Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Please help me decide which fat tire/wheel combo for my all-purpose touring bike
Compass Rat Trap Pass (26″ x 54 mm) + 26" wheels 8 44.44%
Compass Switchback Hills (650B x 48 mm) + 650b Wheels 6 33.33%
Something else 5 27.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2016, 05:02 PM

Get in line for an Elephant NFE... But that should give you a quite a few more good months with the Trucker...

Last edited by guido; 11-19-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Really?

And replace it with what?
Keep the Trucker, they don't ride as bad as some would imply and put Rat traps on it. You'll be impressed with the change (play with the pressure). If not call me stupid and wrong. Ah hell call me stupid any time. Call me wrong if I missed this one
Old 11-17-2016, 09:52 PM
ZhugeLiang

Thanks pals.

So, I rode the trucker on a bikepacking trip ONCE...yup, so far, I have only ridden on it once and that one time, I was loaded up to the gills, I would imagine at least 50-60 pounds....I like to say 80 pounds but that's probably an over-estimate. But the point is, I carried everything I could possibly imagine carrying on a trip, both front and back panniers, three water bottles, handlebar bag. At that time, it was set up with an upright (mtb) bar so I was seated straight up, a lot of pressure on the butt and facing the wind head on, it was a drag and I was slow. However, when it came down a long steep descent, it was the most stable feeling I have ever felt on a bike, I mean I am a terrible descender, very risk-adverse and fingers feathering the brakes all the time to shave off speed but this time around, I felt so safe on the trucker that I just let it ripped, reaching speed up to 45 miles an hour and I didn't break a sweat, it was awe-inspiring, I have never felt like this on any other bike. As soon as the road level off, and the speed comes back to earth, it was a drag again. I was hoping changing to a road bike handlebar and perhaps swapping the Schwalbe Big Apple with a set of extra supple Compass tires will change the way it rides.

The trucker has a sweet spot in my heart because I like the color, and secondly, it came with S&S coupling for easy traveling which makes me day dream about the trips I will be taking with it and lastly, I got the bike for a song...yet another super PSA deal that I caught wind of here at this forum.

I am leaning towards 650b and switchback hills...
Old 11-18-2016, 07:57 AM

I didn't realize you actually used the Trucker as a pack mule. If that will continue in the future, then maybe it's the right bike.

I was serious when I suggested selling the Trucker and getting something else. Maybe something like a Twin Six Std Rando. Perhaps the confidence inspiring descending in the Trucker comes from the long wheelbase and high trail. The Twin Six has the same trail with Switchback Hills and has a nice low BB. A plus with a disc frame like the Std Rando is that you could also have a 700c wheelset to run 38-42mm tires.

Another reason is that while you can make it work, I wonder about the efficiency of the 559 to 584 rim brake conversion.

There's value in the couplers, but not to me so that's another reason if it were me I'd move it along. I don't need a travel bike, but if I did I think I'd like it to be something that is nimble and fun to ride. Couplers on a Trucker seem to me like a small niche of a small niche. Useful for someone who wants to get their touring rig to South America or Africa for that 3 month unsupported tour. Sounds awesome, but I know that's not in the cards for me for at least another 20 years.

But, yeah, Switchback Hills are awesome. I talking to builder about a frame built around them with fenders. So, it would have room for 27.5x2.35 or 700x42 without fenders.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 11-18-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:02 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Another reason is that while you can make it work, I wonder about the efficiency of the 559 to 584 rim brake conversion....
That would give me pause as well. I've heard others who have done similar conversions with canti/v-brakes and that was the #1 complaint. If this were a Disc Trucker, it'd be a simpler discussion.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:07 AM
ZhugeLiang

Roger roger.

I will leave the chicken as chicken and the duck shall remain as a duck, not wacky conversion or confusion over species/types in my house.

Old 11-19-2016, 05:14 PM
Daniel

If ya go with 650B and find the braking to suffer, try some brake post extensions.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2016, 05:50 PM
ZhugeLiang

Rando pal, thank you, that's what I was thinking of earlier but couldn't recall where I had seen it.

The decision was made to go with 650b. I have purchased a set of Compass switchback hills yesterday at Harris Cyclery Online. I just mounted the Pacenti PL23 wheelset and recalibrated the brakes, they are so spot on, no problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161125_173026289.jpg (74.8 KB, 105 views)
Old 11-25-2016, 06:30 PM
Daniel

Congrats! I bet you'll be riding this bike more (loaded or unloaded) thanks to the sweet, fast cushion of the SBHs!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2016, 12:26 PM
ZhugeLiang

Just got this...

--------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Wei San,

Thank you for ordering from Harris.

I'm afraid our online inventory on the Switchback tires was not accurate. It'll be about a week before we have them in stock.

Please advise if you'd like to wait for these tires. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Best Wishes,

Tom Quinn
Harris Cyclery

--------------------------------------------------------------

And my reply:

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the headsup.

I find that interesting consider that I put in the order a few hours before the black Friday sale kicks in... which means, the inventory count was out of date even BEFORE the feeding frenzy started...if there was ever one.

:-)

Wei San
Old 11-28-2016, 12:31 PM
Daniel

Wei San,

Can ya change the order to Rat Trap Passes? According to my calculations (see linked blog in signature), the RTP has 19.2L of air volume vs the "paltry" 15.5L of the SBH. RTP gets my vote!

Grey in Portland (waiting for my grey RTP bike!),

Daniel
Old 11-28-2016, 12:45 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by 559Rando View Post
Wei San,

Can ya change the order to Rat Trap Passes? According to my calculations (see linked blog in signature), the RTP has 19.2L of air volume vs the "paltry" 15.5L of the SBH. RTP gets my vote!

Grey in Portland (waiting for my grey RTP bike!),

Daniel
Now then you tell me!!?

I am looking for MAXIMUM cushion... backed by scientific data and meticulous calculations.

Thank you Daniel pal!
Old 11-28-2016, 12:50 PM

I told you I preferred the RTP over SBH... That's not scientific enough?
Old 11-28-2016, 01:12 PM
Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Now then you tell me!!?

I am looking for MAXIMUM cushion... backed by scientific data and meticulous calculations.

Thank you Daniel pal!
All of the memes for maximum cushion are blocked by my company's firewall. LOL

I think Hetres are plenty cushy, so I can't wait to see how the SBH are. My commuter's rocking Loop Loop Pass (38mm 650B) and that's pretty good for the 220# of rider + gear that goes between my home and office. There are times I want more cush (and a wider footprint), but I still say either way you go (RTP or SBH), you're good as gold.

The math does prove there's more air volume in the RTP, but that's not necessarily better. It really depends on your terrain, and how much weight this mule pulls.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:16 PM
ZhugeLiang

They are here!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161207_171329514.jpg (51.4 KB, 74 views)