Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 01-01-2016, 08:19 AM

Yes will be there. This year will be first time on a tandem. Deliberating between 115 and 160.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:28 AM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by velomonkey View Post
You all kill me. Seriously. Kill me.

I would register and recently every year I go through this - my wife's birthday is 8/19 - I can't say "hey babe, happy b'day . . . . so um I know it's Friday and your birthday but . . . I am gonna leave to do this bike event. Really. Happy B'day."

Look for me in 4 years when her birthday is on a Monday.

She'll get older whether or not you're there...
Old 01-01-2016, 08:35 AM

This looks amazing. I live in California and had no idea it existed. Whats the right kind of bike for it?
Old 01-01-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
This looks amazing. I live in California and had no idea it existed. Whats the right kind of bike for it?
Everything from a cross bike to a dedicated gravel bike to a rando bike to a mountain bike to a road racing bike can/has been used to do these routes successfully. The choice is very much dependent on the rider experience, comfort zone and what has been happening with rainfall and the resulting road conditions. Tires with enough volume to dampen the rough surfaces seem to be the goal for must folks...
Old 01-01-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
Everything from a cross bike to a dedicated gravel bike to a rando bike to a mountain bike to a road racing bike can/has been used to do these routes successfully. The choice is very much dependent on the rider experience, comfort zone and what has been happening with rainfall and the resulting road conditions. Tires with enough volume to dampen the rough surfaces seem to be the goal for must folks...
As soon as I posted it I rolled my eyes at myself, knowing this would be the answer, haha! My comfort zone would probably be a cx bike with a few tire options for a game day decision. Either way looks amazing and something worth traveling for.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:00 PM
Head to Ned

Quote:
As soon as I posted it I rolled my eyes at myself, knowing this would be the answer, haha! My comfort zone would probably be a cx bike with a few tire options for a game day decision. Either way looks amazing and something worth traveling for.
gears. low gears.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:23 PM

Does D2R2 sell out? Is there a need to register early (aside from any money savings)? Still figuring out the 2016 biking events calendar...
Old 01-01-2016, 12:34 PM

Such awesome routes

Not sure which I'll plug into

I've regd for the Overland, however and am stoked
Old 01-01-2016, 01:20 PM
aka RAEKWON

I am thinking either 115k or 160k depending on how I feel in August. I did the 100k 2 years ago and it was awesome and want to turn things up

Can't wait till August
Old 01-01-2016, 01:33 PM

I'm in on my IndyFab factory light weight. #4 for me. This is a must every year. See you there. Cheers
Old 01-01-2016, 03:51 PM

Never done this and am seriously contemplating it. What is the course like? I have done 100 mile solo road rides with about 5000ft of climbing in a day but not sure which to sign up for as the course is surely unlike anything I have done before. How much of this ride is paved vs gravel/dirt. Are there lots of climbs?
Old 01-01-2016, 04:06 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Never done this and am seriously contemplating it. What is the course like? I have done 100 mile solo road rides with about 5000ft of climbing in a day but not sure which to sign up for as the course is surely unlike anything I have done before. How much of this ride is paved vs gravel/dirt. Are there lots of climbs?
I would say 70% gravel. Tons of climbing. If you have done 100 mile 5k elevation you will be fine for the 160k or even 180k. It is hard though and you will fell it

You should sign up, one of the best rides ever.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:15 PM

Bear in mind that the 100k (~62 miles if you don't go off course) has around 7k of elevation and, as noted, is 60 - 70% unpaved (more dirt than gravel--it is D2R2, not DGR2). For the first time, the 100k is probably more than enough of a challenge.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I was in a situation similar to yours last year. I did the 160K and enjoyed it. Uncrowded and relaxed atmosphere. Plenty of climbing, but most is over by the 2/3 point. Good thing, too, since by then I was beat. I was under geared (for my age) at 42x30 on a vintage bike.......and will not make that mistake again. I used 32mm tires and pinch flatted once (in a RT2 pothole).

Early on there is a single short downhill jeep trail where you will likely want to walk unless you are very experienced with off road descending, the rest is pretty straight forward.

I do have one observation worth considering. Don't just focus on the 9000ft of climbing.....with the right gears and decent fitness that is no big deal.....instead remember there is also 9000ft of descending. Much of that is on dirt, some will be washboard. Getting comfortable doing that at speed, I suspect, is the real secret to getting the most out of this ride.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I'm traveling from California for it and meeting a couple of friends from Colorado there. It helps when relatives live 30. Minutes from the start.