Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-02-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
[...] and I'd dare say it was FASTER than installing a tube and tire.
That's interesting, because every time I read the step-by-step instructions like this, it doesn't sound faster than installing a clincher.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:44 PM

The majority of tubular users is because we were using them back 25 to 40 years ago and more, back in the day clinchers just sucked till maybe 1990?? when the 1st set of descent clinchers showed up in the market, continental. No idea if there was other brands.

So you have guys that started racing at younger age 30 years ago, racing was exclusively tubulars... as i said before clinchers sucked. So you start using tubulars at 12 y/o then you get used to them, fix them, deal with the problems. etc.. In my team pretty much everybody but me used those continental clinchers I was talking about, I did not like them at all... too plushy and after getting two punctures in a week well you got the idea of what happened, other guys loved them.

The other big detail at least IME is that I retire tubulars because are just old, I get maybe 1 or two punctures a year... this year I have zero. My experience with clinchers is just the oposite... 5 to 7 times a year? That's pretty bad if you do the stats. Maybe I'm lucky? who knows... but if you do the stats of how many punctures the tubular guys have a year (w/o using repair milk inside obviously) versus how many punctures a year clincher users get you might notice a difference in the numbers. Not saying that is scientifically proven ok? but in my case and im sure many guys here will say... yeah... we puncture a lot less.

The other issue, $... 3x50 bucks tubulars, are bad as hell I know... but I never puncture those POS tubulars either till the carcass is showing up the threads, a normal clincher tire is at least 50 bucks (not on sale obviously) and you dont know what is going to happen, IME praying all the time that u wont puncture.

3rd part, some geniuses have the bad idea of putting way too much glue to the rims and to the tubulars, at the time of mounting the two they end up with glue even under the underwear. Then they complain about how messy it is to glue them everywhere over the internet. Is not rocket science but if you use a full tube (even a half is too much) in one rim... well... is clear that the dude haven't figure it out yet. BTW if you mount the tubulars using latex gloves is easier because they wont stick to the glue, discovered that by accident a few years ago. Many guys cant work w/o a manual so they can't figure it out at all.... with tubulars there's no manual because everybody does different things, u see different videos, are similar but not the same...

4th in my particular case... i started using clinchers here in the states because i was not able to find tubulars anywhere, some shops did not know what I was talking about, some mechanics never seen them either. Over the years moved all my wheels to tubulars, yea some wheels are sit for sale here for a while but IMO is not because are tubular wheels, the problem is that is not just go and come up with 1000 bucks to buy them. are 2000 bucks sets of wheels for 1000 bucks (making up numbers ok?) that is an awesome deal but is not just go and come up with that money and the other factor is that if you ask to other tubular users, they dont have junk in their arsenal of wheels. So is not just buy another set just because they need them. Is easier to find junk clincher wheels than find junk tubulars (maybe 1 set at ebay lsw or sometihng like that thread?).
Old 12-10-2016, 08:33 PM

Do people have a strong view across the brands of tubular tape? Tufo versus Carogna versus whatever BikeHubStore sells as CX tape? I just glued up a new set of tires yesterday--as always, not a huge deal, but I will likely try tape for my next set of wheels.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:30 AM

Dude, everytime I see your location is different hehehehe...

Tape is super sweet and clean but what a PITA to get the tubulars off the rim If with regular glue sometimes get tough, with tape is a lot harder... and when I say a lot... it is A LOTTTT
Old 12-11-2016, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Dude, everytime I see your location is different hehehehe...

Tape is super sweet and clean but what a PITA to get the tubulars off the rim If with regular glue sometimes get tough, with tape is a lot harder... and when I say a lot... it is A LOTTTT
I use the Clement branded glue tape. I had a rear blowout a couple of days ago and roadside removal was about the same as a good glue job.

........_o
......_\\ >,
....(_)/(_)
Old 12-11-2016, 12:12 PM

Havent use that tape... my expenrience is with the original tufo... and that thing was a nightmare... one time was more than enough to me

Have to check that tape you are talking about.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:43 PM

In my experience (Velox tape) stripping the tyre off the rim was easy, but then the entire tub rotated on the rim, causing the valve to adopt a striking angle, when I applied the brakes as the tyre was at low pressure - Velox doesn't have a great deal of stick, in my view.

I stopped using tape and went to glue due to the roadside change aspect - I've had to change a tub on the roadside quite a few times now and being able to stretch the new one on, pump and go genuinely IS faster than changing a clincher. Having to carefully tape the rim, then get the tyre on, then pull the tape I don't think would be, it also means carrying tape, which isn't that happy to be strapped under the saddle with an old toe-strap.

I'm on the glue side on this one.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
In my experience (Velox tape) stripping the tyre off the rim was easy, but then the entire tub rotated on the rim, causing the valve to adopt a striking angle, when I applied the brakes as the tyre was at low pressure - Velox doesn't have a great deal of stick, in my view.

I stopped using tape and went to glue due to the roadside change aspect - I've had to change a tub on the roadside quite a few times now and being able to stretch the new one on, pump and go genuinely IS faster than changing a clincher. Having to carefully tape the rim, then get the tyre on, then pull the tape I don't think would be, it also means carrying tape, which isn't that happy to be strapped under the saddle with an old toe-strap.

I'm on the glue side on this one.

Yeah, I have only ever used glue but was going to experiment.