Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-30-2024, 05:06 PM

1UP Rack question

I'm looking at the single tray version of the Equip D versus the Heavy Duty. I dont really understand the difference as the heavy Duty has higher weight rating and is cheaper, but the Equip D has a different handle location for the tilt function. Which should I get? I dont mountain bike or fat bike.
Old 04-30-2024, 05:20 PM
n - 1

I bought my SD before the Equipd came out. 100% satisfied with it. I don’t fatbike anymore. Just road, gravel and mtb.

I don’t think I could justify spending extra on Equipd. No real benefits I can see.
Old 04-30-2024, 05:23 PM

I got the Equip’d rack this season, replacing a Thule roof rack system. This is my first and only 1 up so I can’t compare models, but so far I really like the Equip-d. Very secure and easy to use in general. The buttons that release the tire holding arms are stiff and hard to push, but not too onerous. Here is a comparison video I watched to help me decide: https://youtu.be/wugn4QerzYQ?si=m7q3mL6FEVEdrVBR

David
Old 04-30-2024, 06:55 PM

I got my 1-up racks before the Equip model came out. I will say that when I have it set up for 3 or 4 bikes at a time, I really think the Equip sounds like (altho I don’t know since I don’t own one) a better solution.

That said, when I have it set up single bike or for two bikes I see no need for the Equip because the latch is reachable.

So, if you are only getting the single bike version no need for the Equip in my opinion.
Old 04-30-2024, 07:13 PM

Yeah I would totally agree, when I have mind set up in the 4 bike mode the fold down option is pretty much almost useless.
Old 04-30-2024, 07:49 PM

I have a 4 year old heavy duty with 1 bike extension. Have never folded it down when loaded. Never needed to.
Old 04-30-2024, 09:55 PM

If you don’t plan to take your vehicle off-road while carrying your bike, and likely won’t need more than 2 bike positions on the rack, then get the Equip-D. It’s a wonderful rack for lighter duty use. But if you plan to eventually carry 3-4 bikes, get the heavy duty…and be sure that your vehicle has a 2” receiver. The Equip-D comes in either 1 1/4” or 2”, and I can verify that it rocks a little too much for my liking when using it with 2 extra trays on a less than perfect road (1 1/4” version).

My wife and I both have an Equip-D for our cars, with an extra tray available should we need it. These racks are nice and light, easy to put on and remove, and fold up very compactly on the car when not in use (when using a single tray). Most of my cycling friends now have 1Ups, of one varirety or another, after having disappointing experiences with Thule, Yakima, or worse. Feel free to PM me if you have any other specific questions about the different models.
Old 05-01-2024, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DfCas View Post
I'm looking at the single tray version of the Equip D versus the Heavy Duty. I dont really understand the difference as the heavy Duty has higher weight rating and is cheaper, but the Equip D has a different handle location for the tilt function. Which should I get? I dont mountain bike or fat bike.
Cal Phillips designed the original 1UP rack, but has since left the company. He went on to be part of another rack company called QuikrStuff.

No real reason to make the Equip D unless at some point 1UP is going to or has to stop making the original model?
Old 05-01-2024, 08:55 AM

I have a single equip d default but have extras to add.

I think it mostly comes down to if you ever plan to carry a heavy e bike or go off road frequently. Equip d if not.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 05-01-2024 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-01-2024, 08:58 AM

Unless you're talking about the new "Super Duty" just announced a few weeks ago the other thing with the Equip-D is it comes out of the box setup to support the biggest/fattest mountain bikes.

The Heavy Duty had/has an extra kit you purchased if you need that.

I think the other thing was the Equip-D automatically has the release lever moved up to the top/back of the rack without the add-on kit being required.

I can't really tell how much is my car vs the rack but with 3 big mountain bikes on mine the rack definitely does sway a little bit with the Equip-D, but maybe it would on my car with the Super duty too.

There is such a huge reduction in weight if you're carrying road bikes/gravel bikes it takes a lot of the differences right out of the equation and all options will be easy and rock solid.

My real question is why they are making so many different models at this point. It seems like they could greatly streamline.

Last edited by benb; 05-01-2024 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:32 AM
Meh

I may be the only person on the planet with a somewhat mixed experience with the EquipD, but mine consistently chews through or bends some of the metal teeth that keep the swing arms in place. The net effect is losing some of the positions since the teeth no longer function.

The metal bars with the teeth are easy to replace, but the replacements have lasted on order of weeks before breaking in the same way. The rack is still usable so I haven’t chucked it, but it means my long wheelbase bikes have to be stored off center to avoid the broken teeth.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
I may be the only person on the planet with a somewhat mixed experience with the EquipD, but mine consistently chews through or bends some of the metal teeth that keep the swing arms in place. The net effect is losing some of the positions since the teeth no longer function.

The metal bars with the teeth are easy to replace, but the replacements have lasted on order of weeks before breaking in the same way. The rack is still usable so I haven’t chucked it, but it means my long wheelbase bikes have to be stored off center to avoid the broken teeth.
That is definitely odd. I’ve not once had that happen with heavy usage over a few years.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:42 AM

Wow definitely weird, and especially that replacements keep doing the same thing... that would indicate it's something with the rack and not the individual pieces that are wearing excessively.

You'd think they'd walk you through something to figure out if there is something out of whack with your rack that is putting more load on the teeth.
Old 05-01-2024, 10:06 AM

Have you looked at the Quik Rack? The designer of the 1Up rack started his own company. I think it's a better design.
Old 05-01-2024, 10:14 AM

I have a SD and never used the tilt function even with additional trays.

I would definitely get additional locks to ensure all the keys are the same.