Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-01-2017, 07:55 PM
The bass playing cyclist

The annual New Year's Day pilgrimage up Mt. Diablo with a few hundred of my closest cycling buddies from around the Bay Area and around the world. That descent was COLD!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Diablo3.jpg (81.3 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg Diablo1.jpg (71.7 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg Diablo2.jpg (122.1 KB, 212 views)
Old 01-02-2017, 09:25 AM
i ride to eat.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:19 PM

Took a spin around the Rose Parade.
Here is the lead float in the after parade viewing area.

The Ragu float.

They are Farmers. Ba DA ba bu ba ba baaa!

I don't know the connection between Torrance and dragons but...

After listening to local news they talked about all the barriers and security measures that were in place to prevent a truck -> people attack. Clearly these wooden saw horses would have stopped ANY possible threat.

Or none at all?

Anyways. It was cool to see.

HNY everybody!
Old 01-02-2017, 05:48 PM

Dairy Roubaix 2016

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2858.jpg (69.5 KB, 180 views)
Old 01-02-2017, 05:52 PM

From today.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeck66 View Post
Mick,

Excellent write up in your blog. I had no idea about this event. Looked like a lot of fun.

Thank you! It was an adventure. I'd like to ride those roads under slightly better conditions. The "Hell of the Southwest" is organized by the same folks and is scheduled for April. I may make a return trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My blog and Instagram
Old 01-02-2017, 06:57 PM

Things have been cold in pdx this winter! Photo ops allow time to warm up the hands and feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2017, 07:03 PM

Here is another cold shot of PDX. Got out for my first ride of 2017 today.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_moses View Post
I did the Iceman's challenge gravel ride from China Spring, Texas, on December 3. Here are some photos. Unfortunately, my phone died halfway into it so I couldn't get as many photos as I would have liked. There's more details about the ride on my blog.
Very nice pic's and write-up in your blog! I live 12-15 minutes from where the Iceman race/ride started (I'm on the NW edge of Waco). One of our club rides passes within a mile or so of that ranch. It's pretty nice riding from the Waco area out to Clifton & Meridian. There's also another small town, Valley Mills, which is in between Clifton & Waco, but not sure if you went through it. That area is hillier than a lot of people would expect.
Most of my riding around here is on paved roads, but we do venture onto gravel here & there. Never like going across those low water crossings. During the summer when the levels go down moss can accumulate on those crossings, and I've seen my share of riders go down hard.
I know a handful of guys that rode this year and also last year's event. I'm not a real fan of the name either. First time I heard it mentioned I thought the guys were going to Michigan to ride the Iceman Cometh Challenge (Kalkaska to Traverse City). I guess if it's cold/windy/wet enough, the event could have an "Iceman" feel to it.....
You mentioned one of your fellow riders was/is from Indiana; if I may be so bold as to ask, what part of Indiana? We moved here from there 10 1/2 years ago. From NE Indiana, a little south of Fort Wayne.

Last edited by Red Tornado; 01-02-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:05 PM

Jealous of everyone riding. Unfortunately/fortunately we have a ton of snow in central OR and I haven't been on the roads since December 3rd! I have been doing a ton of this lately.

127 miles of skiing last week!!

Last edited by Andy sti; 01-02-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:05 PM

Blue Monday

Chemtrails (hahahahaha) aka My Buddy w/ Clearance Laughs When They're Brought Up

These hills used to be City of God aka $1000/sq ft

False Security aka Glendale, California

American Made aka Blue Steel aka Low and Slow is Better than High and Hard (20% hill killed my hubz)

Old 01-03-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post
Very nice pic's and write-up in your blog! I live 12-15 minutes from where the Iceman race/ride started (I'm on the NW edge of Waco). One of our club rides passes within a mile or so of that ranch. It's pretty nice riding from the Waco area out to Clifton & Meridian. There's also another small town, Valley Mills, which is in between Clifton & Waco, but not sure if you went through it. That area is hillier than a lot of people would expect.
Most of my riding around here is on paved roads, but we do venture onto gravel here & there. Never like going across those low water crossings. During the summer when the levels go down moss can accumulate on those crossings, and I've seen my share of riders go down hard.
I know a handful of guys that rode this year and also last year's event. I'm not a real fan of the name either. First time I heard it mentioned I thought the guys were going to Michigan to ride the Iceman Cometh Challenge (Kalkaska to Traverse City). I guess if it's cold/windy/wet enough, the event could have an "Iceman" feel to it.....
You mentioned one of your fellow riders was/is from Indiana; if I may be so bold as to ask, what part of Indiana? We moved here from there 10 1/2 years ago. From NE Indiana, a little south of Fort Wayne.
Thank you! I would like to do a paved road ride in that area. And thanks for the tip on the low water crossings. I'm not at all familiar with those risks. I do remember riding through Valley Mills. I had to make a left across oncoming traffic on what appeared to be town's main drag. Very charming. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear in the blog but I rode the Iceman's Challenge alone. I was referring to some Strava friends up north who are posting pretty extreme rides this time of year. The person I mentioned in Indiana is in Valparaiso. Here's a link to her Strava profile: https://www.strava.com/athletes/1623432 She often posts rides on her fat bike in the snow.

My blog and Instagram
Old 01-03-2017, 02:48 PM

don't let a bit of snow stop you

[IMG]Snowmobile by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 01-03-2017, 03:06 PM

Ride ended abruptly yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2017, 07:16 PM
The B!

lil CoCo tundra riding today.... frozen cascadia doesnt happen too often

Followed some yote tracks to 5-6 cow elk carcasses...

Always fun