Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-09-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
please don't pile on the folks who commented about the victim, you already know they are not defending the driver. Personally, I won't ride like that and if I am riding with someone that I care about who is riding like that, I would say something.

This world needs a serious attitude change and its not going to start when ppl keep saying that the victims could have behaved better. Even if true its the wrong debate and will not lead to anything good imo.

Bit like "well she was wearing a short skirt and i just couldent help myself".
Old 07-09-2017, 05:55 PM

The article states that this was the first time the cyclist who was hit had ridden a bike since he was a kid.... I doubt he was intentionally trying to piss anyone off.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
The article states that this was the first time the cyclist who was hit had ridden a bike since he was a kid.... I doubt he was intentionally trying to piss anyone off.
Or felt very "entitled". Perhaps rejuvenated tho. Maybe in car lingo thats the same
Old 07-09-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
I bet the driver was distracted texting or was drinking. It seems to me the only reason you leave the seen of an accident is you are drunk and hope for enough time to sober up.
I saw this on FB & it was mentioned that this is possibly not an isolated incident for this guy. Witnesses said they saw a similar SUV "try" to hit a cyclist on the Trace before.

Quote from the guy who posted the video: "Three hours ago this person intentionally hit my friend Tyler Noe on Natchez Trace. We had a witness behind us who said he has seen this same Volvo try to hit someone else last week. Tyler is at the hospital and doing ok. He is one TOUGH DUDE!
Old 07-09-2017, 06:25 PM

Last week was the 1st day my kid rode the road bike in the street with me before heading to the trail, he was scared as hell... 10 y/o... while riding 1st thing I told him...

- stay as close as you can from the edge of the road or the cars are going to run over me...

- ride with conviction, the driver see you like you know what are you doing they will drive with confidence around you, thats what I call "self shield".

- before getting to the 1st light asked him, what will happens if you ride in the middle of the lane??? _ I will get run over--- ok.. but why??? and here is when he couldnt give me a straight answer... the real answer to me and that like 99% of people like the dude that was run over in the video (sucks tho) is that many cyclist thinks they have the same rights (they technically do) than a car so they think they have the right to ride in the middle of the line. A car can't go to the edge of the road so they go in the middle... a driver is not expecting (specially the texting ones) to find a f.... cyclist riding in the middle of the road and thats why those geniuses have more chances to be run over by a car or a truck.... My kid said... OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH....!!!!

Based in this little story I do agree with many, those two idiots were riding at least 2 feet way to the left. The car driver idiot that sure will lose (maybe he is fired already) his job being a dean in a school for not being more sharp and just go around the guys completely (cyclists sure were not confident in the road riding f... straight!!!) and by failing to stop....driver deserves a punishment for sure!!!

But the idiots riding the bike sure did something wrong and from the video they were taking 3/4 of that line when they can take a half or less.

Always in this accidents you have to see both sides. Look at the video, you can see the front wheel of the other rider going in and out of the frame. he was going like 1 or 2 feet of the median yellow line and the guy with the camera was at least 1 or 2 feet away from the edge.

I do not consider myself the sharper guy ever because im not but between you and me, the world is full of geniuses of bike riders like those two in the video and im grateful of their existence because they make me look like Einstein in steroids when I see stuff like that.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Last week was the 1st day my kid rode the road bike in the street with me before heading to the trail, he was scared as hell... 10 y/o... while riding 1st thing I told him...

- stay as close as you can from the edge of the road or the cars are going to run over me...

- ride with conviction, the driver see you like you know what are you doing they will drive with confidence around you, thats what I call "self shield".

- before getting to the 1st light asked him, what will happens if you ride in the middle of the lane??? _ I will get run over--- ok.. but why??? and here is when he couldnt give me a straight answer... the real answer to me and that like 99% of people like the dude that was run over in the video (sucks tho) is that many cyclist thinks they have the same rights (they technically do) than a car so they think they have the right to ride in the middle of the line. A car can't go to the edge of the road so they go in the middle... a driver is not expecting (specially the texting ones) to find a f.... cyclist riding in the middle of the road and thats why those geniuses have more chances to be run over by a car or a truck.... My kid said... OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH....!!!!

Based in this little story I do agree with many, those two idiots were riding at least 2 feet way to the left. The car driver idiot that sure will lose (maybe he is fired already) his job being a dean in a school for not being more sharp and just go around the guys completely (cyclists sure were not confident in the road riding f... straight!!!) and by failing to stop....driver deserves a punishment for sure!!!

But the idiots riding the bike sure did something wrong and from the video they were taking 3/4 of that line when they can take a half or less.

Always in this accidents you have to see both sides. Look at the video, you can see the front wheel of the other rider going in and out of the frame. he was going like 1 or 2 feet of the median yellow line and the guy with the camera was at least 1 or 2 feet away from the edge.

I do not consider myself the sharper guy ever because im not but between you and me, the world is full of geniuses of bike riders like those two in the video and im grateful of their existence because they make me look like Einstein in steroids when I see stuff like that.
Oh, man. Where to start?
Cyclist inferiority complex?
(Ride like you are) Invisibility shield?

All of those are wrong.

Riding on the every edge of the road will get you run off the road far more often than asserting a position in the lane that you can defend as being safe and VISIBLE. People will always fill up all of the space they can drive into. When they think they can pass you while they are meeting a car head on, they WILL most likely do it. So riding on the very edge is a bad practice. Plus you are far less visible to overtaking traffic as well as traffic pulling out of side roads or passing head onto you.

Most people don't want to hit you. If they do really want to hit you, they will. No matter where you are on the road. Or even off. I know two people who were killed while standing on the side of the road. We put those kind of people in jail.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:43 PM

This will be one to watch, but my money says the perp will skate. Yes, he hit a bicycle, yes he ran. However, the bike was in traffic. The bike ignored the horn of the first vehicle. The bike was not riding single file in traffic as the law says to. All of this is on video and verifiable. Plea deal at best, fine and community service.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:46 PM

Having ridden the Trace and Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway, these were some of the most dangerous places I've ridden due to the lookie-loo drivers. They're out there gawking at the scenery, not the road in front of them.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
This will be one to watch, but my money says the perp will skate. Yes, he hit a bicycle, yes he ran. However, the bike was in traffic. The bike ignored the horn of the first vehicle. The bike was not riding single file in traffic as the law says to. All of this is on video and verifiable. Plea deal at best, fine and community service.
For a felony hit and run?
Old 07-09-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallizes View Post
For a felony hit and run?
A good defense attorney will tear that video apart.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
A good defense attorney will tear that video apart.
Somehow showing the driver not striking the cyclist, injuring the cyclist and not stopping?

You sure?

Everything up until the leaving is not necessarily criminal. When the driver keeps going everything changes.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallizes View Post
Somehow showing the driver not striking the cyclist, injuring the cyclist and not stopping?

You sure?

Everything up until the leaving is not necessarily criminal. When the driver keeps going everything changes.
Let's see how it turns out, ok? What's your prediction? I gave you mine.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
I bet the driver was distracted texting or was drinking. It seems to me the only reason you leave the seen of an accident is you are drunk and hope for enough time to sober up.
No; the trick is to get home and pound down some booze before the cops arrive. Then they can't charge DUI because you muddied the waters.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:58 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Let's see how it turns out, ok? What's your prediction? I gave you mine.
I am with you. The cyclist is "fine" so drive will walk with a slap on the wrists.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:24 PM

How much leverage the location of the accident has in the case??? At least the dude is not dead, he got lucky.