Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2017, 05:06 PM

Would you ride here?

While attempting to find the speed limit on Morena Blvd in San Diego, I stumbled upon this site. I have not attempted to investigate the likelihood of this happening, but if it did, how would you feel to ride North in the green bike lane that goes head-on with cars? Posted speed minimum, ahem, excuse me, speed limit will be 25mph.

http://raisetheballoon.org/boardwalk...configuration/

I currently ride to/from work on this road. I feel pretty good heading South, but hate the Northbound return. Cars parked parallel along the road with 2 other lanes for travel. Cars frequently doing 45-50mph.
I got passed a couple of weeks ago by two motorists that were apparently racing. I estimate their speed in excess of 70mph.

This proposal would be so much better with a concrete barrier separating the bikes from the cars.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookmyers View Post
While attempting to find the speed limit on Morena Blvd in San Diego, I stumbled upon this site. I have not attempted to investigate the likelihood of this happening, but if it did, how would you feel to ride North in the green bike lane that goes head-on with cars? Posted speed minimum, ahem, excuse me, speed limit will be 25mph.

http://raisetheballoon.org/boardwalk...configuration/

I currently ride to/from work on this road. I feel pretty good heading South, but hate the Northbound return. Cars parked parallel along the road with 2 other lanes for travel. Cars frequently doing 45-50mph.
I got passed a couple of weeks ago by two motorists that were apparently racing. I estimate their speed in excess of 70mph.

This proposal would be so much better with a concrete barrier separating the bikes from the cars.
That proposal page is pretty haphazard, with the superimposed view showing something completely different than the proposed elevation/section layout graphic. The superimposed view shows the two bike lanes being right-side travel with the lane closest car traffic going in an opposite direction, while the layout graphic shows the bike lane closest the cars going in the same direction.

Either way the layout is a mess since angled parking only works when speed is kept down through features other than speed limits. Multiple stop signs, stop lights, or pedestrian traffic crossings are the only means that could effectively keep actual car speeds manageable for that long stretch of road. Anything else will lead to accidents and increased intense stopping/starting, which only causes more traffic.

As for protecting cyclists, yes a concrete barrier would offer more protection but it's probably not practical from a budgetary perspective. Really tough scenario here since it looks like they're trying to create a recreational / habitable environment where right now it's mostly a travel/traffic thoroughfare.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:35 PM

Great catch! Thank you!