Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-30-2016, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Let's say compared to a 24/28(8 spokes)...8 spokes weigh 2 ounces..28 grams per ounce..so a 24/28 adds about this weight(55 grams).

Is 24/28 or 28/32 more reliable, of course it is. If ya got hubs laying around but this idea to make a wheel, 'just strong enough..maybe'..instead of adding a few spokes to make a wheel 60 grams heavier but way more reliable..sorry, I know I'm a luddite when it comes to wheel design but....
I'm really not looking at the count for weight savings. Just got a set of hubs I'd like to have fun over the winter and build up.

Just surprised the Belgiums come in such low spoke count for such a low profile. Guess I'll go deeper carbon.
Thanks.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:02 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPaul View Post
I'm really not looking at the count for weight savings. Just got a set of hubs I'd like to have fun over the winter and build up.

Just surprised the Belgiums come in such low spoke count for such a low profile. Guess I'll go deeper carbon.
Thanks.
10-4..DT511 a good choice..
Old 10-30-2016, 06:10 AM

Thank you! More question to follow as I get things moving.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:32 AM

I was interested in attempting my first build with the HED Belgium (not the +), but I couldn't find the justification for it being twice the price of the H Plus Son Archetype.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:49 AM
all slow no go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
I was interested in attempting my first build with the HED Belgium (not the +), but I couldn't find the justification for it being twice the price of the H Plus Son Archetype.
That is exactly where I'm at. I would really like to give the Belgiums a go, but the cost differential.

Edit: I'm just going to go with another set of archetypes. I like the profile, a smidge heavier than the Belgium's, but half the price. I can put the difference elsewhere...

Last edited by mwynne; 10-30-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:17 AM

Looking to lace up some Belgium rims and was wondering if the holes come in from an angle and its impact on lacing? They say on the site they are drilled center line but the pictures look like they are on an angle? Wheels are to be 20 spoke radial
thanks
Old 12-05-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I'm about to have some wheels built up with Boyd Altamont Lite rims, which is what Ergott recommended. Has anyone used those rims?
I have a set of his disc Altimont Lite wheels (hub and rim). They are. They are very nice. Great finish. Take a pounding without issue. He is doing a great job with his product and quality control.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:37 AM
ZhugeLiang

The HED Belgium C2 wheel that I built is my everyday go-to wheel. 100% complete confidence in its durability and performance. I managed to find a rim for less than $100. Expensive but over time and for what it does, well worth it. During that same period, I also built a couple of wheels with H Plus Son, A23 and Pacenti. The Belgium comes up top of the class.

Last edited by weisan; 12-05-2016 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:39 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Looking to lace up some Belgium rims and was wondering if the holes come in from an angle and its impact on lacing? They say on the site they are drilled center line but the pictures look like they are on an angle? Wheels are to be 20 spoke radial
thanks
Look at the tire side. If they are offset, the tire side hole will be offset opposite the side the spoke should go to the flange. Cuz they are drilled outside in and if to left flange, tire side hole to right of centerline. If on the center, doesn't matter.

This pic looks like offset..so if hole on right of center, tire side, spoke goes to left flange.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hed_belgium_detail-011.jpg (22.7 KB, 149 views)

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 12-05-2016 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:57 AM

Thank you. I agree holes look offset on tire side but run center on rim side. Would that mean they are angled and I should run spokes as you mentioned, left offset tire side to right side of hub?
Old 12-05-2016, 08:05 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
DT 415 or 465 would be nice, too.
If only they still made them!
Old 12-05-2016, 08:15 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Thank you. I agree holes look offset on tire side but run center on rim side. Would that mean they are angled and I should run spokes as you mentioned, left offset tire side to right side of hub?
Yes, best path to hub for nipple and spokes.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:38 AM

I just had my shop build up a set of wheels with the new Hope road disc hubs & easton R90SL rims - very happy with them. Rims are wide, setup tubeless easy, and the whole build is very stiff. I'm happy with them. Lots of good choices out there right now - being able to run low pressures tubeless (cyclocross) was my #1 priority, and the Eastons looked to be the best of the bunch there.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:20 PM

With the front wheel done, it looks like I now need to reach out for a bit of help as I now have a question in regards to lacing my rear wheel straight pull GS hub.

Starting form the drive side when lacing, is it best to run the first set of spokes from the inside hub holes or the outside holes located on the flange? Thanks
Old 12-10-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
If only they still made them!
ya. Ive had good luck with these at 165 to 170 pounds. Full diclosure I no longer can summon up much power......