Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2024, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Thanks...the Sojourn Porter 46 seems to be the update, although it seems to have somewhat limited availability.

Looks like it will pack better than the more traditional backpacks. It does have an external water bottle sleeve.

Packing cubes will be very helpful...

I'm torn between the Porter and the more technical backpacks, which may be a bit more comfortable to carry through airports...
the Porter carries very nicely with its hidden hip straps and padded shoulder straps when loaded. It is a rounder more efficient shape than a traditional backpack and will be easier to fit in places while holding more without all the extra exposed straps and usually rigid frame of a hiking backpack.
Old 04-17-2024, 03:25 PM

Something like the Osprey Farpoint 40 might work well for this. That's what I use for most of my travel. Overhead-size, laptop sleeve, plenty of space for a few days of clothes and shoes. The straps pack away if you want to use it duffel-style. And the straps and comfy enough for long walks/day hikes.

https://www.osprey.com/farpoint-40-t...Space%2520Blue
Old 04-17-2024, 03:34 PM

I go for underseat luggage with wheels, so nice to get things off your back. You can always keep a small tote bag or backpack for extras, but I avoid the backpack whenever possible.

Like this: https://shop.samsonite.com/luggage/u...12934XXXX.html
Old 04-17-2024, 04:25 PM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

Personally, the Osprey Farpoint wheeled is what I would go for. Options to roll it with wheels (nice in airport), carry like duffel and also hipbelt/backpack style carry as well - (it's a nice day, i'll walk the 3 miles to the train station instead of taking a cab).

My only beef with a "backpack" backpack (hip belt, daisy chains, etc) is that depending on your business, if you show up to an office with one of those it's just...kinda weird. The Osprey farpoint wheeled strikes a nice balance.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:44 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass_biker View Post
I swear by the Osprey Transporter 40. You can wear it like a backpack, or sling it over your shoulder, or carry it like a suitcase. Handles at the top and the bottom. One external zippered pocket for odds and ends. And the straps pack into a rear zippered flap. In this I usually manage to get:

- running shoes
- casual or dress shoes (as needed)
- workout wear (shorts/t shirt etc.)
- undergarments etc.
- 1 suit + 2 shirts + 1 tie
- 1 sweater
- t shirt

Folding/rolling well is the key for optimizing the space for the items above.

My work takes me up and down the Eastern Seaboard, and I’m usually multi-modal (car/Amtrak/plane/sometimes CitiBike in NYC) so this works like a charm in all the annoying overhead bins of trains/planes etc. including RJs.

If I need more space or am going for longer, I typically pair this with a very basic zippered tote for my iPad, notebooks, whatever I am reading etc. Then I have the Osprey on my back, and carry/sling my tote as needed.

My only wish for the Osprey is for an external water bottle sleeve.

MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I can always fit more in my osprey porter 40 than any suitcase allowed for check in. Great bags though not sure what the equivalent is now.
I uses an Osprey transporter 40 and a backpack for 2.5 weeks of travel. worked fine. That said, I am now about to try a Pata MLC45 and see how that works.

in the USA something wheeled is great. if you are dealing with subways/metros/cobbles in EU those wheels are not so great.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:53 PM

GoRuck GR2 person here as well, I use it with an insert for my camera stuff and still fit my laptop in it without issue and a pair of Vivo shoes that roll up small.
Old 04-17-2024, 10:14 PM
but not really

Patagonia MLC - maximum legal carryon

I've used mine for personal and business travel for 15+ years and it still looks and functions great. All four of us in the family now have our own. It was no problem traveling in Spain for 7 days and recently in Paris for 5 days. I've done 2 week non-business trips myself by packing really efficiently

I love the freedom to maneuver quickly and easily in busy spaces and regardless of the surface by using the backpack. It's soft enough that it easily fits in any overhead bin and I have never been challenged by the airline crew to check it if I don't want to.

My everyday work backpack is a small Osprey something. I used to wear it for bike commuting and it is still in great shape. I will often carry the Osprey with my laptop and miscellaneous stuff while clothes and shoes are packed in the MLC. I've never had a problem carrying on the two backpacks and if necessary, the Osprey easily slides under the seat. When I'm in business meetings, I rely on the Osprey or a small padded laptop sleeve. I have carried the MLC into conference rooms when I'm taking a taxi straight from the client site after the meeting and I never feel like it's too casual/sporty in a suit and tie business meeting setting.

Here's the current version: https://www.patagonia.com/product/bl...gage-backpacks

I"m not convinced newer is better. My 15 yr old version seems simpler and more subtle. We bought used, older ones for the kids last year and saved a boatload while getting a better bag IMHO.

Last edited by old fat man; 04-17-2024 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-17-2024, 10:46 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerat View Post
GoRuck GR2 person here as well, I use it with an insert for my camera stuff and still fit my laptop in it without issue and a pair of Vivo shoes that roll up small.
My mistake. Mine is a GR2 as well. I’ve had it for about 10 years or so. Been through lots of trips, hikes, thrown around. The thing is heavy but tough. One of the shoulder straps got torn a little. Goruck repaired it quick. Good as new now.
Old 04-18-2024, 08:34 AM
slower than you

I bought a Patagonia Black hole 60L for short trips, but it makes an excellent carry on. Fits nicely overhead. Ski boots plus a lot of stuff in there. Only complaint is that it needs a strap to secure the two backpack straps across the chest so that they stay secure when I'm dragging other stuff, like a ski bag, through the airport. Otherwise, especially if I'm wearing a synthetic shell jacket, the straps slip off.
Old 04-18-2024, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
I bought a Patagonia Black hole 60L for short trips, but it makes an excellent carry on.
I have a Black Hole as well, 55L size (didn't know there was a 60L). It's technically over-size for carry-on. Most US carriers won't stop you, but if it's a carrier that uses dimensional boxes to check carry-on size, you might be out of luck.

But, it's a great bag for schlepping a pile of bike gear. I wouldn't want to wear it all day, but for transmitting from train station to hotel, it's fine.

So, my luggage options are roughly...
- Rapha race day bag for one-day events
- 2 different size backpacks for day hikes
- Osprey Farpoint for carry-on/overhead air travel (usually in combo with a daypack)
- Patagucci Black Hole for long weekends and longer trips by car or as checked baggage (which I try very hard to avoid doing).
Old 04-18-2024, 09:47 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
I have a Black Hole as well, 55L size (didn't know there was a 60L). It's technically over-size for carry-on. Most US carriers won't stop you, but if it's a carrier that uses dimensional boxes to check carry-on size, you might be out of luck.

But, it's a great bag for schlepping a pile of bike gear. I wouldn't want to wear it all day, but for transmitting from train station to hotel, it's fine.

So, my luggage options are roughly...
- Rapha race day bag for one-day events
- 2 different size backpacks for day hikes
- Osprey Farpoint for carry-on/overhead air travel (usually in combo with a daypack)
- Patagucci Black Hole for long weekends and longer trips by car or as checked baggage (which I try very hard to avoid doing).
I don't think they make the 60L anymore, switched to other sizes. Never had an issue at the gate. Love that thing, gotta get that strap issue fixed. It will probably last forever, and, if anything breaks, Patagonia always fixes or replaces it for life. I have experienced that more than once with their garments.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:52 AM

https://www.deuter.com/us-en/shop/ba...rans-alpine-30
I used this one for commuting to collage. it holds a lap top nicely, its intended use is for biking so there is a little pocket for a mini pump, and Deuter has a lifetime time no questions asked repair or replacement guarantee.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
I don't think they make the 60L anymore, switched to other sizes. Never had an issue at the gate. Love that thing, gotta get that strap issue fixed. It will probably last forever, and, if anything breaks, Patagonia always fixes or replaces it for life. I have experienced that more than once with their garments.
The 55L is 22.8" x 13.3" x 9.5"

Overhead bins are 22" x 14" x 9"

So, it'll fit the VAST majority of the time, given it's usually full of squishy clothes. Just wanted to call out that it's technically not within carry-on spec for some planes.
Old 04-18-2024, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post

If you still insist on one large backpack, Tom Bihn released the Technonaut (aesthetically not my thing, but Tom Bihn makes good products), and Evergoods has a slick Civic Travel Bag.
I like the Tom Bihn Aeronaut 45 for long trips and the Filson Ripstop Pullman (36L) for short trips. Both carry as a backpack or as a suitcase. Tom Bihn cubes.

Instagram
Old 04-18-2024, 10:31 AM

I like these cubes…6 for the price of 2 vs Tom bihn.