relaxed life. Just focus on your end goal. It'll be worth it.
How do you like the Assos bike? Always curious about this bike and first time I see one on the forum!
Old 03-14-2023, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnny View Post
How do you like the Assos bike? Always curious about this bike and first time I see one on the forum!
I bought it new, after seeing one under Danielle Nardello for a week long tour in Italy. He raced for the factory team and turns out, had a hand in its design.

I prefer several of my steel bikes to the Goomah, but it is quite nice. Comfortable, Handles well and it's very light. 14.25 lbs with pedals and cages. I like the looks of it as well. Very clean lines, especially with the ISP.

And now back to moving sucks...
Old 03-15-2023, 05:59 AM

Quote:
I bought it new, after seeing one under Danielle Nardello for a week long tour in Italy. He raced for the factory team and turns out, had a hand in its design.

I prefer several of my steel bikes to the Goomah, but it is quite nice. Comfortable, Handles well and it's very light. 14.25 lbs with pedals and cages. I like the looks of it as well. Very clean lines, especially with the ISP.

And now back to moving sucks...
Thanks for sharing. And with that great low weight, it sure helped with the move :P