Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Nope - I don't buy that they are in any way excusing what the driver did.
At the very least, the driver was negligent. The video makes that much clear.

Whether the driver should be criminally culpable is another issue. As that question largely revolves around the driver’s state of mind, i.e., were his actions intentional or undertaken with reckless disregard for human life. We just don’t have sufficient facts to make that call based on the 21 second video and on an unreliable statement from another driver who purportedly saw either the same vehicle, or perhaps a similar vehicle, target cyclists previously.

And no, the fact that someone rides a bike doesn’t given them a pass for riding foolishly. This incident could have been avoided. There are asshole drivers who do have it in for cyclists. Why give them an opportunity?
Old 07-10-2017, 01:46 PM

I ride really defensively, but also adhere to the Effective Cycling principles pretty religiously and am assertive and all that, but you can't fault the cyclist here at all.

You're not supposed to hit people with your car, no matter what. It wouldn't matter if he and his buddy were butt naked in the middle of the road high on drugs playing cards, you don't hit them.

I think we all cling to this "cyclist wasn't being defensive enough" fallacy because we are afraid of getting hit and it's a mental coping tool. "I ride defensively, I'm a skilled rider, I'm not like that guy in the video, so I won't get hit."

It's a fallacy.. if the driver is going to hit you they're going to hit you IMO, and unfortunately I've been hit when doing "everything right" so it's personal in my case. We're all just waiting for our number to come up. All the things we do might help our odds a little bit but they don't matter much if a driver is super malicious or negligent.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
This world needs a serious attitude change and its not going to start when ppl keep saying that the victims could have behaved better. Even if true its the wrong debate and will not lead to anything good imo.

Bit like "well she was wearing a short skirt and i just couldent help myself".
Exactly!

Thank you.

I can't believe people blaming the victim like that. THis is exactly why, mark my word, this guy who just committed attempted murder will get off with a slap on the wrist. It is ALWAYS the cyclist fault if for any other reason the judge, jury, prosecutors, and everyone else in that courtroom hates us.

Last edited by redir; 07-10-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:10 PM

Totes agree w/ benb

And I'm choosing not to watch/listen to the video because my coping tool is threadbare at this point. I've been taken down three times in my 29 years on road bikes... I couldn't begin to guess as to how many collisions I've avoided due to negligent acts I have anticipated.

There is one basic responsibility for driving. Do everything possible not to hit stuff.

If there is a farm tractor, a horse drawn cart, an animal, a boulder, or **even a lowly person on a bike** you do what it takes to pass safely. Period.

Last edited by bshell; 07-10-2017 at 04:43 PM. Reason: rode v. road
Old 07-10-2017, 02:47 PM

It is clear that with normal driving skills the car would not have hit the cyclist and that the cyclist appeared to be riding predictably and on the proper side of the road. One thing that is seldom brought up is how difficult it is to judge speed and distance when there is such a disparity between vehicle size and speed and that drivers rarely encounter cyclists and do not get much practice.

I don't know why pointing out that the cyclist was crowding the center line when he was supposed to be riding single file would be viewed as a problem. I ride exclusively on the road and also drive a car and I am sick and tired of cyclists not following the rules and assuming car drivers are fault whenever an accident occurs. It is always car strikes cyclist, or car kills cyclist, never cyclist doing anything wrong. Just the other day I did something incredibly stupid and luckily was not struck by a car. Just a few minutes prior to me doing something stupid, I had to ride defensively to avoid being struck in a roundabout.

I also don't know how anyone viewing this video could possibly determine intent or cause of the accident, or who the heck's horn was blowing. Someone mentioned that another motorist witness the car previously targeting cyclists?

Last edited by dekindy; 07-10-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekindy View Post
It is clear that with normal driving skills the car would not have hit the cyclist and that the cyclist appeared to be riding predictably and on the proper side of the road. One thing that is seldom brought up is how difficult it is to judge speed and distance when there is such a disparity between vehicle size and speed and that drivers rarely encounter cyclists and do not get much practice.

I don't know why pointing out that the cyclist was crowding the center line when he was supposed to be riding single file would be viewed as a problem. I ride exclusively on the road and also drive a car and I am sick and tired of cyclists not following the rules and assuming car drivers are fault whenever an accident occurs. It is always car strikes cyclist, or car kills cyclist, never cyclist doing anything wrong. Just the other day I did something incredibly stupid and luckily was not struck by a car. Just a few minutes prior to me doing something stupid, I had to ride defensively to avoid being struck in a roundabout.

I also don't know how anyone viewing this video could possibly determine intent or cause of the accident, or who the heck's horn was blowing. Someone mentioned that another motorist witness the car previously targeting cyclists?
Well, we can certainly determine intent once the "accident" occurred. The driver's intent was to get the hell out of there, the life of the human he just hit was of no concern in comparison with concern for his own.

I'd love to know what world you live in that is full of news reports blaming drivers, or drivers being punished for hitting a cyclist. Hell, even when a cyclist is mowed down by a drunk, the news always has to insert a "the cyclist was not wearing a helmet at the time", as if that means the drunk was entitled to run him down.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:01 PM

^ This! People he drove off. You believe he didn't know he hit something? If so, then his license needs revoked if that's going to be his 'defense'!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2017, 03:07 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post
Well, we can certainly determine intent once the "accident" occurred. The driver's intent was to get the hell out of there, the life of the human he just hit was of no concern in comparison with concern for his own.
Quote:
According to the arrest affidavit, Marshall Grant Neely III, 58, told the National Park Service rangers that a man and woman were standing in the road on July 8 at 11 a.m. He reported that the two threw the bicycle into his black Volvo.
http://www.wbir.com/news/local/hit-a...ideo/455314691

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the driver thought he could get away with this. This also hints at premeditation.

It also notes in this article that the cyclist was a novice. So we have a novice cyclist on a roadway with signage that states he can use the full lane, and he gets run over.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:09 PM

Hit and run on the Natchez Trace

http://www.newschannel5.com/news/nat...list-being-hit

Claims he didn't know he hit him & now, of course, he is the victim of death threats.

Its a wonderful world!

Old 07-10-2017, 03:12 PM

Right on the home page, imagine, cyclists!

https://www.nps.gov/natr/index.htm

Old 07-10-2017, 03:18 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgrooms View Post
http://www.newschannel5.com/news/nat...list-being-hit

Claims he didn't know he hit him & now, of course, he is the victim of death threats.

Its a wonderful world!

The lies are piling up.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:29 PM

Really??!!!!

You hit a grown adult on a bike and you didn't know it?!!!! I know when a rock gets flung into my car because I CAN HEAR IT and you didn't hear/feel a bike and human?!! ***! This POS is full of it.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
You hit a grown adult on a bike and you didn't know it?!!!! I know when a rock gets flung into my car because I CAN HEAR IT and you didn't hear/feel a bike and human?!! ***! This POS is full of it.
Yep - I just heard the interview with the driver linked above. POS is absolutely correct....
Old 07-10-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
It wouldn't matter if he and his buddy were butt naked in the middle of the road high on drugs playing cards . . .
Hey, I resemble that remark!
Old 07-10-2017, 04:06 PM
AZ Slowpoke

He didn't know he hit him, but, he did know that the two people standing on the side of the road threw a bike at him? Keep talking buddy, it's working well for ya.