Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2024, 10:40 PM
n - 1

I’m doing the same, for Mother’s Day. I’m going to pick up a Como 5.0 in yellow.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/tu...ext=90122-3104
Old 04-24-2024, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
I’m doing the same, for Mother’s Day. I’m going to pick up a Como 5.0 in yellow.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/tu...ext=90122-3104
I quite like that Specialized, but I feel like those handlebar / stem combos are a combination that will soon be obsolete and impossible to replace, though I guess ya don’t replace those types of things?
Old 04-24-2024, 10:51 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
I quite like that Specialized, but I feel like those handlebar / stem combos are a combination that will soon be obsolete and impossible to replace, though I guess ya don’t replace those types of things?
Yes, the one drawback is the handlebar/stem set up. But I figure it looks similar to my wife’s other bike and she quite likes that set up. Should work out.
I like that it has a basket (frame mounted), fenders and F/R lights.
Old 04-25-2024, 01:21 AM

The Mahle system is good. There are two versions, the X35 and the X20, the X20 being the newer system, with control improvements, but both are good. Lemond uses the X35 currently on their Prolog, and the weight is down to 27 lbs or so. Got one for my daughter, who commutes on it and likes it very much. Orbea uses the X20 on the Gain, similar weight depending on model. The Panasonic battery for the mahle is reputable. Range is modest on the X35, and quite decent on the X20, but both offer water bottle cage batteries as range extenders if needed. As with any bike, plan on preferred seat and pedals from the get go.
Old 04-25-2024, 05:34 AM

I have a Charge XC with around 80 miles on it. Mid drive with fenders, lights and front suspension. It's good for cruising on paved and unpaved roads and has carrying capacity as well as commuter capabilities. I thought I'd use it more often, but that hasn't been the case!
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...pbFPd2HZEHybGd
I'd sell mine for $1,500 shipped!
Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Last edited by Hilltopperny; 04-25-2024 at 05:53 AM.
Old 04-25-2024, 05:47 AM

I know this is above your budget.. but when they showed this, I was thinking this would be amazing for me! Triton from Russia, but they moved to Portugal and rebranded. They are in Aveiro Portugal now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240425_114706_Instagram.jpg (58.8 KB, 132 views)

Last edited by hokoman; 04-25-2024 at 05:49 AM.
Old 04-25-2024, 04:16 PM

Ok, I'm joining in. I have no advice to offer, but I'm looking for an ebike for my wife, too. That Turbo Vado 4.0 is kinda what I'm looking for: not a tank, good build, not dorky.

If I could buy the bike she rode on our Backroads trip last Sept, I'd buy it. Ti frame, Bosch mid-drive, just a decent hybrid with no huge tires and other things that make it a tank.

Good luck, OP, and thx for the input, gang.
Old 04-25-2024, 04:46 PM

Thanks all. Here is one I found that I think looks cool enough - a Marin Fairfax E.

Has anyone seen these? What I find odd is that they have a Bafang motor on them - I thought that stuff was all aftermarket add-ons to analog bikes?

Anyways, it looks simple and kinda normal - I like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FAIRFAX-E-ST-MARIN24-P-copy.jpg (75.3 KB, 118 views)
Old 04-25-2024, 07:17 PM

Looks nice. A kick stand is very useful on an E bike.
Old 04-25-2024, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkshogun View Post
https://bikefriday.com/electric-assi...em-overview-2/

My buddy had one and it was fast, light, had lightweight batteries, 20" narrowish tires, foldable
In what world is this anywhere near normal... because that world must be full of Pontiac Azteks and Nissan Qubes.
Old 04-27-2024, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks all. Here is one I found that I think looks cool enough - a Marin Fairfax E.

Has anyone seen these? What I find odd is that they have a Bafang motor on them - I thought that stuff was all aftermarket add-ons to analog bikes?

Anyways, it looks simple and kinda normal - I like it.
Has anyone used one of these or sells them? I saw them today in person and they look nice. I would put her battered old Brooks saddle and a more swept back bar and we would be rollin! Are they good bikes?

It has a Bafang hub drive motor and I understand these are quite good? He let me take out a men’s XL to try the motor and it didn’t seem very natural, but that is thr first ebike I have ridden in my size, so it was an adjustment. The thrill is there for sure - pedal and the bike takes off on you . No I am not buying one for myself, but it was fun to see the effect it has on the rider and I think my wife would like it.
Old 04-27-2024, 08:39 PM

These are pretty darn nice BMC 257 AMP

Not inexpensive but a blast to ride.

Old 04-27-2024, 11:16 PM

Trek Verve+3 Lowstep
My wife loves it over the last 3 years.
Impressed with range (60 to 80 mi) & hydraulic disc brakes.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Has anyone used one of these or sells them? I saw them today in person and they look nice. I would put her battered old Brooks saddle and a more swept back bar and we would be rollin! Are they good bikes?

It has a Bafang hub drive motor and I understand these are quite good? He let me take out a men’s XL to try the motor and it didn’t seem very natural, but that is thr first ebike I have ridden in my size, so it was an adjustment. The thrill is there for sure - pedal and the bike takes off on you . No I am not buying one for myself, but it was fun to see the effect it has on the rider and I think my wife would like it.
Looks nice and I think you’ll also want to demo a mid drive of any big brand to compare the ride difference and “pick up” when you get on the pedals. But I don’t really think you can go wrong for the use here - they are a lot of fun.
Old 04-29-2024, 01:05 AM

Update: I bought the Marin and it’s in storage until Mothers Day/Birthday (the next day). I got our daughter to demo it for size and i opened up a can of worms - she had the biggest smile on her face and said “holy crap dad, that was fun!!”. I’ve told kids that I will never buy them an ebike as they are healthy young humans that can power themselves, so let’s see if that lasts