Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2014, 09:29 AM

Period correct.

Is kinda like politically correct,IMO (Vintage/Older bikes and components).
I only started this thread because in the past month I been asked twice is my Merckx "period correct".
Seriously I buy bikes to ride not to mimic original retail. I just happen to prefer older well made steel frames and want the best operating bike I can build within a reasonable price range. Sometimes that requires I mix and match components from Campagnolo/Shimano/Sram/Sugino/Suntour. That's all.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:42 AM

If you bought it to ride, then whatever you wish/like is fine.

If you bought it as wall art, then I would think correct is the way to go.

Something like this, IMO is wall art.

http://www.ebay.it/itm/1985-NOS-Firs...d=750354679988
Old 12-17-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobswire View Post
I only started this thread because in the past month I been asked twice is my Merckx "period correct".
Seriously I buy bikes to ride not to mimic original retail. I just happen to prefer older well made steel frames and want the best operating bike I can build within a reasonable price range. Sometimes that requires I mix and match components from Campagnolo/Shimano/Sram/Sugino/Suntour. That's all.

No, it's more like "collector" vs "rider". It's why I'm on the internet-BOB list but not the Classic Rendezvous list.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:01 AM

I have been collecting vintage bikes for over 2 decades and I would estimate that 95% of those who claim to be vintage bike enthusiasts are exclusively interested in vintage bikes because they are parsimonious and vintage bikes give the best bang for the buck. Were the comparative price of vintage bikes to modern bikes ever to increase to those levels seen with high end sports cars, I would expect all of these "enthusiasts" to immediately and permanently lose interest in the vintage items.

Given that your Merckx is nothing overly special or unusual, I say continue along the course that you have started, use the components that you feel offer you the best return on expenditure. There is nothing wrong with being parsimonious
Old 12-17-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:

Your bike is a travesty and you sir should send that to me so I kind make it proper and enjoy it in all its properness.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
No, it's more like "collector" vs "rider". It's why I'm on the internet-BOB list but not the Classic Rendezvous list.
Great differentiation!

All of my bikes (except one) are period correct. The old stuff wears the parts that they would have had when they were new. The newer stuff wears newer parts. The newer stuff is ridden much more while the older bikes are mostly wall-hangers. The newer stuff racked up 4K miles this year while the old stuff only collected a couple hundred.

This is the path that works for my interests.

Texbike

Last edited by texbike; 12-17-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
Great differentiation!

All of my bikes (except one) are period correct. The old stuff wears the parts that they would have had when they were new. The newer stuff wears newer parts. The newer stuff is ridden much more while the older bikes are mostly wall-hangers. The newer stuff racked up 4K miles this year while the old stuff only collected a couple hundred.

This is the path that works for my interests.

Texbike
I should have been more explicit,when I said period correct I mean like dedicated Campagnolo Nuovo Record, DA 7400, Suntour Superbe or the like. For my modern bikes I tend to use modern shifters and components but they too may be a mix from different makers. Though I have no qualms using modern campy on the Merckx or the 70's Richman that I own.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:36 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

I agree. The heart of the bike is the frame/fork. Have ya seen my Merckx MXLeader? The 'ultimate' of NOT period correct.

And yes, yes, it was dented up and I have a spare.

http://s148.photobucket.com/user/chi...ml?sort=3&o=16

My Moots has a mix of Phil BB, 1996 or so Record crank, 7s freewheel, 1986 Athena rear der, 2006 Centaur DP brakes, Mirage plastic brake levers(ERGO guts stripped)etc...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 12-17-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:

The worst thing about that bike is that it's photographed from the non-drive side. WHAT were you thinking???
I actually thought this might be a punctuation thread...
Old 12-17-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
the worst thing about that bike is that it's photographed from the non-drive side. What were you thinking???
+1
Old 12-17-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
The worst thing about that bike is that it's photographed from the non-drive side. WHAT were you thinking???
I actually thought this might be a punctuation thread...
O.K. I'll flip it around, this better?

Old 12-17-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I agree. The heart of the bike is the frame/fork. Have ya seen my Merckx MXLeader? The 'ultimate' of NOT period correct.

And yes, yes, it was dented up and I have a spare.

http://s148.photobucket.com/user/chi...ml?sort=3&o=16

My Moots has a mix of Phil BB, 1996 or so Record crank, 7s freewheel, 1986 Athena rear der, 2006 Centaur DP brakes, Mirage plastic brake levers(ERGO guts stripped)etc...
I used to like to strip non working mirage levers to use as brake levers also.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
O.K. I'll flip it around, this better?
No, too busy. There's a reason why bikes must be photographed in front of white garage doors
Old 12-17-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Vitus View Post
No, too busy. There's a reason why bikes must be photographed in front of white garage doors
Tough crowd!
Old 12-17-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Tough crowd!
That's OK, I don't have a white garage door let alone a garage! Nice bike from any angle ;-)