Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2016, 10:20 PM

Best bike vehicle??? (truck? wagon? Town Car?)

So I may be looking at another car soon and I'd like to keep "bike" in mind. This will actually dual purpose as a daughter's driver and extra car for the family.

If not for the bike, I'd probably buy a Civic/Corolla.

But I have to remove both wheels to get my bike in my Camry's trunk. So maybe a wagon is better?

Outback?

Family Truckster?

Just stick with a pickup truck? (I already have one with fork mounts)

What say ye?
Old 12-08-2016, 11:11 PM

Anything with a hatchback or wagon!

Old 12-09-2016, 05:04 AM

Traded in my hatchback for a Tacoma and bought a cap. The hatchback was good for transporting bikes, but the truck is definitely better. My wife still has her Impreza hatchback which can fit 2 bikes inside comfortably, but my truck can fit 4 or possibly 5 without getting overly creative
I have also recently test drove both the Outback and Forester models from Subaru and they have plenty of room inside to pack a couple of bikes. The Outback has a longer wheelbase and wider stance making it feel more stable and solid going down the road. The Forester had more head room and drove more like the impreza.

Last edited by Hilltopperny; 12-09-2016 at 05:14 AM.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:14 AM

I don't know how big your family is, and I'm pretty sure you don't want to hear this, but our Toyota minivan handles bike hauling duties better than any other vehicle we've had.
And that includes our double and triple tandems.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:28 AM
Lanterne rouge

My company car is a Ford Transit Connect Wagon. Its the 7 passenger. I can lay down the seats and fit several bikes upright. Maybe even with both wheels on but my rack mounts to the fork. I use a Steepgrade rack inside. Works like a champion.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
I don't know how big your family is, and I'm pretty sure you don't want to hear this, but our Toyota minivan handles bike hauling duties better than any other vehicle we've had.
And that includes our double and triple tandems.
LOL!! I know this to be truth!!! Cold........hard......truth!!!

Old 12-09-2016, 07:06 AM

honda fit....

Last edited by dancinkozmo; 12-09-2016 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:07 AM

We have a Honda Pilot that hauls quit a bit inside, but uses more gas than the options you listed.
That said, when I was shopping for cars, before buying the pilot, I -loved- the outback. Test drove it in the winter and they are supreme in snowy/icy conditions. I ended up with the pilot as I wanted a bit more room inside for family trips. But when the time comes for the next car, outback will be very high on the list.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinkozmo View Post
honda fit....
Yup, I like my Fit for bike use. It can fit 3 people and bikes all inside, gets 40mpg on the highway, and is easy to park in a dense city. Reliable, affordable (less cachet means less used-price-inflation than a Corolla or Civic). Oh, and it has way more storage space than it looks - the seats fold down to be flat in plane with the trunk, so you can haul a surprising amount of cargo.

I have a hitch rack for it but have been meaning to take it off, since often enough we just chuck our bikes in the back.

Last edited by nooneline; 12-09-2016 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:56 AM

I currently have a 2004 WRX, I love the car and it's fun as hell, but it's a bit difficult to use for bike life. I have a roof rack which is helpful to carry bikes around, but changing, carrying a bunch of gear, etc... isn't super easy in it. Not to mention having to pay for premium while commuting ~100mi a day and then driving all over to rides/races.

I'm actually looking into buying a Honda Element. Their mpg is a bit less, but it seems to be balanced out by being able to run standard fuel. I like that you can fit an entire bike in the car without disassembly as well, and that I can use it as a place for camping when traveling out to races; saving money by not needing hotels.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loimpact View Post
So I may be looking at another car soon and I'd like to keep "bike" in mind. This will actually dual purpose as a daughter's driver and extra car for the family.

If not for the bike, I'd probably buy a Civic/Corolla.

But I have to remove both wheels to get my bike in my Camry's trunk. So maybe a wagon is better?

Outback?

Family Truckster?

Just stick with a pickup truck? (I already have one with fork mounts)

What say ye?
Full size pickup with a good, secure cap.

I have a Tacoma double-cab shortbed. It's good for cycling, but I wish I had a full bed.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:10 AM
You still here?

We bought our Chrysler Town and Country van because it's so versatile when hauling stuff. The middle and rear seats fold flat into the floor easily making it a snap to configure the interior for various jobs. Example, it can carry 3 bikes, 3 riders and all their gear on the inside. I average about 23~24mpg overall and nearly 30 when cruising the hiway.

The Town and Country is extremely safe. One saved my life two years ago when I was involved in a head-on collision here in Mexico that destroyed both cars. I walked away while the other driver spent 6 weeks in the hospital. The first thing I did when I returned to the States was buy another Town and Country.

The other car:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0005.jpg (50.6 KB, 402 views)
Old 12-09-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinkozmo View Post
honda fit....

.. snip pics...
The Fit is a great car.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:15 AM
n - 1

I loved my Honda Fit, except for the poor crash test rating.

Is a hitch rack an option? Just get a sedan and a hitch. No tearing up the interior, messing with putting seats down. On/off in 10 seconds.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:27 AM
slower than you

My Forester is as small as I go. Anything less is too small for a bike and luggage for long hauls, and I don't carry the bike on top for extended periods due to weather and security. Nice to have a rolling locked compartment for my stuff as I travel that makes a ton of noise if somebody tries to get in and take my stuff.