Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2016, 09:32 AM

Cool, thanks guys. I just rebuilt a set, thinking about selling it to try something else but also to get an old set of MAFACS to rebuild again as it was fun

Old 12-08-2016, 09:50 AM
Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by belopsky View Post
Cool, thanks guys. I just rebuilt a set, thinking about selling it to try something else but also to get an old set of MAFACS to rebuild again as it was fun

Did you use the Compass rebuild kit?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 559Rando View Post
Did you use the Compass rebuild kit?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Not entirely - I made my own bushings, bought the Compass washers, and then the rest of the hardware (adjusters/holders) and stainless springs from Grand Bois
Old 12-08-2016, 10:59 AM

Never, ever met a canti brake I liked. Squishy, hard to adjust, etc. Blah.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:26 AM

I've had bikes with Weinman and Diacompe center pulls. Meh... Flexy with no power.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:50 AM
Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by belopsky View Post
Not entirely - I made my own bushings, bought the Compass washers, and then the rest of the hardware (adjusters/holders) and stainless springs from Grand Bois
For a guy who never took metal shop, making bushings is way beyond me. What's the advantage versus buying the Compass ones? Something fun to do? Cheaper? Did you use brass? I thought brass was soft, so I wonder why they use brass for these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I've had bikes with Weinman and Diacompe center pulls. Meh... Flexy with no power.
That can be so many things. I quite liked my brazeon Dia Compe 750s with Kool Stop pads. The stock pads were lousy. I've also had good stopping with the CNC'ed Dia Compe 610s (centermounted) and the Weinmanns that came on my '71 Raleigh International. Cable housing, toe-in, brake pads, levers, cable routing, etc all factor into the stopping power and feel.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 559Rando View Post
For a guy who never took metal shop, making bushings is way beyond me. What's the advantage versus buying the Compass ones? Something fun to do? Cheaper? Did you use brass? I thought brass was soft, so I wonder why they use brass for these?
I decided to make my own because Compass was sold out of theirs when I wanted to rebuild.

All in all, if I had waited and got their hardware kit..vs what I paid/made myself, I saved $45, though I don't have all the glossy bits.

Next time I make another set, I might see if they'll sell me the hardware kit without bushings.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:12 PM

I'll add that if you have a set of MAFAC that are laying around or got super cheap..some filing, sanding, polishing nets you some realllly nice brakes for $125
Old 12-08-2016, 12:35 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

If anyone's interested in a pair of the canti-style MAFACs, PM me. I have a pair I doubt I'll ever use

All ya gotta do to update them is run In-Place pads/holders

M
Old 12-08-2016, 12:40 PM

My riding buddy Rich is behind the House Industries Velo stuff... Takes the Paul Racer brakes and jazzes them up a bit.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:58 AM

Ok, question: I've a frame with 55 mm canti stud spacing. Otherwise normal vertical distance to rim. What brake to use?
Old 12-10-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post
Ok, question: I've a frame with 55 mm canti stud spacing. Otherwise normal vertical distance to rim. What brake to use?
I'm guessing an older frame intended for Mafac Cantis? That's very narrow as I'm sure you're aware. Maybe some Kool Stop thinlines with posts on old Suntour XC-Pros or Shimano Deores? Posts will yield far more adjustment range than modern stud/spherical washer/nut. And definitely stay away from wide rims.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:11 PM

The frame is actually fairly new, clears 38 mm tires, but is set up with somewhat narrower spacing than common nowadays.

Another complicating factor: I'd like to try a carbon rim (don't ask why), so am trying to find a good pad for it...

Have a set of Shimano BR-R550 cantis... they use road brake style pads. Futzing with the spacers on the pads seems like it could work, but is somehow more problematic than other cantis I've set up in the past. Also they came with longish pads, and I've not spotted any carbon rim pads that would fit those longish holders.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:13 PM

I have always wanted a bike with centerpull braze ons. Just to try out. Not to many out there besides going custom, which is beyond me financially.

I do love a good set of cantis though. A set of smooth post shimano cantis like older xt's lx's etc, can be set up real well and feel great in my experience. cantis arent hard to to set up, its just geometry and angles of the cables.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:16 AM

Am considering buying belopsky's Mafacs for braze-on mounting.
To compare with the Paul's-

Paul's have wider stud spacing.
Paul's have individual spring adjust.
CNC vs forged...

Any other considerations? Also considering Compass. But beyond the aesthetics, is there a benefit from these beyond what can be had by upgrading the parts on the Mafac (most of which belopsky seems to have done)?

Last edited by marciero; 12-16-2016 at 06:19 AM.