Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2024, 04:29 PM

We saw two within 10 minutes last weekend on the 405 (imagine that). My wife thought they didn't look that "big". I thought the opposite. I don't completely understand the idea of the post-apocalyptic electric car. The tech is interesting, the execution is not. I'm afraid of anyone that is attracted to that car. To be fair, they do look better in matte black.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
I admit I like the Cyber truck. If they made a model 1/2 to 2/3rds the size I'd be interested.
You mean a vehicle that’s the right size for 95% of owners 95% of the time and for the existing urban transport infrastructure?

Where’s the money/credit/debt financing in that…?
Old 03-01-2024, 08:37 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
I admit I like the Cyber truck. If they made a model 1/2 to 2/3rds the size I'd be interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by osbk67 View Post
You mean a vehicle that’s the right size for 95% of owners 95% of the time and for the existing urban transport infrastructure?
Based on the number of VERY LARGE trucks I see out there these days (and that clearly isn't just work trucks hauling stuff that by necessity have to be big) I'm pretty sure that the size of truck that's "the right size" for a large majority of the owners is the biggest they can get, given the monthly payments they can afford.
Old 03-02-2024, 10:14 AM

as requested

Quote:
Avanta! Gattca! Can we please get a photo of this car.
here it is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg avanti1.jpg (116.0 KB, 180 views)
Old 03-02-2024, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Based on the number of VERY LARGE trucks I see out there these days (and that clearly isn't just work trucks hauling stuff that by necessity have to be big) I'm pretty sure that the size of truck that's "the right size" for a large majority of the owners is the biggest they can get, given the monthly payments they can afford.
My neighborhood is full of big, shiny trucks that probably have never seen a dirt road.
Old 03-02-2024, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
here it is
Awesome! Thanks!
Old 03-02-2024, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
"afford"
Old 03-02-2024, 11:25 AM

I really like the way the Cyber truck looks!

Old 03-02-2024, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
We saw two within 10 minutes last weekend on the 405 (imagine that). My wife thought they didn't look that "big". I thought the opposite. I don't completely understand the idea of the post-apocalyptic electric car. The tech is interesting, the execution is not. I'm afraid of anyone that is attracted to that car. To be fair, they do look better in matte black.
As I said on the last page, I absolutely hate it. The ONLY thing I can give it credit for is that it doesn't have a 5'8" hood. This video about SUV hood blind zones has always stuck with me and I wish more people saw it and thought about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6k0-3QrZjA

I am 5'9" on a good day and there are many trucks where I live where I am shorter than the hood. Its craaaazy. And I'm not anti truck. I would love a Ford Maverick sized Toyota or Honda, I just hate unnecessarily large vehicles.
Old 03-02-2024, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
It was not. This is counterfactual.

Nobody who is gainfully employed by a carmaker thinks like this. Every product development cycle takes years and immense resources. Every one is intended to be a home run and needs to be, at the very least, a solid base hit.

With so much on the line, there's no room to say "we'll make this one extra ugly so they'll hate the next one a little less."
Not what I said, period.

And you think that this first-gen CyberTruck will be made in numbers even close to producing a profit? (not exactly what you said, but I digress), lol.

It's clearly a "home run" only at what it was supposed to do in terms of their future market. I merely suggested a theory about that.
Year one for this engineered sight-gag is what it is!
Old 03-02-2024, 02:27 PM

There have been cultural signifiers for as long as there's been mass culture, I guess: from stuff as inexpensive as Ché t-shirts and Bukowski books scattered on the coffee table to things as expensive as Cybertrucks and beach houses in Malibu (I'll take one of those, thanks).

Anyway, I saw another one today. It looked menacing—like it would roll coal if it could—which, I assume, is part of what the owner wants to signify. Still not my cuppa, but to each their own.
Old 03-02-2024, 02:58 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I did, for the first time, on my ride today.

This abomination makes the designers at AMC who came up with the Gremlin and the Pacer seem like Michelangelo in comparison. Saying it looks like it was beaten with an ugly stick is an insult to the ugly sticks.
I saw one for the first time today. I'd like to think I noticed it because of this thread...but I gotta agree, it was so conspicuously ugly -- or, at least, unfinished? like a junior high school metal shop project that was out for a beta test before it had been completed -- that I probably would have noticed it anyway.
Old 03-02-2024, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
I saw one for the first time today. I'd like to think I noticed it because of this thread...but I gotta agree, it was so conspicuously ugly -- or, at least, unfinished? like a junior high school metal shop project that was out for a beta test before it had been completed -- that I probably would have noticed it anyway.
I do think that the resemblance to custom or home-built is totally intentional, a preparational narrative toward market acceptance of a modern aero shape applied to trucks.

Whether it's ugly or not isn't so much the point, since this first-gen model will be made in only small numbers relative to amortizing costs of development, so all will get sold.
I consider this first version to likely have collector value over the long haul.
It's prodigious performance numbers lend solid credibility to a long-overdue (at least in the USA) aero-truck concept.

I think it's great that the time-honored tall grill of burly trucks may finally give way to the safer and more-efficient Dustbuster profile that already has long prevailed in other markets.
It should make Americans look a little bit smarter to the rest of the world.

Last edited by dddd; 03-02-2024 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Not really my cup-O-tea but if it floats your boat have fun.

If I wanted an electric truck I would rather recycle an older vehicle with an Ecrate motor like this 1978 Ford pickup with a Mustang Mach-E GT electric crate motor. Available for purchase from Ford Performance Parts for (a year or two ago) $3,900.

W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ETruck.jpg (79.6 KB, 118 views)
Old 03-04-2024, 08:54 PM

My neighbor just bought one of these, and seeing as this SF
Bay real estate at $1800+/sq.ft., he’s converted his garage into living space.
So he parks the thing on the street.

What an eyesore. It just looks comical. And huge. And SHINY.

And it already is a mess smudges and schumtz.