Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-09-2017, 03:32 PM

Hit and run on the Natchez Trace

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news...deo/462473001/

This should be interesting.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:41 PM

I'm way behind on updates to my spreadsheet, but my original impression was that relatively few bike/motor vehicle cranes resulting in death of the cyclist were hit-and-run. My feeling now is that it is actually quite high, between 25% & 50%.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:48 PM
ZhugeLiang

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2017-07-09 at 3.46.50 PM.jpg (36.9 KB, 614 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2017-07-09 at 3.47.00 PM.jpg (38.9 KB, 612 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2017-07-09 at 3.47.03 PM.jpg (37.9 KB, 610 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2017-07-09 at 3.47.16 PM.jpg (37.4 KB, 609 views)
Old 07-09-2017, 04:10 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

They'll most likely try the "I didn't realize that I'd hit him" defense.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:13 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

What happened to the rear wheel on the bike?
Old 07-09-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
What happened to the rear wheel on the bike?
The vehicle appears to have run over the rear wheel.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:29 PM

Oh yeah - this is on Federal property. That will be interesting....

That video was hard to watch for 2 reasons: 1) the driver fleeing was infuriating, and 2) (and don't kill the messenger) the cyclist appeared to be left, or well left of the center of the through lane which wouldn't have been my choice. That in no way excuses that douchbag from hitting him - seemingly willfully, if you ask me - but I would not ride in that position on that road and at that location from what I can see in the video unless I was intentionally taking the lane for some reason, or if I just spaced out and drifted over.

Hopefully the guy is OK. Hopefully that POS driver gets his ass handed to him and quick.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:32 PM

I'm sorry, but I don't care whether the law allows cyclists to take the entire lane on the Natchez Trace. From the video, I see the victim had no reason to occupy the entire lane. He was way too far to the left of his riding companion.

Do I think he was entirely at fault?-no. Partially at fault?-well no, at least not according to the law. But he was just begging to piss someone off.

Now I can't say pissing off the driver was what caused the accident-the driver could have been drunk for all I know, but it sure looks like the cyclist could have done considerably more to prevent this collision.

I will concede I can't understand how the driver could not pass the riders safely as he had an entire clear lane to do so.

I hope someone can keep us in the loop about this accident. I'd love to hear how Mr. Neely's case ends.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:39 PM
cnighbor2

found driver and was jailed big time cnarges

FRANKLIN, Tenn. (WKRN) – An administrator of a private school in Nashville has been placed on a leave of absence after his arrest in connection with the hit-and-run of a bicyclist Saturday on Natchez Trace Parkway in Williamson County.

According to the National Park Service, 58-year-old Marshall Grant Neely III was booked into the Williamson County Detention Center on Saturday night, where he is charged with reckless endangerment, leaving the scene of an accident, failure to immediately notify of an accident, and failure to render aid. He could face federal charges, too

Marshall Grant Neely III

Neely was the Dean of Students at University School of Nashville, according to the Williamson County Sheriff’s Department.

The incident was captured on video by Greg Goodman, who provided the video to News 2.

Goodman said he recorded the crash on his GoPro as he rode a bicycle alongside his friend Tyler Noe around 11 a.m. Saturday.

Roughly eight miles south of the bridge, there are a number of signs posted that say bikers may use the full lane. But that did not stop the accident from happening.

In the video you can see a white truck passing the bikers giving them plenty of room.

A few seconds later, a black SUV hit Noe, throwing him to the ground. The driver never stopped, even though the video clearly shows he hit the cyclist.

Noe was treated at a hospital. He is now recovering at home after suffering cuts and bruises.

(Photo: WKRN)

The National Park Service has safety guidelines for bicyclists on the Natchez Trace Parkway online. They are supposed to share the road with drivers, and follow the same rules of the road, riding single file on the right.

The Williamson County Sheriff’s Department says Neely is out of jail on bond. He is scheduled to appear in court on July 20.

University School of Nashville issued the following statement to News 2 on Sunday afternoon:

“
Marshall Neely served as dean of students at University School of Nashville before transitioning to a part-time role this summer. He also is parent of two alumni. As of today, USN has placed Mr. Neely on leave of absence while we investigate the circumstances. All other matters related to his employment are confidential. We appreciate the work of law enforcement on this matter and will cooperate fully with their investigation. Our thoughts are with the cyclist and his family as well as the Neely family during this difficult time.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:44 PM

Another jerk willing to risk somebody else's life cause they think they are doing something the wrong way. So sad, luckily he dident look to be that badly hurt.
I love the fact that so many cyclists now are starting to ride with cameras (as do i). Sometime in the not so distant future drivers will not think they can get away with shi* like this as they apparently do now.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:47 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't care whether the law allows cyclists to take the entire lane on the Natchez Trace. From the video, I see the victim had no reason to occupy the entire lane. He was way too far to the left of his riding companion.

Do I think he was entirely at fault?-no. Partially at fault?-well no, at least not according to the law. But he was just begging to piss someone off.

Now I can't say pissing off the driver was what caused the accident-the driver could have been drunk for all I know, but it sure looks like the cyclist could have done considerably more to prevent this collision.

I will concede I can't understand how the driver could not pass the riders safely as he had an entire clear lane to do so.

I hope someone can keep us in the loop about this accident. I'd love to hear how Mr. Neely's case ends.
What? The law says they can use the whole lane. Guy uses it and then its his fault? Sure he should not use it and take more space than needed so maybe he was being an ahole. The moment the driver flees the scene though, nothing before that evem matters anymore... there is no discussion, the deiver is at fault and is the huge ahole here
Old 07-09-2017, 05:26 PM

I bet the driver was distracted texting or was drinking. It seems to me the only reason you leave the seen of an accident is you are drunk and hope for enough time to sober up.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
What? The law says they can use the whole lane. Guy uses it and then its his fault? Sure he should not use it and take more space than needed so maybe he was being an ahole. The moment the driver flees the scene though, nothing before that evem matters anymore... there is no discussion, the deiver is at fault and is the huge ahole here
The fleeing is one thing. Guy's a POS - non-negotiable.

Beyond that, yes - you can take the lane if necessary, but like most places, it also says you need to be as far right as you can ride safely. Sure, this guy was entitled to ride where he got hit, but my comment would be 'you want to be right, or do you want to get home in one piece'?
Old 07-09-2017, 05:31 PM
ZhugeLiang

please don't pile on the folks who commented about the victim, you already know they are not defending the driver. Personally, I won't ride like that and if I am riding with someone that I care about who is riding like that, I would say something.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:43 PM

This is one of those "I'm entitled" things that makes other hate cyclists. It would piss me off, that's for sure, but I'd still wait to pass safely.

In a situation like that the cyclist can't just think about themselves because, as posted earlier, they're just dying to piss someone off (perhaps literally, the former bit). Sure, the cyclist is right, dead right. Might not be worth it to "be right".

I borrowed that phrase from an article I saw (in Bicycle Retailer? Maybe 25 years ago?) about someone that got killed about 20 minutes after sundown and riding with only reflectors... the law stated taillights necessary 30 minutes after sundown and so the cyclist was in the right to ride with just a reflector. However that didn't change the fact that the rider was now dead.

In addition the park's site says cyclists need to be single file when in traffic. It doesn't take much effort to look back and single up when necessary.

It's also just common courtesy, something severely lacking everywhere in this situation. I'm not making light of hitting someone on a bike, it's worse than not singling up, but common courtesy from both sides would have made this into a total non-event.

Today two people strolled out casually directly in front of my car. They assumed I'd slow down and not strike them so they did it. I did as they assumed and didn't run them over. However, if I was an unreasonable person, I might have struck them. Best situation would be not to stroll out in front of a car going 30 mph.