Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2017, 04:16 PM

Help with a Reynolds Expander in an Alpha Q Ti Fork

I am having a hard time getting the expander pictured below centered and tight enough in the titanium steerer of my Alpha Q fork and was wondering if anyone had a diagnosis or install tricks to get it seated properly.

My issue is that when I try to tighten the 5mm allen bolt in the center it only tightens to a point and then the whole assembly with either turn or come out of axis in the steerer. As tight as I can get it to that point, tightening the top cap pulls the expander up in the steerer before enough pressure is applied to seat the headset.

Thanks in advance Paceliners!

Old 05-25-2017, 04:19 PM

believe thats an alu insert an not titanium but either way you can use a star nut in those inserts. Lighter as well .) but you will need a new top cap alsol as the reynolds are specific to the threads on the expander.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:20 PM
but not really

I think you're trying to use Nissan parts in a Honda...

I don't know about Alpha Q forks with ti steerers, but the carbon steerer Alpha Q's had a proprietary insert that was glued in with a star nut already pressed in place. And they used a traditional King/Cane Creek/Ahead style top cap, not an internal expander like Reynolds and Enve.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:33 PM

I had the same problem with the same fork. I also tried a star nut, and that slipped out eventually also. I bought this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Titan...-/172019480803 (except in 1 1/8") and it's working perfectly.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:39 PM

I'll hazard a guess that the expander is at the end of its range of adjustment when you're trying to secure it in the steerer.

Some inserts are made for thicker walled steerers/those with a smaller I.D. such as carbon steerers. The thinner walls of the titanium steerer result in a larger I.D. which is beyond the expansion range of your insert.

Try a different insert.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:44 PM

For reference here is the fork I am using

It does have a Ti steerer and I was wondering if that was the cause of the slipping. It sounds like those knurled ones might be the answer...

Last edited by brewsmith; 05-25-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewsmith View Post
For reference here is the fork I am using

[IMG][/IMG]

It does have a Ti steerer and I was wondering if that was the cause of the slipping. It sounds like those knurled ones might be the answer...
oh my bad, from the top view of your steerer i thought i saw the usual insert in a carbon steerer. If this is the case i would just try another expander. Ive had reynolds expander slip in carbon fork made by reynolds so def worth another try with different make.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:48 PM

I had a heck of a time finding an expander that would work on my 1" Alpha Q's Ti steerer and ended up using the Profile Gap Cap. Although a bit awkward to use it has a lot of range (works on both 1" and 1-1/8" steerers) and once set was solid.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:55 PM

You will have to try a different plug. Perhaps take the f/f to the lbs and see if they have something that works, or buy the one of those that bjf and donevwil listed, as they say that those work fine.

As others have stated, the issue is most probably the thinner i.d. of the steerer tube. I have never measured an Alpha-Q with ti steerer, but a Reynolds carbon steerer has about twice the wall thickness of an Alpha-Q carbon steerer. The Reynolds plug of course works on a Reynolds fork, but no way on an Alpha-Q.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
You will have to try a different plug. Perhaps take the f/f to the lbs and see if they have something that works, or buy the one of those that bjf and donevwil listed, as they say that those work fine.

As others have stated, the issue is most probably the thinner i.d. of the steerer tube. I have never measured an Alpha-Q with ti steerer, but a Reynolds carbon steerer has about twice the wall thickness of an Alpha-Q carbon steerer. The Reynolds plug of course works on a Reynolds fork, but no way on an Alpha-Q.
You are correct, the ID of the Alpha Q Ti steerers, both 1" and 1-1/8", were outside the adjustability of most expanders designed for much thicker walled CF. Star fangled nuts also don't work well as the Ti is too hard.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:44 PM
Riding Along

Why not just slide a section of 700c inner tube over the insert. Fills the gap and provides lots of grip.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Why not just slide a section of 700c inner tube over the insert. Fills the gap and provides lots of grip.
Might work at least as a temporary fix, I'll give it a go until I get a new expander

Edit: no go, the inner tube was too thick to get the expander inserted before expanding and if I cut it down to the point it would fit in, it still slips. Ti designs expander has been ordered and I will report back with details. FWIW, the ID of this particular forks' steerer is just shy of 26mm.

Last edited by brewsmith; 05-25-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:15 PM

Just a quick follow-up. I ended up buying the Ti Cycles expander posted above and it works like a charm. Thanks all!