Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
when I saw that they were trying to get road bikes to use 1 1/4", I thought it made sense. It probably does make sense, but 1 1/2" seems to have taken over anyway. Or rather, 1 1/4" failed to supplant 1.5 on road bikes.
Many years ago, when threaded headsets were the norm, there was even a 1 1/4" threaded headset standard for MTBs, which was supposed to be an improvement over the 1 1/8" threaded headset standard. The 1 1/4" headset never caught on and disappeared quickly (the dominant standard became the 1 1/8" threadless standard).

When MTBs finally decided that 1 1/8" wasn't big enough, they skipped over 1 1/4", and went straight to 1 1/2".

Guess who bought an MTB during the 1 or 2 year period when 1 1/4" headsets were around? Since this was a threaded headset, it used quill stems. Very few companies made 1 1/4" quill stems, so a few years later when I wanted to change the stem, I couldn't find any.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Many years ago, when threaded headsets were the norm, there was even a 1 1/4" threaded headset standard for MTBs, which was supposed to be an improvement over the 1 1/8" threaded headset standard.
I actually remember ?Fisher or maybe Yeti having 1 1/4 first, then we went to 1 1/8" I don't remember the clever name for 1 1/4, 1 1/8 was aheadset from diacompe originally.. But, I'm old and may misremember
Old 07-28-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
I actually remember ?Fisher or maybe Yeti having 1 1/4 first, then we went to 1 1/8" I don't remember the clever name for 1 1/4, 1 1/8 was aheadset from diacompe originally.. But, I'm old and may misremember
The 1 1/4" threaded headset standard was called the "Fisher Evolution Headset". Gary Fisher must have dreamed it up shortly after he invented the Mountain Bike.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:53 PM

well, my lbs didn't stock a king standard 1 1/8 base plate. had to order for me....
don't think too many of these things sell tbh.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:36 PM
coffee consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
well, my lbs didn't stock a king standard 1 1/8 base plate. had to order for me....
don't think too many of these things sell tbh.
most of the time they're in use or worn out...and, if its worn out, probably just time to replace the entire headset. Probably better off posting a WTB here for a bunch of us tinkerers that hoard small parts.