Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-05-2024, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3943374/

Results

No significant differences were observed between the various types of shoes in the maximum ankle inversion angle, the ankle inversion range of motion, and the maximum ankle inversion angular velocity after foot contact for all conditions.
NBA players must be suffering from some mass fashion hysteria. Bring back the low-tops! And while you’re at it…short shorts and the underhanded free-throw! *

Actually…just bring back Rick Berry.

* Rick Berry was one of the best free-throw shooters of all-time. So, the science is strong with underhand free-throws. I’ll wait for the underhanded renaissance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_9031.jpeg (128.8 KB, 188 views)
Old 03-05-2024, 11:58 AM

One would think the nba and collegiate level guys know what they are doing and it’s probably why there is a trend going back to low tops…

“Glance down at the footwear the players are lacing up for March Madness and many are wearing a version of a low-top sneaker (with the occasional mid-cut throw in).
It's a way to put their fastest, most comfortable, foot forward, especially since studies are inconclusive on whether high tops actually do what they were intended to do -- prevent sprained ankles.”
Old 03-05-2024, 12:51 PM

I've been through lots of hiking boots / shoes. I still have my Garmisch mountaineering boots from 50 years ago, which I had resoled 3 times.

Right now, my go to shoes are my Garmont Dragontail and Merrell Chameleon, both all leather with Vibram soles plus bumpers, which I find to be a good combination on our rocky trails.

Recently I couldn't help myself and picked up a pair of Eddie Bauer K-6 boots on sale. Kind of a nostalgia thing plus big clompers are back in style.
Old 03-05-2024, 01:31 PM

I forgot to buy 1/2 size big last pair trail shoes and regretted it.
Anyone else doing that?
Old 03-05-2024, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoker View Post
I forgot to buy 1/2 size big last pair trail shoes and regretted it.
Anyone else doing that?
Yep - street trainers are all size x. Trail runners are all size x.5. If that makes sense.
Old 03-05-2024, 02:38 PM

Quote:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3943374/

Results

No significant differences were observed between the various types of shoes in the maximum ankle inversion angle, the ankle inversion range of motion, and the maximum ankle inversion angular velocity after foot contact for all conditions.
Sweet Mary and Joseph, we've gone from bicycle rolling resistance to ankle rolling resistance.

It's a minefield of rabbit holes.
Old 03-05-2024, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Sweet Mary and Joseph, we've gone from bicycle rolling resistance to ankle rolling resistance.

It's a minefield of rabbit holes.
Let's see - I want mid shoes - here's what the farkin' lower shoes absolutely WON'T do: Keep my feet and ankles dry, from the splashing. Now, let's wait and here how I'm wrong about that too!

I'm sure I have no idea what I'm talking about from my own personal experience - yes, in real rain!

I'm just waiting about how I should spend money on waterproof socks for that so I can enjoy the low cut shoes. fluthermucker!
Old 03-05-2024, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeth1313 View Post
I'm just waiting about how I should spend money on waterproof socks for that so I can enjoy the low cut shoes. fluthermucker!
Your feet will probably get wet, maybe your ankles too, so I wouldn’t recommend it, but maybe someone else on the internet will.
Old 03-05-2024, 03:43 PM

Salomon XA Pro 3D for the narrow foot club.
Old 03-05-2024, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Let's see - I want mid shoes - here's what the farkin' lower shoes absolutely WON'T do: Keep my feet and ankles dry, from the splashing. Now, let's wait and here how I'm wrong about that too!

I'm sure I have no idea what I'm talking about from my own personal experience - yes, in real rain!

Well, gaiters are an option. But HYOH (hike your own hike).
Old 03-05-2024, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Your feet will probably get wet, maybe your ankles too, so I wouldn’t recommend it, but maybe someone else on the internet will.
In 2017, I purchased a pair of hoka tor mid shoes - the tor low shoes went on clearance and I purchased a pair of those.

This amazing thing happened - when I wore the low shoes in the wet, my ankles/feet got wet. When I wore/wear the mid shoes that doesn't happen.

I know, I know.
Old 03-05-2024, 05:17 PM

Quote:
In 2017, I purchased a pair of hoka tor mid shoes - the tor low shoes went on clearance and I purchased a pair of those.

This amazing thing happened - when I wore the low shoes in the wet, my ankles/feet got wet. When I wore/wear the mid shoes that doesn't happen.

I know, I know.
So the water ran in over the height of the shoe and the higher shoe material kept it out or am I missing something? That is reasonable but otherwise it doesn’t make sense unless one shoe is waterproof and the other isn’t.

What’s most important is you found or find a shoe that works and hopefully I persuaded a few others to ditch the heavy leather boots in the process
Old 03-06-2024, 12:31 AM

Little ankle gaiters help the most for keeping out water and pebbles from getting down the cuff of the shoe.
Old 03-06-2024, 09:22 AM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieburger View Post
Salomon XA Pro 3D for the narrow foot club.
I've had multiple pairs of these bought on REI close outs and they work great for all around but for hiking (Half Dome) these did not work for me. Not enough forefoot cushion.

Oboz work great.

Now trying La Sportiva.
Old 03-06-2024, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
Little ankle gaiters help the most for keeping out water and pebbles from getting down the cuff of the shoe.
This is what I do. I use dirty girl gaiters with my altra. Cheap, weigh almost nothing, and disappear (aside from the colors!) when wearing.