Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-28-2016, 08:41 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
Well then why bother asking? But since you did here's my 2 cents.
Velocity that I have owned and wailed on Fatty style .
Deep V's. Super solid.
Synergy. Deep non-fade powder coat blue that match my Trek fuel perfectly.
A23 from Aussie land. Still great and true after bending rim back from a hit hard enough to put 5 holes in the tube.
A23 from Florida. Part of a machine built wheel with 105 hubs and DT butted spokes. Budget price, excellent performance.
So far so good with Velocity for me.
H Plus Son? Sure that they make great rims. In China. Would not be my first choice.
Not trying to beat a dead horse here but all the rims mentioned except DT and Velocity are made in Asia..not that that is a bad thing but more for info..AND a fair amount of lower end DT made in their factory in China.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Not trying to beat a dead horse here but all the rims mentioned except DT and Velocity are made in Asia..not that that is a bad thing but more for info..AND a fair amount of lower end DT made in their factory in China.
It's not necessarily a bad thing, more like a choice. Where do you want your dollar to end up?
Old 10-28-2016, 08:57 AM

Really happy with two sets of Archetypes. To a lesser extent Belgium+.

Archetypes are really stiff and hold up to a lot of abuse. Can't even imagine how strong a 32h WI build would be.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:58 AM

I have 3 sets of wheels built with Pacenti rims, the original version. I love them. I'd suggest them every time.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:03 AM

do any of these mentioned rims have a weight limit?
Old 10-28-2016, 10:27 AM
Bike Guy

the new Pacenti rims look awfully choice
Old 10-28-2016, 11:20 AM

Never seen a DT411 before. They look nice, but if your hubs are 32H, then you're out of luck - website shows them available in 20, 24, and 28 hole only.

I think Hed Belgiums would be overkill with 32H hubs. They're really strong. How about Ambrosio Excellights? Or even Open Pros? DT 415 or 465 would be nice, too.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:40 AM

I recommend HED Belgium Plus especially if you're going to be running 28s and are OK with the price. My favorite wheelset by far is my HED + on Campy set. Lighter, but seemingly just as durable as Archetypes and the added 2mm is noticeable on larger tires (I run Compass 28s and 32s). I also have wheelsets with Archetypes, TB-14s, A23s and regular Belgiums. If Pluses were available in a 36 I'd eventually replace my other wheelsets.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:56 PM

I have the Hed + rims. They are my favorites, and nicer than the standards, and a bit wider. I love the look and, most importantly, the braking surface, which is the best braking surface that I've found. Durable, and really allows you to scrub speed.

The only trick is in mounting the tires since they are tubeless compatible. You have to move the outside bead into the center channel. If you don't do that, it's a PITA. If you do it, it's easy. They have a video on it just in case.

Just my two cents, and I know that others may have tested a greater variety of rims. But these are great, and you rarely hear any complaints from users.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:12 PM

C2s are a pretty fantastic rim. I'd build them up 32 spoke in a heartbeat. The set I have have been flawless for 5 years now.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:41 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Well then why bother asking? But since you did here's my 2 cents.
Velocity that I have owned and wailed on Fatty style .
Deep V's. Super solid.
Synergy. Deep non-fade powder coat blue that match my Trek fuel perfectly.
A23 from Aussie land. Still great and true after bending rim back from a hit hard enough to put 5 holes in the tube.
A23 from Florida. Part of a machine built wheel with 105 hubs and DT butted spokes. Budget price, excellent performance.
So far so good with Velocity for me.
H Plus Son? Sure that they make great rims. In China. Would not be my first choice.
I've built a few rims with Velocity rims over the years. Aeroheads, A23s, Major Toms, Escapes. All have been great. I haven't built a wheel with the US built stuff lately tho

I've built a few pair of H+Son TB14s and they turn out really nice for that vintage-looking build. Similar to the old Omega XL from Campy: slightly wider than an MA40

M
Old 10-28-2016, 06:12 PM

I have both. Hard to beat the H Son Plus for the price. The HED Belgium rim is nice but costs twice as much. Both rims are easy to build up. In my limited experience, Velocities are hit and miss. The Escapes were really good, Fusions not so good, took a lot of fiddling to get right. Archetypes in 32 spokes with DT Revolution and DT Competition on the drive side would be an especially durable wheel at a reasonable weight.
I have always had good experience with Bike hub store.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
It's not necessarily a bad thing, more like a choice. Where do you want your dollar to end up?
i prefer that my euros end up in the pockets of people doing a great job at making nice, original stuff be that Switzerland, Taiwan, Japan, Mexico or even the USA when possible. if they're in PRC so be it although with H+Son i'm not really sure they're really in Mainland China...

for crap stuff i won't give an eurocent whatever country it might come from.

forgot to add the Kinlin XR31 with an offcenter rim in the back as a nice, sensible choice from Taiwan.

Last edited by kittytrail; 10-28-2016 at 06:58 PM. Reason: oops!
Old 10-29-2016, 10:51 AM
all slow no go

So, thinking about the HED Belgiums...

For tires in the ~25-28mm range, road calipers (frame is designed with excellent clearance), I'm thinking the Plus rims might be overkill, and the regular C2 a better bet?
Not so much for tire clearance/shape even, but thinking about extra-wide rims with non-skeleton campy calipers (though I may swap to a newer brake model at some point), any brake performance concerns?
Old 10-29-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwynne View Post
So, thinking about the HED Belgiums...

For tires in the ~25-28mm range, road calipers (frame is designed with excellent clearance), I'm thinking the Plus rims might be overkill, and the regular C2 a better bet?
Not so much for tire clearance/shape even, but thinking about extra-wide rims with non-skeleton campy calipers (though I may swap to a newer brake model at some point), any brake performance concerns?
Depends on the frame/fork, of course.

I've run Belgiums with '25' Michelin PR3's (actually measure at 27-28 mm) on my Peg Duende with an Ouzo Pro fork and Campy Record non-skeleton brakes with good clearance. With salmon Kool Stops, amazing brake performance.

Currently have a set of Belgiums with 28 mm Schwalbe Ones mounted, running on an older LeMond steel frame with Campy Chorus monoplanars, with good clearance as well. Even with vintage pads the braking is very good.