Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-27-2017, 06:29 AM

Nor surprise that this is where we got to--we all know 'cars own the roads' and cyclists and pedestrians are only in the picture under sufferance.

So given that, the next step for the autonomous car is for cyclists (and pedestrians?) to warn cars about their presence. Think of the whole urban streetscape as a massive takeover by cars--timed traffic lights (the lights themselves), pedestrians corralled onto 'sidewalks' so cars get the prime real estate etc.

If the solution is something like a small transponder that you can attach to your bike, cyclists will cave and attach them, and the fundamental notion that we can only ride and walk in ways that don't inconvenience cars will continue.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:00 AM

here they suggest that driverless cars should have their own road lanes, otherwise it adds extra headache for everyone around. I don't like to drive (such a waste of time) but I do love cycling and hope that autonomous cars and (god forbid) driverless motor homes will not change the attitude much. I'm afraid people might stop walking and forget about basic physical activity whatsoever.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:01 PM

Can we just have our own roads come the day cars guided by software coded by 22 year olds living in mommy's basement come to fruition.