Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2016, 10:40 AM

For the Walmart haters

And fans alike.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/meet-one-of-...ountain-bikers
Old 12-09-2016, 01:36 PM

Nice article. Looks like a great place to ride. Good to see the Waltons using their influence (and cash?) to develop the area around their home. Kind of ironic to see that the original store was so like all the ones across the country that Walmart helped put out of business.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:35 PM

Not a fan of the company, but it looks like he is doing good. I do love crystal bridges museum in bentonville. Now that is good use of walmart money.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:10 PM

If you guys go to the Bentonville area for a ride, stop by at the Catfish Hole in Fayetteville for a lunch. Great fried catfish, chicken etc. and the meal includes hush puppies, green tomato relish, and cole slaw. Also, two great BBQ places in Fayetteville are Whole Hog BBQ and Sassy's Red House.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:18 PM
Member?

https://www.ialumbra.com/founder/

https://www.ranchocacachilas.com/hik...untain-biking/
Old 12-10-2016, 04:58 AM

Bet he doesn't buy his bikes from Walmart.

SPP
Old 12-10-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
Bet he doesn't buy his bikes from Walmart.

SPP
Hmm if they decided to, they could really change the dynamics of how we buy bike stuff...I'd be all for some Wally World employees helping with trail maintenance!
Old 12-10-2016, 07:38 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Hmm if they decided to, they could really change the dynamics of how we buy bike stuff...I'd be all for some Wally World employees helping with trail maintenance!
I've always said if places like this invested in a bike service section, trained employees for assembly and service, they would put the hurts on more than a few LBS.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:04 AM

Here is what some of the trails look like on a bike.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKGI_b4dLKc&t=239s
Old 12-10-2016, 11:04 PM

I wonder if between going to the food bank and working a 2nd job some of the walmart employees get a chance to ride these trails they have subsidized?
Old 12-11-2016, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
I wonder if between going to the food bank and working a 2nd job some of the walmart employees get a chance to ride these trails they have subsidized?
I think so, if they are disposed to. I have friends that work for WM that spend their free time tooling around in their $20,000 Polaris ATVs.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:08 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
Inconvenient truth-

"Wal-Mart employees earn somewhat more than do similar employees at other retailers and somewhat less than at others."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/georgele.../#193621322180

Not defending Walmart but my mother in law lived in Holly CO, during drought years, when ranchers and farmers had to take a second job to make ends meet...and w/o the Walmart in Lamar, many would hurt much more than they would otherwise.

Don't think the Target CEO is helping cycling in small towns, USA.

"Mr. Cornell, who joined Target in August 2014, received make-whole compensation of more than $14 million that year. For 2015, Mr. Cornell's salary more than doubled to $1.3 million, while his stock awards declined to $13.4 million from $27.4 million, according to a regulatory filing."

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 12-11-2016 at 06:11 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:20 AM
Randomhead

my daughter works at Walmart. She isn't full time, no benefits, but she is a student and they are very flexible for her. Of course, she's working crummy hours, but that's what she wanted and they don't switch them up like the worst places do. And they start people out at above minimal wage. The vaunted small business that walmart put out of business didn't do that, I'm sure. Pretty sure walmart looked at their numbers and realized they were giving the good people enough experience to land their next job that would treat them better and decided to reform their practices.

I don't think walmart would go into the bike business in a serious way because it would be a money loser for them. The places where their model would work, it has already worked with the horrible bikes that they sell now. And to really put the hurt on the LBS, they would have to fix those Denalis. Ha, good luck with that.

I still don't shop there, every time I go I find myself disappointed. Either the prices are too high for what I want or the quality is too low, or the place is a mess. Just don't need that. Target is a lot nicer environment. Of course, I don't go there very often either.

Last edited by unterhausen; 12-11-2016 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:53 AM

Walmarts business plan was to buy in such bulk and keep prices so low as to knock out all competition. Once that was done the prices went up and the quality went down. My wife went and bought a Spaulding branded basketball pump just yesterday for my daughters new basketball. When I went to pump the basketball up the needle immediately broke inside the ball. It ruined the $45 brand new basketball that I bought from a sporting goods store.

The quality of the goods there are very poor and so are the good folks that work there. They have 5 out 20 lanes open with actual humans and 10 automatic checkout areas.

Overall they had a very good business plan, but they are not the philanthropic wonderful people they portray if they can't provide full time hours to their employees at a living wage. Maybe the Waltons could spend more money on their employees and make their manufacturers produce quality goods instead of funding other things that are most assuredly for tax breaks and not the greater good?

Last edited by Hilltopperny; 12-11-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:17 PM

Whats the difference if your families trust has 100 billion or 10 billion, besides the obvious fatter trust account? Maybe the chance that your family legacy would be you were a fair employer?

I guess I benefit as I can buy a 3 pack of Asian made sweat pants for $9.99..