Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2017, 03:03 PM

So what do you think of the fly camera system? I'm thinking about getting one but dang they are not cheap. $400 bucks for a front and back. I'm just wondering if they are worth it. It would be worthless to me if they cannot pickup lisence plates very accurately.

Also do they work when the lights are blinking?
Old 07-28-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
So what do you think of the fly camera system? I'm thinking about getting one but dang they are not cheap. $400 bucks for a front and back. I'm just wondering if they are worth it. It would be worthless to me if they cannot pickup lisence plates very accurately.

Also do they work when the lights are blinking?
I like my Fly6 and haven’t ridden without one for three seasons. The Fly12 is just too big IMHO. I wish Cycliq would build a front camera without a headlight, perhaps like the Fly6 with a clear/white lens. The Fly6 is always blinking in some fashion.

Last edited by djg21; 07-28-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
You think you're so smart and they're so stupid - and meanwhile they're thinking the exact same of you.
And that sums up every conversation ever.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:59 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
Yeah, you have to get over the self sense of grandeur, nobody cares what you have to say. Nobody. And yes, if you were in my driveway confronting my wife, I would remove you, chips fall where they may. You don't see yourself at all in this situation. Pick someone you love and let them tell you somebody followed them home and confronted them about anything. How you don't see the fallacy and the danger of this behavior is mind boggling.

And you're missing my whole post. One, it's your responsibility to watch out and ride defensively, Two, people have issues, get over it and Three, most importantly don't chase and certainly don't catch. Five feet, on the street, it don't matter son, you were wrong to chase and catch period. Stop doing that. You're an aggressor and one thing you will learn in this life is that aggressors find other aggressors and it will end badly at some point. Trust.
The only problem with your 'remove you' statement is he wasn't being threatening, which would get you buried under the jail. Ratcheting up the whole thing to violence is what got the OP there in the 1st place (or don't you see 'assault with a car' as violence?!)
Quote:
Assault. ... An assault is carried out by a threat of bodily harm coupled with an apparent, present ability to cause the harm. It is both a crime and a tort and, therefore, may result in either criminal or civil liability. Generally, the common law definition is the same in criminal and Tort Law.
If more vehicle drivers were charged when they endangered cyclists (and motorcyclists) I'd bet they'd think twice about it.

M
Old 07-28-2017, 05:08 PM

I have been informed by motorists on multiple occasions that autos ALWAYS have the ROW over cyclists.

stupid DMV handbook needs to be updated...
Old 07-28-2017, 06:55 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

Right of way seems to be an entitlement thing... I was riding the other morning, I came to a red light and I stopped. I was in the bike lane and stopped at a red light, when another cyclist told me to get out of the way. Apparently cyclists who run red lights have the right of way over those who don't. It's not that people actually have the right of way, it's that they feel they have it, or they should have it.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:00 PM
なんでやねん

Just like war, it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
I like my Fly6 and haven’t ridden without one for three seasons. The Fly12 is just to big IMHO. I wish Cycliq would build a front camera without a headlight, perhaps like the Fly6 with a clear/white lens. The Fly6 is always blinking in some fashion.
I was thinking the same thing and Have seen many other reviews that suggest they do away with the light on the front camera. Not only would it make it more affordable but I would hardly ever use it since I rarely ride at night.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:10 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I was thinking the same thing and Have seen many other reviews that suggest they do away with the light on the front camera. Not only would it make it more affordable but I would hardly ever use it since I rarely ride at night.
then why not just get a go pro or something of that sort. It is a much better camera and its tiny.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookmyers View Post
I had a confrontation with a car driver today on my way home. I ride with a Fly6 so I have the audio from our chat. I did not point the camera at the other person. Just thought I would share.

Me: 6'4 male riding a road bike with a white helmet, neon green backpack, fly6 tail light in flash mode, a second 100 lumen tail light also in flash mode, and a bright head light on my bars in daytime flash mode.
Time: approximately 5pm, plenty of light, clear day

I was riding north on Morena Blvd which has 2 lanes in both directions. My route has me turn on Avati Dr. Approaching Avati the road opens to allow a turn lane. Morena Blvd is downhill in this section. I ride on the right and when the turn lane becomes available I take it by riding to the left of the imaginary center line.
I ride approximately 30mph (or as fast as I can) down the hill then apply my brakes to make the turn on a green turn light. Posted speed limit is 40 I think.
Today, in the same situation, a car (MINI cooper roadster...not sure the exact model) passed me when I was in the turn lane braking to make the turn. They applied their blinker and brakes and made the turn right in front of me. Had I not been turning, I would have slammed into the side of the car, or perhaps worse, glanced off the rear side of the car and into traffic where I might be hit by a 50mph car.
This upset me. I yelled at the car as it drove away from me. At this point we are in a neighborhood going up a hill. I am angry and want to make the driver aware of what happened. I ended up being successful in following them to their home. I pulled into the driveway, and stopped, staying 15-20 feet away from what turns out to be an older lady.
Here is the dialog. I did my best to pick up what was being said but there is one part I can't hear what she is saying.
My tone is angry and sarcastic.
Me: hi there. I don't think it's very safe to put your blinker on and turn from the other lane.
Her: well, I'm going around you because you were slowing down. Otherwise I would hit you...you were slowing down.
Me: (I interrupted before she completed the sentence.). (Flabbergasted). You couldn't have gone behind me???
Her: no, I couldn't slow down that fast. (I can't make out her next sentence). You need to watch the cars behind you.
Me. (Sarcasm) OH...you can't use your brakes.
Her: you need to watch the cars in back of you...you don't have the right of way.
Me: (mentally lost it at her last statement). Wait, excuse me? I made a right hand turn. You turned from the lane next to me in front of me.
Her: again, I had to go all the way around you. There was [sic] cars in back of me you know? You need to slow down and watch the cars in back of you. Because we have the right of way...except for pedestrians.

End of transcript. The conversation didn't end there but this was the "best" section. Since this is being publicly posted for all to read, the conversation remained as civil as is presented, no foul language, name calling, or threatening was used by either party, and she proceeded to enter her home and I went on my way.

It will be interesting to see where this thread goes.
Are you on SD Bike Commuter? It's a good place to discuss routing and issues like this. http://sdbikecommuter.com/forums/index.php
Old 07-29-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Better watch it, PUNK...
This is a little closer to the OP's location...

Old 07-29-2017, 12:34 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Vitus View Post
This is a little closer to the OP's location...

I've driven down that road a bunch!

M
Old 07-30-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
I've driven down that road a bunch!

M
Yep! Convoy and Othello, the Weinerschnitzel is still there (along with the 2 palm trees and the liquor store)!
Old 07-30-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Designs View Post
Right of way seems to be an entitlement thing... I was riding the other morning, I came to a red light and I stopped. I was in the bike lane and stopped at a red light, when another cyclist told me to get out of the way. Apparently cyclists who run red lights have the right of way over those who don't. It's not that people actually have the right of way, it's that they feel they have it, or they should have it.
This^ My friend was on his morning commute inbound to downtown Portland, another cyclist came up and rode beside him in the oncoming lane. A oncoming car approached and the other cyclist didn't move over. The car had to pull over to let them pass. My friend pointed out that he should have moved over. The cleaned up reply was "No way, I have a right to 'take the lane'". Ummm , not when you're in the wrong lane. Later, the guy almost ran down some pedestrians in a crosswalk. The reply to "You're supposed to stop for pedestrians too" was similarly unprintable.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:00 PM

People eff up, bikes are weird for some, don't get so indignant. Things happen, and stuff like this goes on every day.

Right of way and egos aside, there is no way the OP would have followed that car to the lady's house if she was a dude and also 6-4. Pure and simple, its intimidation feigned with righteous indignation. If that would have been my long suffering bride (who happens to be 5-2, 120 pounds and a terrible operator of motor vehicles) and I got wind of it? It would be a rainy night in Lyndhurst. She made a mistake, what's a "Portlandia" episode going to do to fix it? In my neck of the woods, thing would get ugly fast and I would advise never doing what the OP did

Consider riding a mountain bike and ditching the camera, it brings out the worst in folks