Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2016, 05:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
Yes, I know Conti tubes have removable stems as do Schwalbe tubes. When I said they did not have tubes with removable stems, I did not confine my comment to just those two brands as other brands also have removable stems. I find many shops carry cheapo tubes...probably the customers do not want to spend $15-20 for a high quality, light tube.

I can only speak for myself.

I don't think 28 mm Conti tires are so exotic.

Are size 47 cycling shoes that exotic, too. 26 mm Specialized tires. Or even 155 mm wide Specialized saddle. Multiple shops. Maybe I'm lazy. The closest shop is 10-15 minutes by car. It is just a lot less effort to buy over the internet but I have tried to buy what I can local. I do feel bad for shop owners.
Not trying to argue but most tubes have removable cores and are in the $6-$7 range, like Conti.

Most road bikes sold, the basic, $1000-$2000 models can't fit a 28c tire. When in the shop, I sold few, altho I carried them.

size 47 shoes? Yup, when the buyer gets a size run, it looks like the expected bell curve..

Can't speak to trekspecializedgiantcannondale stores..

Shop owners who don't recognize the reality of the interweb, and don't embrace things that you can't get over the interweb, like service, are in trouble. The low end, like the $279 bike, to people that are not enthusiasts, will work. Service shops work. VERY high end boutique, like AboveCategory, work. The 25,000 square foot, BikeVillage may be in trouble.

BUT good owners can't be everything to everybody. Gotta find that market segment, pursue it aggressively. And not roll over when somebody comes in asking for something you may sell one or 2 of per year. It's not hard, being in bike retail but it can be difficult.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:02 AM
Proud Grandpa

[QUOTE=kitsnob;1981266]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
That's not how capitalism works. Alternatives spring up. Like:

There's a mechanic near me who got tired of LBS environments and now works out of their home. Their service rates, because of no overhead, are lower than any local shop.

There's a new option for service now ... anyone hear of VELOFIX?
It's a MB Sprinter van equipped with the latest tools, consumables and CERTIFIED mechanics.
They come to you via an on line appointment system.
Their tag line is: Save Time, Ride More
Its a franchise btw ...
I think that's the one where you drop $90,000, get the van and all..Pay something like 5% of everything to the company.

I started Vecchio's with less than 1/2 of that. PLUS, can do more since don't have to drive to get there. PLUS had an opportunity to sell higher margin stuff, like soft goods.

PLUS, say the Velofix guy doesn't have the BB you need...what happens then?

I think it's an interesting idea. BUT I like the idea of brick and mortar, one location, small bike repair place more better. Like the specialty car repair places now so common..Honda only, Subaru only..etc.

IMHO, and all that.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:11 AM

After reading how cheap you guys are I would hate to own the nut on this deal essentially the pricing would have to be similar to a bike shop if you wanted to make any money as there is still overhead and all your doing is repairs and driving around in a vehicle that is expensive to operate. The margin on quality repair and replacement parts is terrible (shimano). The unicorn drawer full of rainbows, 10 year campy and quill stems is a killer. Repairs are just too cheap and take up too much time to make any $. Shops face this issue too. A helmet is a much better turn than a wheel build or a tune

This truck thing is atough way to make a living let alone the fees. Only person making out is the person selling it. There will be an outlier and that will be used to market it. Hence it is basically a pyramid scheme

Give me the snap on route any day, you're selling brand new stuff with incredible margins

Quote:
Originally Posted by upon3 View Post
How exactly is it a pyramid scheme? I think your definition is off. This is a franchise—no different than independent owners of SnapOn trucks or the local cable installer. It requires capital investment, like any other small business franchise.

Sounds like an interesting business model with no worries of bike inventory or storefront rent.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:40 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by upon3 View Post
How exactly is it a pyramid scheme? I think your definition is off. This is a franchise—no different than independent owners of SnapOn trucks or the local cable installer. It requires capital investment, like any other small business franchise.

Sounds like an interesting business model with no worries of bike inventory or storefront rent.
Much of the same fixed expenses still exist in a mobile bike shop, the biggest is $ to maintain the van. Van breaks, you are out of biz until it's fixed. Still gotta have inventory, just bike parts, not bikes. AND insurance, CC costs, etc. And I still wonder what happens when you drive for 45 minutes, start the bike and see that you need a middle shimano 6600 chainring...what happens to the bike? Stored, come back later?

I think it's an interesting idea but for less than the entry $, you could start your own(altho buying from distributors may be an issue)...and not be tied to the mother company. OR a destination store front. Here in the republic, there are small, industrial park places, 500-1000 sq ft places for $10-$12 per sq ft..Just have to model it..$1000 per month rent, $x for insurance, utilities, etc=$fixed expenses per month, translates to how much needed per day, factoring in margin.. 5 jobs, average $-$150-$750 per day...plus margin on parts, type thing..isn't hard.

For parts, the mothership buys and then 'sells' to the franchise owners. Somewhat like Performance Bike-Nashbar gig..
Old 05-30-2016, 09:29 AM

This is a dilemma I've been facing recently. I'm almost 30 and grew up ordering stuff on the internet, chasing the best deals, buying gently used, etc. Heck, I still do almost every time I buy something.

However, I've started to realize that a couple of the group rides I go on weekly are filled with shop owners, mechanics, and employees. Do I want to support them? Absolutely. I own my own business and know how difficult it is to stay afloat (still wouldn't trade it). But, I also agree with those who say the business needs to adapt.

Personally, I see it going to more of a small margin on parts and sales (except bikes, because you need someone to fit you, help you decide, all that) and more focused on service vs sales.

I try not to look at online prices when I need something and want to shop local. It helps a bit.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:11 AM

I get the dilemma...local folks can be great....especially via a good mechanic... I do mostly my own work, but still, our local place has a great campy person who has helped me in an emergency ...so I like to support them...last time I was down there I thought maybe I would pick up a tire I needed...a conti 4000 etc...while getting some slight work done which I was paying full price for...that conti was 99 bucks for a single...I could buy two online for 80...so of course, I didnt pick it up...but was glad to pay full price for work done...but yeah, it gets complicated via this issue...
Old 06-01-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Just don't charge me list in this day and age. That's just insulting.

Do you bargain for bananas at the grocery store? How about for socks? Are you gonna ask the mechanic at the auto shop to cut you a deal?

Tell where list is an insult?
Old 06-01-2016, 07:28 PM

I don't see the harm of giving an LBS the chance to have less of your dollars instead of none. The U.S. is rather unique in that we tend to have a weird social contract against haggling, while it tends to be odd not to in many other places. If I'm not willing to pay someones asking price for manufactured goods, not entrusting them with the price I am willing to pay should be considered an insult as well. For me the line only blurs for more artistic endeavors, I wouldn't for instance haggle on the price of a meal.