Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2017, 10:28 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
bet he's fun to hang out with at parties.
Something tells me he's not invited to many.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO View Post
I'd like to follow him around for ten minutes and present him with a photo album of his own lawbreaking on the road.
Probably won't have to wait that long.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:03 AM

Something tells me there's a weekly renegade hammerfest ride in the area, possibly near where he lives or works. Or maybe he's just a hater. He better not hit any cyclists. A judge would not take kindly to that sign.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:09 AM
weather watcher

About 15 years ago I was driving through a small town in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont. Came across a bright yellow pickup with lift kit and big balloon tires. Across the top of the windshield in huge, dayglow letters, were the words "ASSHOLE SAY WHAT?"

Wish I'd taken a photo - one helluva way to make a first impression.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
Saw this on a truck recently.

Discuss.
Careful what you wish for truck driver, if all cyclists followed the same rules of the road as autos he'd really be upset. We have the right to take a full lane on most urban roads though most of us stay to the right to give autos the ability to pass. Now if every cyclist was to come to a full stop while taking up the whole lane drivers behind that cyclist will soon be getting antsy waiting for the slow cyclist to get moving again and will soon wish that that asshole cyclist would have just gone through that stupid stop sign.
It's a mind thing. In reality cyclists going through stops safely that are clear actually help to keep traffic moving whereas stopping when there is no reason to do so becomes an impediment in keeping traffic flowing.

Last edited by bobswire; 07-28-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrya View Post
saw this on a truck recently.

Discuss.
8dd7aa46d497c98a2bd21cfa44724aa6a34f19876a54028e94097424baa41f2c.jpg
Old 07-28-2017, 04:07 PM

Some stats from UK. Likely similar ratios in North America.

"There were 79 pedestrians killed or seriously injured (KSI) by bikes in urban areas in 2012, so that’s one KSI per 75 million miles walked.

By contrast, there were 4,679 pedestrian KSIs involving motor vehicles - one KSI per 1.25 million miles walked.

That means for every mile you walk, you are 60 times more likely to be killed or seriously injured by a driver than a cyclist."

http://road.cc/content/news/109269-a...us-pedestrians

Above leaves aside the increased likelihood of severe injury when a car is involved. Also doesn't deal with all the accidents involving only cars not bicycles. (Point being motorists are effectively never at risk of death or injury in an accident involving a bicycle.)

Thus, drivers worrying about cyclists ignoring stop signs has little to do with safety.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I've commuted by bike off and on for 30 years. Every day I ride along side all sorts of A$$holes who can't ride bikes. Cars are way more predictable.
even the worst cyclist I've ever encountered has not hit me from behind, left me bleeding and unconscious, and left the scene...

just sayin'...
Old 07-28-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
Something tells me there's a weekly renegade hammerfest ride in the area, possibly near where he lives or works. Or maybe he's just a hater. He better not hit any cyclists. A judge would not take kindly to that sign.
My first view of the magnificent display of opinion on the truck was not too far from the Natchez Trace hit and run (recent thread here) as I happened to be following the same route into town.

We do have riding groups/clubs in the area. Their rides are not well organized from a traffic safety/courtesy standpoint. (IMO) We are also the center for riding south of Nashville, because it is just a great area for riding. As expected, some of the riders do ride like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off and ride in places they "have a right to" but aren't really good safe places to ride. So some conflicts arise.

The race crowd has their stuff together, the general public of riders not so much. I gave up trying to tell them many years ago. Part of why I ride alone most times.