Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-01-2016, 12:00 PM

Tufo Tape Review: is it really that easy?

I like reviews, real ones from real people.

Here's a review on a product i just used yesterday for the first time!

Tufo Tubular Tape

I have decided to try tubular wheels for a while to see what the fuss is or isn't about. I researched all the methods and decided i would try the Tufo Tape first. the main 2 reasons were Justin Spinelli the racer and Luxe Wheels dude and our very own Eric from Ergott wheels. I figure if Tufo tape was the binder of choice for these 2 cats, its good enough for me.

here's the process i used:
http://sveltecycles.blogspot.com/200...osapimzip.html
I was right!

I have a set of Hyperon Ultras that had no tires glued. Goal was to glue up a set of Challenge Paris Roubaixs. the 27mm offerings. sweetness

I used acetone to clean the tire bed on the rim. i didn't get it totally clean, as many directions ask for a scuffed surface. i figure the old glue will help things stick, but i still removed a lot of old glue and dirty/oils.

I put the wheel in an old truing stand and started the tape at the valve hole. i carefully applied the tape to the wheel as even as possible, making sure to massage the tape down as i applied it. at the end they don;t peel the entire bit, so it reminds you to cut off the excess at the valve hole to finish. i went over the tape a few more times to smooth out any air bubbles and inconsistencies.

The tires came to me pre aged and stretched, thanks Eric.
to mount, i put the valve stem into the valve hole and stretched the tire from the valve along the rim, working it onto the rim as i went. The tape is still not peeled, the backing is on at this point.
these tires are tough. they inspire confidence.

The tires mounted straight pretty much right away, I inflated them to about 30psi to see how they seat. I use my fingers to try and even out the seating, using the casing line as a guide. then i put it in the wheel stand and spin to see its aligned. one more move to align, i roll it hard along the ground, applying as much pressure as i can to help seat the tire even more. then another spin on the wheel stand. looks just right, so now time to deflate and pull the tape.

then check one last time for alignment, not that you are moving that tire now... and inflate to 90spi for the night...

done, and I'd dare say it was FASTER than installing a tube and tire. yup, it was faster. no mess, no glue, no problems. it was seriously too easy.
[IMG]Glued Hyperons by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]

So what did i do? I peeled the Veloflex 25mm tires off the Ambrosios and mounted up some 30mm Challenge Eroicas. Peeling the glued tires is harder than installing the new tires, thats for sure.

Just fitting 30mm tires under the fenders, these are go anywhere wheels!
[IMG]Glued Eroicas by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]

So if you are on the fence about tubular tires, don't be, its much easier than they say it is. whoever they are anyway.

Now the ride is another topic all together, and i mean to investigate that later today!
Old 12-01-2016, 12:58 PM

Nice, thanks for the review. My first set of tubulars are waiting patiently for me to get around to cleaning up the rim bed and mounting tires. I went with Panaracer glue based on feedback I've seen, but nice to see how it goes with the tape, too.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:31 PM

...and then there is the removal......
Old 12-01-2016, 01:40 PM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
...and then there is the removal......
I don't have a problem with it. Almost all the tape comes off the rim and stays on the base tape. Then I can pull most of that off too. Roadside changes are as fast or faster than people with clinchers.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:57 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
I don't have a problem with it. Almost all the tape comes off the rim and stays on the base tape. Then I can pull most of that off too. Roadside changes are as fast or faster than people with clinchers.
So what do you do for on-the-road flats, carry an old tubular with a bit of glue on it?
Old 12-01-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
So . . . if most of the tape comes off with the tire, do you carry a spare roll of tape with you on the road and do a full install when changing a flat?
Old 12-01-2016, 02:07 PM

I've always wanted to try this tape, it seemed like a really quick and easy solution. Too bad I got rid of my tubulars recently
Old 12-01-2016, 02:07 PM

...some of the tape remains with the tire...some remains on the rim...and then what?
Old 12-01-2016, 02:42 PM

Has anyone tried this stuff for cyclocross?

Has anyone seen data on crr? Last time I read the fine print, tubulars only compete with clinchers re. rolling resistance if they're glued on very solidly -- like so much so that they're quite difficult to remove. So far I haven't seen anything about crr with tape...
Old 12-01-2016, 02:45 PM

I started off in the tubular world with Tufo tape.. To me, I just didn't like the feel of tire roll when I cornered descending at speeds up to 50mph. I went to gluing and have yet to sense that feeling. The mending overnight process of glue, settles my nerves.

That being said, tufo tape is extremely easy and fast to use. The gluing process isn't lengthy as some sites would have you believe and it's a nostalgic way of putting tires on. The key to tubular convert is always buying tire pairs when you encounter sets on sale. It's not about how fast you change the tire on the road, it's the downtime to buy new tires and wait for them in the mail when you do actually puncture. That's the crappy part about tubular tires IMHO. They're super pricey and when you do puncture, you have to drop coin for an immediate set and wait for shipping. So stock up and you rid this problem. I currently have 8-10 tires all stretched, ready for the action!
Old 12-01-2016, 02:55 PM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
...some of the tape remains with the tire...some remains on the rim...and then what?
You can pull most of the tape off both and end up with a strip in your hands when you do. Only about 10% or less of the stuff remains on either the tire or rim.

For roadside, I pop an old tire that has some glue on it (from when I glued tires). I keep a tire lever stuffed into my spare tire and use it to help get the tire removal started. Once I work off about 6 inches I can get my fingers under there and pull the tire off as if it were a good glue job. Feels about the same effort as a well done glue job to me.

At home I remove my spare, install new tape and tire. If I can send out tire for repair at Tire Alert I do. They always replace the base tape anyway.

I always run sealant in my tubs so most minor cuts get sealed. Only large punctures cause for tire replacement out on the road.

Last edited by ergott; 12-01-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:55 PM

Please post your thoughts on removal with tape when it comes time for that.

That ease up front you generally pay for on the back-end...
Old 12-01-2016, 03:00 PM

I have had great luck with the tape. I used it on Bontrager rims in combination with Conti Comp 25c tires. I raced several seasons on this setup .

Installation and removal were hassle-free, and if you are really OCD you can use a heat gun to remove the very thin clear layer of tape that sometimes remains on your rim after 99% of it comes off.

All in all I recommend it.

My advice would be to use a tire with a cloth base tape like Conti tires have, and have confidence that the tire bed on the rim gives the tape enough contact (adhesion) surface with the rim and tire. It's very unlikely you'll roll a tire but is something worth noting.

These days I am running Zipp wheels and Veloflex tires. The rim bed of the Zipps seems to me to be more suited in favor of a glue bed rather than tape.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:07 PM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Please post your thoughts on removal with tape when it comes time for that.

That ease up front you generally pay for on the back-end...
Read above. I already did.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Read above. I already did.
Wasn't referring to you, meant the OP. Apologies if that was the inference.