Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2017, 12:16 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

How sensitive are Shimano caliper brakes to the type brake levers used?

I'm thinking of putting some new brakes on my daily driver. (I currently have some somewhat boutique calipers that never worked that well, and lately haven't been working well at all, despite pad and wheel changes.)

I have some super-ancient Shimano brake levers on there (and DT shifters), but in general the levers work fine and feel good in my hands, so I don't want to change them if I don't have to.

I may already have some spare calipers in the basement that aren't that up-to-date themselves (but certainly not as old as the brake levers, maybe 5 years old when I last went on a component spending spree) but if I don't I'll probably just get whatever 105 models are currently available - I think they're up to 5800.

Bottom line: will 25+ year old Shimano road brake levers work with just about any era Shimano double-pivot calipers, or do I need to worry about pull ratios and stuff like that?

TIA
Old 07-29-2017, 12:32 AM
You still here?

I wouldn't worry. I've mixed and matched that stuff for years, there's been differences, nothing dangerous but they just take getting used to. A side note; I've found that the Kool Stop salmon pads make any brake caliper feel wonderful.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:07 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson View Post
A side note; I've found that the Kool Stop salmon pads make any brake caliper feel wonderful.
Thanks Dave. Maybe I should try those pads before completely giving up on these calipers - that's one option I haven't yet tried, and it's easier to change the pads than the whole thing.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:31 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

I have a set of wheels that just don't brake very well and several sets that do using the stock Shimano D/A 9k pads.

Experiment with brake pads 1st. They're cheap comparatively

M