Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-27-2022, 07:14 AM

Amsoil HDMP
Old 05-27-2022, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Go to a boat store like west marine. Marine grade corrosion inhibitor is excellent and protects boat parts from salt water spray so it is damned good for inside your bike tubes. The CRC stuff is cheap and effective. Yamaha makes yamashield which is also good but there are a number of good options at the boat shop.
I'll second the CRC can - does what you want. I've also used linseed oil on plenty of frames.
Old 05-27-2022, 10:13 AM
Everything is connected

I'll jump on the Fluid Film bandwagon too...turned my LBS on to it as his JP Weigle Frame Saver supply is dwindling.

https://www.fluid-film.com/products/...-aerosol-bulk/
Old 05-27-2022, 10:23 AM

I used Fluid Film for work. I use it on components that are sealed in chamber that holds treated water. I spray it on moving parts that are made out of stainless steel so they don’t rust. If not sprayed it will rust within weeks. I’ve saved my customers thousands because of it.

I use Fluid Film inside my bikes.
Old 05-27-2022, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
The bat signal goes off at JP Weigle headquarters when this subject comes up, so he might reply. I recall his problem with fluid film was that it didn't get into difficult to access locations. So using the tube applicator hopefully fixes that.
My experience with it is different. Fluid film creeps into every nook and cranny. I've posted about this before but I'll do it again.

I used FF twice a year on my daily driver 86 FJ60 Landcruiser. I daily drove this rig for over a decade through New England salted Winters. These vehicles could run almost forever but the bodies were notorius for rusting out. I had zero rust issues on this vehicle after all that time. I would coat the underside making sure to spray it onto all surfaces, inside frame rails, and into body panels. One year I decided to put body sliders on and had to cut the lower rockers off to weld them in. These were areas that were rolled and sealed that I couldn't directly spray the Fluid Film into. When we cut them open we discovered that somehow the Fluid Film had crept into that area. I knew that the stuff would creep but I was amazed at how far it got into an area I couldn't access. Seeing this is also why I started using it on my bike frames.

The thing is it doesn't harden. An area it might not immediately get applied to will slowly get crept up on.

There probably are others things that will work as well but I've seen what this stuff does over a long span of time and I'm sold. Only thing I would use for rust prevention and suspension.

W.

EDIT: If you are concerned about initial coverage you could get one of these attachments (but it's going to get all up in there eventually anyway )... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzJeEPtvwqw

Last edited by William; 05-27-2022 at 11:25 AM.

Tags
fluid film, frame, rust, rust prevention