Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Marketplace > Vendors

Old 08-21-2014, 06:10 PM

What's the purported advantage of the triplet lacing?
Old 08-21-2014, 06:33 PM
ergottWheels

Pluses
Nearly even tension left to right
Laterally stiffer when a triple hub is used
Great torque transfer with 16 drive side spokes on right side instead of 12

Minuses
If a spoke should break, wheel goes more out of true
Limited component offerings. Rim has to have spoke holes drilled with no offset

A true triplet hub has a left flange much wider than a traditional hub. Normal hubs are about 36mm from center. A triple hub had the left flange from 47mm - 50mm from center. That wider bracing angle lowers the resultant tension, but remember that there are half the spokes. If the flanges were equal you would have twice the tension on them. If doubled, they would be the same. That sounds great, but you halved the number of spokes so you lose lateral stiffness. Instead, you move the flange far out where lateral stiffness is recovered yet tension is still considerably higher than a traditional wheel. I go one further and use a heavier gauge spoke for even better lateral stiffness.

If you look carefully at Shimano and Campagnolo current factory wheels you will see all this in action. It's nice having access to similar technology. Ultimately I would like to see a company like White Industries offer hubs like this. I would also love to see a rim drilled specifically for this pattern. If the spoke holes were drilled correctly for this pattern durability would increase.

I'm calling you out Kirk! In fairness to him, demand would have to be established before committing to ordering the rims. If I were him I wouldn't want to be sitting on rims that aren't selling well either.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
Pluses
Nearly even tension left to right
Laterally stiffer when a triple hub is used
Great torque transfer with 16 drive side spokes on right side instead of 12

Minuses

A true triplet hub has a left flange much wider than a traditional hub. Normal hubs are about 36mm from center. A triple hub had the left flange from 47mm - 50mm from center. That wider bracing angle lowers the resultant tension, but remember that there are half the spokes. If the flanges were equal you would have twice the tension on them. If doubled, they would be the same. That sounds great, but you halved the number of spokes so you lose lateral stiffness. Instead, you move the flange far out where lateral stiffness is recovered yet tension is still considerably higher than a traditional wheel. I go one further and use a heavier gauge spoke for even better lateral stiffness.

If you look carefully at Shimano and Campagnolo current factory wheels you will see all this in action. It's nice having access to similar technology. Ultimately I would like to see a company like White Industries offer hubs like this. I would also love to see a rim drilled specifically for this pattern. If the spoke holes were drilled correctly for this pattern durability would increase.

I'm calling you out Kirk! In fairness to him, demand would have to be established before committing to ordering the rims. If I were him I wouldn't want to be sitting on rims that aren't selling well either.
Cool! Good info!

Have you asked WI about a set of hubs like this? I guess it's more than drilling them. That would be pretty easy but it also seems to actually involve the flange placement, so I guess that's not so easy.

Sounds like a great idea actually. I love my Pacenti rims and this seems like a good excuse to get more.......
Old 08-21-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
The hubs aren't in production and I don't have any long term testing on the coating so I'm not prepared to sell the service just yet. Stay tuned though. If it holds up I'm definitely considering it.
Eric, I actually tried Cerokote and it lasted the best out of all of the baked on finishes I tried. Oddly when it got wet is when the coating would wear off quickly. Maybe we can work out some kind of deal on my new all black ceramic rims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Cool! Good info!

Have you asked WI about a set of hubs like this? I guess it's more than drilling them. That would be pretty easy but it also seems to actually involve the flange placement, so I guess that's not so easy.

Sounds like a great idea actually. I love my Pacenti rims and this seems like a good excuse to get more.......
My first triplet hubs were made by White Industries. They require a pretty large order before they will make something like that and they only do side work like this for a select few people.

I am coming out with new triplet hubs and I had planned on making some available to Eric for his builds.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:45 PM
ergottWheels

I know I can get a run of custom White Industry hubs and that's who I'd be interested in have do them. They have a great reputation for quality already so I wouldn't have to start from scratch with the design. Actually, Troy did this with a limited run so I know it's possible.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:47 PM
ergottWheels

I'm glad you posted! For those who don't know Troy and I have been good friends for years and are constantly bouncing ideas off each other. I'm always impressed with the ideas he comes up with/works on.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:48 PM
ergottWheels

More on the rim he's working on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oalrTl_TVRg
Old 08-21-2014, 07:06 PM

I wish there were a 'like' here for threads like this. I love it when this stuff gets discussed by folks who work with it all the time.

I also build and true wheels but just for myself. I've had Eric build me two sets of wheels and I'd get more in a second.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:00 PM

That triplet rear reminds me of the Pacenti road hubs.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
More on the rim he's working on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oalrTl_TVRg
I'm totally in for a set of wheels with those rims and triplet lacing. What width are those? Sign me up!
Old 08-22-2014, 06:57 AM

I can drill 'em that way!
Old 08-22-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
I'm totally in for a set of wheels with those rims and triplet lacing. What width are those? Sign me up!
The rim that I have been working on and will be available in a few weeks is 29mm tall, 24mm wide and weighs 445g. The rims will be drilled with drive and non drive specific angles, the drive side will have shallower angles compared to the non drive spoke hole angles.

Here is link to the rim drawing so you can see the profile. https://www.facebook.com/ligerowheel...type=3&theater
Old 08-22-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligero View Post
The rim that I have been working on and will be available in a few weeks is 29mm tall, 24mm wide and weighs 445g. The rims will be drilled with drive and non drive specific angles, the drive side will have shallower angles compared to the non drive spoke hole angles.

Here is link to the rim drawing so you can see the profile. https://www.facebook.com/ligerowheel...type=3&theater
I can't wait!
Old 08-22-2014, 10:45 AM

You can't have too many Ergott Signature wheelsets!
Old 09-18-2014, 09:09 PM

triplet rim

[QUOTE=ergott;1608876]
Minuses

What is the ETA of these new rims? What spoke count would you sell? 24, or higher spoke is more durable?