Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2017, 10:32 PM

Special Campy chainring tool???

Campy neophyte here. Trying to pop off some chainrings to clean, and ran into this bugger. Is this a special campy tool? It isn't a simple pin (elongated not round) so nothing in the toolbox fits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2017, 10:50 PM

I'm not clear as to what you are referring to by "simple pin (elongated not round)".
By "pin" do you mean the 5th arm "hidden bolt"? That should be a Torx 30.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:03 PM

It is a small plastic pin that can be pried out or pulled out with a small pair of pliers. Then you can simply use your Torx wrench. I'm not clear why they do that. It's like a little tamper-resistant seal.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:12 PM

1st time i see that the bolt has a platic protection thing inserted. Which crankset is it?? a SR 11 or something?
Old 09-21-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
It is a small plastic pin that can be pried out or pulled out with a small pair of pliers. Then you can simply use your Torx wrench. I'm not clear why they do that. It's like a little tamper-resistant seal.
Good to know. I've seen torx bolts that have a center pin (and some torx tools have a hollow center to allow for that). This was just weird and seemed entirely unnecessary. Who's going to tamper with the fifth bolt on a crankset?!
Old 09-21-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
Oh, I see now: the op meant that little plastic insert in the Torx bolt. All it does is cause confusion and consternation. I have no idea why Campagnolo put that thing there, but this theory is as good as any I guess....
Quote:
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtop...10235&start=20

St. Elia, The thing in the middle of the inside chainring bolt (the one that screws into back of crank arm) is a little plastic plug designed to keep home mechanics from being able to work on the cranks. Grab it with some needle nose pliers and try to yank it out, or just smush your Torx T30 into it hard enough to get a purchase and remove the bolt. Once the bolt is out it's easy to remove the little plastic plug.

I think Campagnolo does this because according to their documentation chainring replacement should only be done by a certified shop. I'd love to know why they say this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastforaSlowGuy View Post
Good to know. I've seen torx bolts that have a center pin (and some torx tools have a hollow center to allow for that). This was just weird and seemed entirely unnecessary. Who's going to tamper with the fifth bolt on a crankset?!
Yes, just pry it out and get rid of it. You are right: it is a totally unnecessary thing.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:10 AM
Administrator

my guess was they put those there as part of some automated assembly process to give the robot something to grab when they are being put together?
Old 09-22-2017, 07:08 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastforaSlowGuy View Post
Campy neophyte here. Trying to pop off some chainrings to clean, and ran into this bugger. Is this a special campy tool? It isn't a simple pin (elongated not round) so nothing in the toolbox fits.

Just use a sharp pick or something and break it off, it's just a wee piece of plastic in there..seems Campag doesn't want you to take these rings off to clean them, etc..

And for Angry above..no robots at Campagnolo. All these are hand assembled..I suspect they have some person installing these into the Torx nut after assembly.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:01 AM

Since Peter dident mention it I'm likely in the wrong but i would have thought those bearings go the other way around on the crank.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Since Peter dident mention it I'm likely in the wrong but i would have thought those bearings go the other way around on the crank.

Literally just pulled this out of a box, so my history with the crank is about 3 minutes, but at a first glance the bearings look to be installed the same as my other crank. I'll take a look though.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:00 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Depends..the bearings I use are RS, double sealed and Enduro mostly, red seals.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Depends..the bearings I use are RS, double sealed and Enduro mostly, red seals.
Yeah thats what i thought could be going on. Just I'm use to standard campy and then i think i made a mental note that "if i can see red" its wrong