Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2017, 06:54 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
it's the ones who ride tubulars that create all the trouble.
nancy!!
Old 08-10-2017, 10:12 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Just a quick bump (but not hard enough to bruise the fruit).

Also, if you are unsure of our intent, please re-read this.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:11 AM
Administrator

FYI...

Apparently a couple of our members decided to ignore this general warning as well as a direct warning in a thread that ended up getting locked. A two week time out has been put in place and we are hopeful that when the time period expires they will rejoin the forum and work within the forum rules.

As we said in the OP, please be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

William
Old 08-10-2017, 11:39 AM
Classics Fan

This has been the direction I've tried to go in the past. If there are too many threads that are negative/un-interesting, take the time to write up a ride report (with pictures is best), find an interesting article and post it, gear review, etc.

I'm not talking about trash posting, but put the effort into some productive original content if the other threads aren't what you'd like.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
nancy!!
Nancy! I am locking myself in my safe space!

Tim
Old 08-10-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
FYI...

Apparently a couple of our members decided to ignore this general warning as well as a direct warning in a thread that ended up getting locked. A two week time out has been put in place and we are hopeful that when the time period expires they will rejoin the forum and work within the forum rules.

As we said in the OP, please be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

William

All I did was complain about bananas!!!
Old 08-10-2017, 12:19 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

And you're still here!

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:24 PM
Administrator

side note is a thank-you to most of the members here. the reality is that 95% of the folks here are nothing but great company, and it's unfortunate that we have a handful of repeat offender "pot stirrers" who feel the need to disrupt the flow of the place.

a forum gets its vibe from the majority of members, and i think for the most, we all do a great job of conversing.

we'll weed out the rotten bananas
Old 08-10-2017, 01:07 PM
It An't Me Babe

I'll go out on a limb here. What I see is:
  1. Folks that disagree with something almost invariably respond not by putting a hole in the idea or opinion they disagree with...but by trying to put a hole in the person that said it.

2. In giving an opinion that somebody responds to disagree with what was said....most of the time that disagreement is taken personally. Which can make sense and is understandable if the response is expressed as in see Number 1 above. Or it could also be that even if the rebuttal were to be correctly addressed as on point - some folks just don't know how to handle disagreement.

3. Some folks are combative and don't know how to back off...they are not trading opinions in a discussion instead they are arguing to win. Which is nutty because nobody is gonna roll over and play dead while they are in the middle of a discussion. Nor should they - this is not combat.

4. Critical thought or a critical thought process? As a general rule or expectation? Fuhgeddaboudit. Anything gotten is a bonus & count your blessings.

5. It is cowardly to feign insult as a fallback when ideas can't be defended on their own merit. The diversion is to set your jaw, redden your face and proclaim it “disgraceful, rude, nasty, yada yada yada” never detailing precisely how the conversation took such a turn other than because that's how somebody wants to see it. It is a hissy fit looking for a bailout from the Mods.

6. Discuss things and handle disagreements, if they come up, like an adult. Reasonable persons can agree to disagree.
This is what I see and I'm stickin' to it. Lots of reasonable people here. Also some that are not. Just like any cross section of life. This place is a good place; as internet places go it is exceptional. Let's not screw it up.

P.S. Yes thanks to the Mods also for all that they do. But saying this, other than as a proper sentiment, implies that they are majorly tasked with keeping the members orderly and in compliance with the forum agreement - even though this is a small part of what they do. It is not incumbent on the Mods to keep us in line here, it is incumbent on each member to keep themselves in line here in this forum. Each of us are accountable and responsible for what we post here and how we conduct ourselves here. Simple, huh?

Last edited by fuzzalow; 08-11-2017 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Added P.S.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:12 PM

Tip of the hat to the mods. Can't be easy.

Hope everyone gets a chance to go out and ride.

and one more
Old 08-10-2017, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

This is a wonderful place in my book. There are a lot of knowledgable members with a wealth of information about not just bikes, everything you can think of.

I do appreciate this place and the few I've met in the flesh are kind and generous.

Thanks everyone
Old 08-10-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
This is a wonderful place in my book. There are a lot of knowledgable members with a wealth of information about not just bikes, everything you can think of.

I do appreciate this place and the few I've met in the flesh are kind and generous.

Thanks everyone
I visited another cycling forum recently because it had an active thread on a subject of interest to me. Yikes, what a rude, vulgar, uncomfortable place it was (is). Really puts things in perspective. Thanks mods.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
Tip of the hat to the mods. Can't be easy.

Hope everyone gets a chance to go out and ride.

and one more
Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post

Thanks everyone

I'll second that. And add an implied beer and dancing banana since I'm on Tapatalk...
Old 08-10-2017, 11:28 PM
Boeuf Chane

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Just checking to see if I could still post...