Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2017, 06:24 AM
Tired Member

Yeah, I've done it.
Do it at the crack of dawn before it gets loaded up with people. I did it in the pre-dawn hours. There was no one out there, but it was f*in dark.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:44 AM

I've done the ride from Port Jervis to Binghampton along the Delaware on 97. I think it is a great ride as long as it is not a crowded weekend in the fall. There are some dirt roads on the Penn side you can ride up.

Hawk's Nest itself is fun but short and if you ride in the mountains, it is not bad at all. 202 from Peekskill to Bear Mountain Bridge along the Hudson is way worse for traffic. It's all relative. The memorials are for motocyclist not cyclists.

http://www.upperdelawarescenicbyway.org/

Last edited by verticaldoug; 08-17-2017 at 06:47 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:09 AM
head to toe Assos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
But Otsego county is calling you!
Decisions...decisions...
Old 08-17-2017, 03:45 PM

I've ridden it several times from Lackawaxen on PA randonneur routes and have never had any issues. While they were rebuilding the stone walls at the overlooks (which took forever) they had the Eastbound lane closed and it was still quite acceptable. There can be some motorcycle traffic but it's never been objectionable. The views are pretty spectacular.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:09 PM
Randomhead

it's not bad going towards Port Jervis. I have done that many times with no issues. When you get to the start of the scenic part, it's downhill until you get to a stretch with a very wide shoulder near Port Jervis. I have only done it the other direction once, and it turned out to not be as bad as I thought. I have seen quite a few cyclists riding in that direction. The worst stretch of road used to be just inside the Orange county line, there was an uphill with a ditch in the shoulder for no good reason. They just repaved, and it's pretty nice there now.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:52 AM

Hard to beat Otsego county for cycling and great scenery. I try to get out there once a week! I just found a lake house in the Adirondack mountains that I am looking to purchase. There is a lot of great places in upstate NY for all kinds of recreation. Good luck with your search!