Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpiecuch View Post
Geez, I'm finding it shocking that a bunch of cyclists are "kind of" siding with the driver on this one.

I don't care if the cyclist was a seasoned professional or a 1st time rider.
I don't care if the cyclist was not riding as defensively as possible.
I don't care if the cyclist was too far into the lane.
I don't even care if it was a person standing in the middle of the road...

The driver visually identified the rider in the road, aimed his car at the rider, and drove into him. Legally or not legally riding in a road is no reason to attempt to kill the rider with a car. The driver hit the rider, then drove off with no regard. Would be okay with your spouse or child doing this to another rider?

There is no (moral) grey area here, he purposely drove into the cyclist. End of story. The only person who felt "entitled" here is the driver of the car.
+1. The vehicle that passed a few seconds before obviously had no problem avoiding the cyclist. Was it illegal for the rider to be two abreast? Maybe. Was it discourteous for the rider to be in the middle of the lane? Perhaps. However, nothing excuses the driver's actions.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:26 AM

I do not believe that anyone here is siding with, or making excuses for, the driver in any way, shape, or form. To even think such a thing I find astounding. Without weighing or qualifying any of the factors involved, there were bad decisions made on both ends of the equation. To think otherwise is shortsighted, IMO....
Old 07-10-2017, 09:35 AM

Horn

It would be interesting to be able to analyze the sound of the horns of the truck and the Volvo. My guess is that it was the Volvo's horn we heard.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:41 AM
Administrator

not familiar with the Natchez Trace, but from what i can gather it's a "scenic highway".

IMO, the driver should be held more accountable for his actions on such a road because it should be the driver's responsibility to be more vigilant and patient on a scenic highway that is frequented by cyclists.

does anyone know what the speed limit is on this stretch of road?
Old 07-10-2017, 10:06 AM

I think I read it was 40mph for most of the Trace.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:08 AM

The max speed limit is 50. In some areas its 40.

Any driver familiar w the NTP expects to encounter cyclist. It is a NP & promoted extensively by the NPS for cycling use.

While I haven't seen all 400 plus miles, the sections I have seen had no shoulder, were narrow & presented challenging sight lines.

While I don't know where this happened, my experience with locals where I was indicated they avoid it & use faster alternatives that are typically available.

So my take is you have an entitled driver expecting to use the Trace as a normal transportation route, which it most assuredly is not.

Combined with a novice rider who thought this would be a great place to go ride.

Fortunately he wasn't crushed under the car and killed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Do not allow blatant disregard of someones safety to be accepted in your desire to be "fair". Do you blame the road worker hit by a car while doing his job because he was "in the road"?
It was OK to sexually harass her, because she was wearing a really short skirt.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:48 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
I do not believe that anyone here is siding with, or making excuses for, the driver in any way, shape, or form. To even think such a thing I find astounding. Without weighing or qualifying any of the factors involved, there were bad decisions made on both ends of the equation. To think otherwise is shortsighted, IMO....
Sure they are: 'the cyclist shouldn't have been in the lane' etc Effectifvely, siding with the idiot that ran over a bicyclist because 'they were in the way,;

M
Old 07-10-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
Sure they are: 'the cyclist shouldn't have been in the lane' etc Effectifvely, siding with the idiot that ran over a bicyclist because 'they were in the way,;

M
Nope - I don't buy that they are in any way excusing what the driver did.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:03 AM

No one has sided with the driver. They have simply pointed out that the cyclists should have ridden defensively and not take the whole lane. That is their opinion and does not condone the actions of the driver in any way.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
No one has sided with the driver. They have simply pointed out that the cyclists should have ridden defensively and not take the whole lane. That is their opinion and does not condone the actions of the driver in any way.
I didn't even go that far. I made no judgement on either party. I said that the video has enough evidence in it to make a case for BOTH parties, and historically, if the cyclist can be in any way proven to be partially at fault, the driver usually gets minimal punishment. I sincerely hope that I am wrong in this case.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:47 AM

The driver slammed into the guy because he didn't move after the white truck honked. The cyclist was practically straddling the yellow line which would be like riding 4 abreast. I went to college in Tennessee and rode the Natchez Trace. You can't fault the cyclist much on such a low-travelled road or condone the driver's dreadful behavior but this is classic TN road rage. I'll bet you a Coca-Cola on the driver's political party.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:52 AM

The video was shown on CBS Morning News in the 90 second teaser at the beginning of the show.
I didn't see the coverage, choosing to get out for a ride before the temps soared.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
I love the fact that so many cyclists now are starting to ride with cameras (as do i). Sometime in the not so distant future drivers will not think they can get away with shi* like this as they apparently do now.
I just did my first ride with a Fly6 yesterday and I totally agree that this is the future. Whether this guy skates or not, he has his name in the paper, video on the web, and a bunch of cyclists talking about him, and that's a pretty strong disincentive, too.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:02 PM

edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
I'll bet you a Coca-Cola on the driver's political party.
Dean at a local college........I don't know. In my experience (purely based on stickers adhered to backs of automobiles), stupid aggressive drivers come from varied political interests.