Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydhest
Respect.
+1 Million. I've been in the dark place as well. I wish you the best Mr Steelman.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerescuefin
You speak like people wish the guy ill will and that they're selfless bastards to even talk about the past.
Maybe that's because some of the earlier post came off, at least to me, as a bit snarky.

"says one snark to another"
Old 03-15-2012, 04:00 PM
Mr Dobalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles
Maybe that's because some of the earlier post came off, at least to me, as a bit snarky.

"says one snark to another"
Maybe lost in the translation

Wish I hadn't experienced some of what Brent is going through...Agree with the Big Ups sentiment shared by others for his post here.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:16 PM

This matter has personal ties to me that I won't reveal.

I wasn't on the board back then, but I doubt Dario was told he'd lost credibility, had to re-establish himself, and was compared to other builders of questionable repute, when he came back.

Had it occurred, it might have been a "fair" topic, but it would have been in terribly bad taste.

I doubt Brent would know me if he saw me. But when I go on a ride, I see his name on my downtube and think of my interaction with him each time. Some of the best experiences of my life have occurred while looking at that Steelman downtube sticker. I can't help but associate these good experiences to him. That's why we ride custom, handbuilt bikes-because they have a soul. Thank you Brent, for the happiness your product has brought me.

I'm glad your back and wish you all the best. 30 more years!!
Old 03-15-2012, 05:52 PM
#bottlestorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo
This matter has personal ties to me that I won't reveal.

I wasn't on the board back then, but I doubt Dario was told he'd lost credibility, had to re-establish himself, and was compared to other builders of questionable repute, when he came back.

Had it occurred, it might have been a "fair" topic, but it would have been in terribly bad taste.

I doubt Brent would know me if he saw me. But when I go on a ride, I see his name on my downtube and think of my interaction with him each time. Some of the best experiences of my life have occurred while looking at that Steelman downtube sticker. I can't help but associate these good experiences to him. That's why we ride custom, handbuilt bikes-because they have a soul. Thank you Brent, for the happiness your product has brought me.

I'm glad your back and wish you all the best. 30 more years!!
I am not certain he is being compared to builders of questionable dispute. You are a proud owner and a great advocate and so I can see how you might view some of the criticism.

What he went through, is going through, is serious ****, no doubt. With that said, it is reasonable to expect that some customer might not feel comfortable going with him for a bike project. I don't agree with them, I wouldn't flinch in sending him a deposit for a frame if I was in the market. He sounds like an honest, stand up guy and that is worth a lot to me. For others, they have a different comfort level. Stating that opinion though doesn't mean the man is being beaten down, but is an honest point factor in decision making.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.steelman
One of my friends and customers brought this discussion to my attention. I think some clarification might help.

Nothing I did in the last year was premeditated. I went into a state of depression, very dark and very deep. Those that have been there know. At the bottom I could only think to close the business and sell all the assets. When that decision was made, an enormous swell of support followed which slowly helped bring me up. We had to return deposits because it was the right thing to do. I did not get any complaints, only support. My customers, friends, and family are beyond reproach.

I have no expectations, but I now know that lots of people are concerned and do care. That in itself is worth any kind of criticism of how I have handled things.
Best of luck, keep up the positive momentum and do your thing.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:22 PM

http://www.steelmancycles.com/prices...fork_stem.html

steelman's new price list...

$5500 for lugged frameset http://forums.thepaceline.net/images/smilies/eek.gif
Old 03-24-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarion View Post
I don't see that working for him, but I have been wrong before.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:28 PM

Last edited by SamIAm; 03-24-2012 at 07:29 PM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 03-24-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarion View Post
The Cabal (Collective) controls all!

And I reserve the right to pass on over the top pricing and patron builders with more reasonably pricing like Curtlo.

Last edited by Earl Gray; 03-24-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
I don't see that working for him, but I have been wrong before.
I know the new prices seem high. After my brain crashed and burned, and the decision was made to start over, some serious reevaluation was necessary to avoid a repeat. I have been doing this for almost 30 years and have sold a lot of bikes. Outside the satisfaction derived from seeing happy customers, the ratio of reward to hard work is out of balance. If you want to call me I will tell you the average bottom line on the schedule c for those years of work. It is embarrassing. Is it an evil thing if I want my wife and I to live on 60K instead of 21k? Most people in America make much more than a good frame builder and they don't work nearly as hard. If I don't sell bikes at the new prices, which are based on real costs and a decent wage, then it shows the market is unwilling to reward the skills needed to produce a top level product. I am not embarrassed by the prices because they are actually a fair value. You get a great bike and maybe I can buy some health insurance and start a small retirement account.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:13 PM

Were the people refunded their deposit allowed to get back in line at the original price they were in contract for? If so, I see it as no harm no foul.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:15 PM
Mr Dobalina

Brent...what are your expectations at this point...meaning how do you think the new model is going to be received/ work out.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerescuefin View Post
Brent...what are your expectations at this point...meaning how do you think the new model is going to be received/ work out.
As with everyone here, I think, their priority is health (mental and physical) and financial security. I hope to continue to sell and build bikes. If people don't buy them, then it is time to move on to something else, but I would prefer to keep building frames.

I have spoken to several frame builders that want and need to charge more, but feel the market will not accept the necessary prices. Is this a good situation? If a nice custom guitar or horn is 6k why can't a fine bike frame be in the same category? Nobody is getting rich producing labor intensive items, but a respectable wage is not too much to ask.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spin71 View Post
Were the people refunded their deposit allowed to get back in line at the original price they were in contract for?
I see things differently: If a builder decides that Business Model A is just not the right thing for him, so he refunds deposits, reorganizes, and shifts over to Business Model B, I see no reason why he would be obliged to go back to the Model A pricing for the folks who were previously in line.

(caveat: I'm not a lawyer)
Closed Thread