Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2017, 06:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekindy View Post
To obtain an Indiana motorcycle endorsement, a 2-day class is required that includes written and riding skills tests. The entire focus is defensive riding strategies. They don't sit around reviewing scenarios like the OP's and what should be done about the car driver. The total focus is on anticipating incidents and how to minimize your chances of getting hit.

At the minimum, the OP should be assuming that no driver sees him and will turn in front of him or hook him, knowing the most strategic way to position himself in lanes to put the most distance between himself and other vehicles and knowing his escape routes which means having a rear view mirror , guarding his brakes, and using hand signals to indicate turning, avoid the incident and ride on.

I drive the speed limit in my car and impatient car drivers do this to me. To expect car drivers to not do this to bicycles is unrealistic and will get you killed.

Now tear into me and tell me that bicycle riders should not have to do this.
i agree with this strategy 100%.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:15 AM
Adam/SerottaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahumblecycler View Post
If you opt to do this again (hopefully you will not be presented with that choice but drivers are ), I would advise you to not follow the person onto their personal property. I get why you did what you did:bike, but when you went onto her property without her permission, you put yourself in a bad position particularly since you mentioned your tone was angry and sarcastic.

I emphasize with you - most of us likely do - but you need to be careful as the "cyclist" what your actions are portraying to that driver (and then the driver's social and physical friends - people blab). I have "lectured" many drivers but only in public areas (typically the next stop light or stop sign). I do not follow a driver to a home though.

I'm not saying that count yourself lucky that the driver acted poorly and/or that you did not get hurt but do be aware how your response can be perceived with the potential of escalating the situation. Again I emphasize but we all need to be careful.
Yup.

To the OP:
I am sorry you got cut off. We have all been there.

I have seen these confrontations escalate. I just smile and wave and say "have a nice day".

I would NEVER follow a person home and enter their property for the purposes of confronting/"educating" them. Nor should anyone. The only good that could ever come out of it would be a "you are so right, I am so sorry, you really convinced me. I will never do that again". How likely is that?

If someone followed me home and pulled onto my property to educate me/elicit an apology, I would be unsettled.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:20 AM
aka RAEKWON

I agree. Wait, you followed an older lady home? Think about that for a second.... look, you are right, she shouod have not done that but now she thinks you are wrong still, you wasted your time and followed an old lady into her home.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93legendti View Post

If someone followed me home and pulled onto my property to educate me/elicit an apology, I would be unsettled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookmyers View Post
Me: 6'4 male

more specifically, if i found out that some big dude followed my wife or mother home for the purpose of a confrontation, i wouldn't feel too good about that.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:50 AM
cmg

"At the minimum, the OP should be assuming that no driver sees him and will turn in front of him or hook him, knowing the most strategic way to position himself in lanes to put the most distance between himself and other vehicles and knowing his escape routes which means having a rear view mirror , guarding his brakes, and using hand signals to indicate turning, avoid the incident and ride on."

and do this with every car they come across. being aware of the surroundings is the most important thing.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
more specifically, if i found out that some big dude followed my wife or mother home for the purpose of a confrontation, i wouldn't feel too good about that.
If you don't want someone following you home, don't almost kill them with a car.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:37 AM

Since I am over 70 I had to retake the written tests for autos and motorcycles when I renewed my license(s) a couple of years ago. There was NO question that mentioned bicycles in any way so I'd guess there was no info in the booklet issued by our DMV about bicycles responsibilities and privileges so the ignorance of this driver and others is, unfortunately, understandable.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post
If you don't want someone following you home, don't almost kill them with a car.
Simple as that, eh? Ok.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:10 AM

Keep a hand on your brakes, check around when in traffic, keep your lights charged and ON, assume that nobody sees or cares to see you on your bike, live to ride tomorrow.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Better watch it, PUNK...

…he with the most lugnuts wins.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:28 AM

From your description, I can't visualize the situation completely. You said you took the lane (I would of done the same), but yet she passed you. How? Did she some around on your left and right-hook you? If so, she's completely in the wrong.

I agree with others that confronting drivers at their homes never ends well. I don't do it.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:57 AM

In posting this, I knew I would get some grief for my actions. I hoped some of you would get a laugh out of the absurdity of what she was saying.

I am still blown away. If I had a rear view mirror, my actions would not have been any different. I still don't know what she wanted from me (other than to not exist of course).

Thanks for the constructive feedback.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
From your description, I can't visualize the situation completely. You said you took the lane (I would of done the same), but yet she passed you. How? Did she some around on your left and right-hook you?
There are two lanes in our direction and a third for making a right turn at the intersection. I was in the turn lane and she passed me in the next lane over.

Bummer...I tried to be so descriptive!
Old 07-28-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookmyers View Post
There are two lanes in our direction and a third for making a right turn at the intersection. I was in the turn lane and she passed me in the next lane over.

Bummer...I tried to be so descriptive!
yuuup, it was in there.

The only suggestion (other than staying off personal property) I can offer..........you need to develop some awesome one liners that have a good chance of leaving an impression.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:34 AM
Older Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekindy View Post
To obtain an Indiana motorcycle endorsement, a 2-day class is required that includes written and riding skills tests. The entire focus is defensive riding strategies. They don't sit around reviewing scenarios like the OP's and what should be done about the car driver. The total focus is on anticipating incidents and how to minimize your chances of getting hit.

At the minimum, the OP should be assuming that no driver sees him and will turn in front of him or hook him, knowing the most strategic way to position himself in lanes to put the most distance between himself and other vehicles and knowing his escape routes which means having a rear view mirror , guarding his brakes, and using hand signals to indicate turning, avoid the incident and ride on.
+1000
It's hard to get eye contact with a driver if the window tint is so dark you can't tell for sure if anyone is driving. I assume they don't see me.

Under no condition do I follow anyone home and escalate the situation.
If it's serious enough, call the police and let them handle it.