Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-10-2024, 11:51 AM

Paris Nice - Possible Spoilers

Where is the love, amazing finish.

Last edited by Bruce K; 03-10-2024 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-10-2024, 12:57 PM

US riders in 1st and 3rd....amazing! The final descent on those wet roads had me on the edge of my seat.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/pa...age-8/results/

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paris Nice.jpg (143.5 KB, 300 views)
Old 03-10-2024, 01:01 PM
Back At It!

yes, great race for sure!! Visma/Lease a Bike is going to be so strong this year I think.. Tadaj will certainly have his hands full once the full teams are together for TdF.. of course, Tadaj will have McNulty so.. but I just think Jonas will have more matches to burn when needed.. I can't see Roglic being too much of a threat based on what we've seen so far..
Old 03-10-2024, 01:06 PM

So happy for the Americans. And just what I wanted for Primoz the back stabber, not in contention
Old 03-10-2024, 01:28 PM

Really interesting to see how little support UAE gave McNulty the last two days. Either couldn't or wouldn't.
He was mostly isolated in yellow even sending a rider back to help almeida on the climb yesterday leaving him alone to deal with Remcos inevitable surges.
Not sure quite yet what that says about the team.

Remco confuses me. he could really use an experienced GC rider on his team. He seems to need to prove he is the strongest rider all the time at every moment.
Im not sure over the course of the TdF he can simmer down long enough to make it thru without a sans jour from incessant small attacks.

But a great race to watch
Old 03-10-2024, 05:00 PM

A fine race for the Americans indeed! I'm looking forward to their performances this season. And I love seeing the countryside over in that neck of the woods in the early spring.
Old 03-10-2024, 05:40 PM

After taking all three GT's last year, Jumbo starts where they left off, taking not only P-N but T-A in the same week, first-ever team to pull that double off.
Old 03-10-2024, 08:13 PM

Great to see Jorgenson riding strong and smart, keeping Evenepoel on a short leash. It takes ability, strength, and a cool demeanor to NOT be intimidated by a former world champ and grand tour winner. Chapeau!

Greg
Old 03-10-2024, 08:56 PM

What a great ride by Jorgenson, he matched Remco pedal stroke for pedal stroke and even gifted him the stage today like a true boss, and a great job by McNulty fighting tooth and nail to stay on the podium, great ride by both of them.
Old 03-10-2024, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Great to see Jorgenson riding strong and smart, keeping Evenepoel on a short leash. It takes ability, strength, and a cool demeanor to NOT be intimidated by a former world champ and grand tour winner. Chapeau!

Greg
I was impressed with how calm and collected MJ seemed throughout — a great win for him!
Old 03-11-2024, 04:17 AM
ZhugeLiang

Learn more about Matteo

Training ride with Matteo Jorgenson:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOVc4132o0E
Old 03-11-2024, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryun View Post
Really interesting to see how little support UAE gave McNulty the last two days. Either couldn't or wouldn't.
He was mostly isolated in yellow even sending a rider back to help almeida on the climb yesterday leaving him alone to deal with Remcos inevitable surges.

Remco confuses me. he could really use an experienced GC rider on his team. He seems to need to prove he is the strongest rider all the time at every moment.
Im not sure over the course of the TdF he can simmer down long enough to make it thru without a sans jour from incessant small attacks.

But a great race to watch
UAE have never excelled on the tactical front but, then again, they've never had to. Pogacar was usually strong enough and brilliant enough to sort himself out on his own.

That has changed in the last two years and one of the things I was looking forward to this season was to see how their tactics developed. So far, I'm not seeing much that has changed. Perhaps they need Pogacar in the race for everyone to get focused on one rider. They don't do well when they have two leaders in a race.

I would have thought P-Nice and T-A would have been great opportunities to work on this aspect of their game, but it seems not.
Old 03-11-2024, 09:39 AM

[QUOTE=Ryun;3361087]Really interesting to see how little support UAE gave McNulty the last two days. Either couldn't or wouldn't.

It looked to me like UAE simply couldn't help McNulty. I know the announcer said that UAE sent a rider back to help Almeida but he was minutes back in the standings and out of the top ten so that really didn't make sense to me. I was thinking that the UAE rider mostly lost contact and decided to wait for the relief train. Anyway, I really hope UAE gets it together so Pogacar has solid support. I was super happy Sepp and Mateo won with Jumbo. But am now rooting for anyone else.
Old 03-11-2024, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromopromo View Post
It looked to me like UAE simply couldn't help McNulty. I know the announcer said that UAE sent a rider back to help Almeida but he was minutes back in the standings and out of the top ten so that really didn't make sense to me. I was thinking that the UAE rider mostly lost contact and decided to wait for the relief train.
Same here. McNulty was alone a whole lot of the last 2 stages. Ultimately it's McNulty who can either make it or not (see: Jorgensen in the final stage), but Grosschartner dropping back to help Almeida made no sense whatsoever if that's what that move was. I suspect he just couldn't hold that group's pace.

What a spectacular place to have a bike race.
Old 03-11-2024, 12:45 PM

That was a great Paris Nice

I did not really realize it but American Cyclist in the pro ranks are well represented right now.

Sepp Kuss...Visma
Neilson Powless...EF
Matteo Jorgenson..Visma
Magnus Sheffield...Ineos
Quinn Simmons...Trek
Luke Lamperti...Quick Step
Kevin Vermaerke...DSM
Brandon McNulty...UAE