Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2016, 10:33 PM

How Do You Organize Your Gear, Tools and Parts?

Dumb question content, from the organizationally challenged.

Gear...

Summer gear:
Bib shorts, jersey, shoes-closet

Winter gear:
Leg warmers, shoe covers, base layers, under helmet caps, balaclava, gloves, glove liners-a massive pile in a cabinet next to dresser drawers. We've all likely been so aggravated during an early morning, pre-ride search for the one thing that will save your arse on a sub freezing morning ride.

I was thinking of an in-closet, shoe holder pocket thing. What do you do?

Shop stuff...

This is more a matter of clearing out the backyard tool shed, placing my tools on the pegboard, and compartmentalizing my parts bin. But I'd love to get an insider view of your shop.

Many thanks!

Last edited by YesNdeed; 12-08-2016 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:01 PM

Tools in my case are really hard to organize, specially the ones I need to fix the car.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Tools in my case are really hard to organize, specially the ones I need to fix the car.
I guess this why mechanics at all levels invest in tool boxes and cases, which can get elaborate and expensive.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:26 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

For the tools:

Craftsman 5-drawer Ball Bearing Rolling Cabinet Black

Currently $150 + tax on sale.

http://www.searsoutlet.com/d/product...FQ9EfgodrQsD4g

Last edited by Louis; 12-09-2016 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:43 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Most used tools on peg board or organized in tray of work stand

Lesser used tools organized in trays/rack in tool box

Clothing organized by item (jerseys, bins, socks, warmers, etc) and team/logo in a cabinet on shelves

Shoes and helmets on shelf near the door

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:10 PM

What is this "organized" of which you speak? We do not have such things on my planet.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:56 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

So i live in a pretty small studio apartment with 2 bikes (soon to be 3) and keep my small parts in a little organizer, tools and shoes in a small 3 drawer plastic thing as well as spare tubes in a ziplock with baby powder. Finally, kits in the coat closet hanging.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:21 PM
Veni Veloce Vomiti

Up to now, my stuff hasn't been all that well organized.. save that all my 'normal' bike tools have resided in a tool bag that stays in my car. All the other 'stuff' like extra cog sets, chains, cranks, brakes,,you get the picture,, have been stored in various boxes and mostly in my basement. So for Christmas I've asked for several different clear plastic storage boxes with lids (various sizes) and I'm in the process of sorting out the new from the old but usable and putting in the boxes.

Mike in AR
Old 12-10-2016, 10:36 AM

Since posting, I scored a plastic, 3 drawer, rolling bin on thrift for a fiver. Like the blue one pictured above, but in black. It's all coming together! I'm going to condense a tall book shelf of "crap" in a spare bedroom which looks more like a bomb site at the moment. Maybe I'll take before and after pics to encourage my progress.

Last edited by YesNdeed; 12-10-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:25 PM

In the basement- everywhere ...
Old 12-12-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikingshearer View Post
What is this "organized" of which you speak? We do not have such things on my planet.
This!

My problem for tools is moisture in the winter, detached garage with no insulation or heat, leads to rust. I can pull them all and wipe with oil, but need to find something reasonable to help prevent the rust. If anyone has ideas for a toolbox feel free to post.

Last edited by cmbicycles; 12-12-2016 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:31 PM
Randomhead

bike parts and tools mostly in toolchests. I may finally have enough toolboxes, I actually have an empty drawer in one of them. I am going to make a tool chest for my woodworking tools and reassess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
This!

My problem for tools is moisture in the winter, detached garage with no insulation or heat, leads to rust. I can pull them all and wipe with oil, but need to find something reasonable to help prevent the rust. If anyone has ideas for a toolbox feel free to post.
keeping them in a tool chest is a good first step. If I have something really prone to rust, like some water-jet cut mild steel gauges, I put Johnston's paste wax on it. There are toolbox heaters too. I think they are mostly sold as gun safe heaters. All of my tool chest drawers have liners, which probably helps. Fine woodworking magazine did a long-term rust inhibitor test,, and CRC 3-36 came out on top. WD 40 actually did fairly well. T-9 was an also-ran. CRC also makes a wax spray if it's really serious, but that would require cleaning before use.

Last edited by unterhausen; 12-12-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:57 AM

closet organization

I use hangers with the clip things that my wife has a ton of. They're great for keeping all my cold weather gear together - warmers, gloves, hats, etc

The standing cheapo rack is used for helmets, shoes, and essential gear (sunglasses, sunscreen, lip balm, lights - misc stuff) taken on rides.

Once I come in from a ride, anything matchable (gloves, socks, warmers) goes into lingerie bags by the washing machine so its easier to match once its been through the wash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1481630432302465819521.jpg (56.8 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by JonB; 12-13-2016 at 06:01 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
In the basement- everywhere ...
haha +1
Old 12-13-2016, 09:25 AM

To be more serious, I've been organizing a bit around the house.

For example with our Expedit (now it's something else, from IKEA), the shelves are 13"x13"x about 16" deep. I found that a particular 15.5 quart container is about 12.8" wide and about 6" tall. This allows me to stack two in a cubby with very little wasted space. The bins are "sweater bins" so perfect for clothing, depending on how much you have.

We also have 18" wide baker racks (wire shelves, some on wheels), 4 foot long shelves. I found an 18" wide covered tote that is about 2 feet long. Two totes per shelf. If you put the shelves on casters then you can sort of stack them, meaning you can park them like books on a shelf. Uses less room.

Thing is that I haven't appropriated any of the above organization tools for bike stuff but depending on volume those would make quick work of clothing/gear. I do have three un-castered 18" wide baker racks and I plan on getting casters and reducing their effective foot print.

I use hooks screwed into a 2x2 to hang wheels and frames. Also screwed into 2x4s in the garage to hang entire bikes, tandem, my Cotton Picker (it's 55+ lbs), etc.

I need to organize my tools better. I have a tool board from the bike days. Nice piece of plywood, lay out tools on the plywood, drill holes for dowels to hang the tools (get creative with dowel placement for off balance tools, hammers, etc), paint the whole board some shiny enamel (for durability and wiping down), hang tools You can add more dowels as needed or even do a "board re-org".

I have a toolbox just for electrical stuff. Solder, wires, cutters, testers, etc.

I have a bike tool box. That's what I put in the car for races, mostly portable tools.

I've been on an organizational roll. Hopefully I don't lose momentum too quickly.