Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-01-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Wasn't referring to you, meant the OP. Apologies if that was the inference.
I did just have to remove a tire that as both glue and taped. now that sucked. I could do it in the field but wouldn't want to. we will see how bad just the tape is.

Ill cross that bridge when i get there... im carrying a pre glued spare for now. this has been a fun experiment for now, and if glue becomes the logical choice don the road, im open to it. For now this got me riding tubulars quick and easy like.

and man, i just got back from a ride on the Eroicas, it was lovely on pavement and gravel.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:10 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Does anyone use Slime / Caffélatex / Stans in their tubulars, or just plain air?
Old 12-01-2016, 06:35 PM

Yes is that easy....

..........but... I dare you to make a review at the time you have to take those tubulars off the rims about if you are going to use it again
Old 12-01-2016, 06:40 PM

The main reason I dont use those milky products is because the time I used it the milky glue got stuck under the valve making a ball, the ball was so noticeable that i was hearing a screech at every revolution of the wheel, had to trash the tubular there was no way to fix it, im not the 1st one having the same problem. My best guess is that it did not run around the tube creating a coat and ran creating this ball mass of glue that wasnt dry at all. My experience is with tufo.

Just put 6 atm of air (like 100 psi) and with a bit of luck too, then you shouldnt have any problem with punctures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Does anyone use Slime / Caffélatex / Stans in their tubulars, or just plain air?
Old 12-01-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Orange Seal, but just a dab. It helps but still carry a bottle in case things go South and I get a puncture.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Orange seal. Only caveat - if you use good tires that have latex tubes, you'll battle the sealant clogging up valve because of the need to constantly pump the tires. I wasn't thinking when I put sealant in my Veloflex Arenberg's. Have had to remove core and tidy up valve. But no flats (just jinxed myself).
Old 12-02-2016, 05:27 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I use Orange Seal..have in butyl and latex tubes(Vittoria Corsa CX)..no issue, no problem.

Carry a preglued spare also, never a bottle of the stuff

I am kinda surprised at what people carry on a normal, on non dirt road, rides. Tools, sealant, all sorts of stuff. I carry a frame pump and a spare tire and a little metal tire iron...and $5..wrapped in a sock, under the saddle.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 12-02-2016 at 05:29 AM.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:29 AM

Ditto this...I carry a used spare with no special gluing applied, just the residue....a pump-either a frame pump or an old Silca mini pump....I'm considering carrying a tire iron as my fingers just aren't 21 years old anymore, especially in the cold....
Old 12-02-2016, 09:43 AM

I used Tufo tape on a cyclocross set once and rolled a tire... Never went back to tape. Having said that I once bought a used tubular wheelset that had tires taped on and it was unbelievably difficult to remove the tire.

So I don't know, perhaps I got a bad batch of tape. But glue works, if aitn broke don't fix it kind of thing.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:50 AM

I hear ya all, and should have figured this would turn into tape vs glue sort of thing. I will most likely try glue next time, mainly to learn an try something new. But i figured for those of us ho are intimidated by the process, this may help get more folks trying tubulars. maybe not...

so yeah, glues great, tape seems to work too. it really was sinfully easy, like easier than a tube and tire kinda easy.

and like i said somewhere in here that obviously didn't get read much:
i HAVE REMOVED A TIRE WITH BOTH TAPE AND GLUE. it sucked, but i did it. and here i live to tell the tale.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:02 AM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post

I use Orange Seal..have in butyl and latex tubes(Vittoria Corsa CX)..no issue, no problem.

Carry a preglued spare also, never a bottle of the stuff

I am kinda surprised at what people carry on a normal, on non dirt road, rides. Tools, sealant, all sorts of stuff. I carry a frame pump and a spare tire and a little metal tire iron...and $5..wrapped in a sock, under the saddle.
Me too. Every once in a while I'll roll up behind a rider and wonder just what the hell they have in the gigundo under seat bag. I've only had to make the "phone call of shame" once in 25,000 miles.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:04 AM

Effetto Mariposa Carogna

After seeing how easy Leonard Zinn installed cx tires using only this stuff, I decided to give it a try. Have a few races with it and no incident yet. I'm pretty rough on the equipment at 180#. YMMV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAmmGDkyWow

Andy in Houston
Old 12-02-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
I hear ya all, and should have figured this would turn into tape vs glue sort of thing. I will most likely try glue next time, mainly to learn an try something new. But i figured for those of us ho are intimidated by the process, this may help get more folks trying tubulars. maybe not...

so yeah, glues great, tape seems to work too. it really was sinfully easy, like easier than a tube and tire kinda easy.

and like i said somewhere in here that obviously didn't get read much:
i HAVE REMOVED A TIRE WITH BOTH TAPE AND GLUE. it sucked, but i did it. and here i live to tell the tale.
But why would anyone try tubulars? I understand for cx race wheels because they provide tangible benefits, but for the other 99% of riding, they're generally a pain, especially if you flat. Which is why I suspect identical rims being sold in the classifieds, but for whether they're tubular/clincher, clinchers sell quickly whereas tubulars stay listed for long periods and go for much lower cost.

Example: stormycloud's enve 3.4s, same model, one set tubular, one set clincher. Clinchers sold in hours, tubulars which took multiple months and several large price drops.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=194630

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=193010
Old 12-02-2016, 10:20 AM

Actually, I find clinchers to be a PITA compared to tubulars....and tubeless just adds even more hassles...
Old 12-02-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzxc View Post
But why would anyone try tubulars? I understand for cx race wheels because they provide tangible benefits, but for the other 99% of riding, they're generally a pain, especially if you flat. Which is why I suspect identical rims being sold in the classifieds, but for whether they're tubular/clincher, clinchers sell quickly whereas tubulars stay listed for long periods and go for much lower cost.

Example: stormycloud's enve 3.4s, same model, one set tubular, one set clincher. Clinchers sold in hours, tubulars which took multiple months and several large price drops.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=194630

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=193010
The simple answer is because i can and haven't yet. I don;t like to make these sweeping judgements based on what other people read and write, i like to try stuff out. So Im trying tubulars with an open mind. they may be nothing great, or I may love them. My first ride on the 30mm Eroicas was heavenly. finally felt that "Magic Carpet" ride folks speak of.

I swing classic flies with a 2 handed rod for steelhead. its not the best or most efficient way to catch the fish, but its the way i prefer to do it. sometimes life is like that.