Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-28-2016, 07:33 AM
all slow no go

Rims rims rims

Got some 32h WI hubs to get laced up for the new bike. Top choices are currently H+Son Archetypes, Easton R 90 SL, DT RR411.

Anything else I should seriously consider? Planning to run 28mm tires of some fashion - oodles of room in this frame!
Old 10-28-2016, 07:34 AM
That guy..

HED Belgium

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2016, 07:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwynne View Post
Got some 32h WI hubs to get laced up for the new bike. Top choices are currently H+Son Archetypes, Easton R 90 SL, DT RR411.

Anything else I should seriously consider? Planning to run 28mm tires of some fashion - oodles of room in this frame!
Archetypes way beefier than the DT411(420 grams). Not sure they are available yet in the US either..

Other choices..in no particular order
Velocity A23(rear OC)
DT440(rear OC)
Pacenti Evolve(rear OC)

My favorites in order.

DT440
H+Son
A23

Altho very close when seeing resulting wheelset built.

No builds yet with Pacenti
Not sure what you get with the increased $ of HED(altho nice rims) but pricey.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:52 AM
all slow no go

For some reason, and I genuinely have NO IDEA WHY, I have a poor perception of Velocity rims. I've never used them, never known anyone personally who has, so I've got no idea where that perception comes from.

I've got a set of 32h Archtype wheels on another bike and I quite like them, I'd peg them as pretty good value for money, so they're at the top of my list so far.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:58 AM

I'm quite happy w the us made a23 tubeless friendly rim. I did a value build w dt350 hubs and they have proven to be excellent setup tubeless. My wheel builder was apprehensive about it being a Belgium advocate and bc he knows how I ride but was surprised and impressed by how they built up.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:03 AM

To answer your velocity rims question:
http://nomusic.net/new-rims/
Old 10-28-2016, 08:04 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
For some reason, and I genuinely have NO IDEA WHY, I have a poor perception of Velocity rims. I've never used them, never known anyone personally who has, so I've got no idea where that perception comes from.

I've got a set of 32h Archtype wheels on another bike and I quite like them, I'd peg them as pretty good value for money, so they're at the top of my list so far.
When Velocity moved production to Florida from Australia in 2012..first offerings had some QC issues, no doubt but since about 2013 and to now, their rims, and I have built many, are very good quality, straight, round outta the box and make for great wheels.

And for right above, one guys opinion, and he didn't build the wheels..here's mine..I have build dozens(hundreds?) of wheels with Velocity rims..and one thing for sure, if the customer isn't happy, you will hear about it.
I have issues with maybe 3-4 rims from Velocity..Lots more with easton and stans..and mavic(openrpo specifically)...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 10-28-2016 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:07 AM

HED

yes they are a bit more costly but they are way more durable than that of Velocity or DT.

I feel sort of the same way about velocity rims, I WANT to like them but Ive seen so many come around with cracks and such. I have several sets of major tom tubulars which seem to dent pretty easily.

Pacenti do well, dont like the decals being stickers as they get in the way of the fine truing. Only have seen a few come back with problems
Old 10-28-2016, 08:09 AM
all slow no go

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJosiahK View Post
HED

yes they are a bit more costly but they are way more durable than that of Velocity or DT.

I feel sort of the same way about velocity rims, I WANT to like them but Ive seen so many come around with cracks and such. I have several sets of major tom tubulars which seem to dent pretty easily.

Pacenti do well, dont like the decals being stickers as they get in the way of the fine truing. Only have seen a few come back with problems
If I do consider HED, C2 vs Plus? Dang that plus is a wide rim, gotta wonder if that would be ridiculous and impractical...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2016, 08:16 AM

I have a set of Belgium + sitting in the shop now waiting on parts to show up. I almost exclusively ride gravel so the volume is welcome for me but if your not into tubeless then the standard 23mm is great. I had a set of Ardennes c2 I ran for a couple years great wheels.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:19 AM

I've got a rear wheel with an Easton R90 SL in 32H and a Record hub. It's a very high quality rim, a little taller and wider than a Pacenti SL23 V1 which is what I have on the front. I'd like to have a complete wheelset with them but not all my bikes would clear them with a 25mm tire.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:20 AM
all slow no go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwabra View Post
I have a set of Belgium + sitting in the shop now waiting on parts to show up. I almost exclusively ride gravel so the volume is welcome for me but if your not into tubeless then the standard 23mm is great. I had a set of Ardennes c2 I ran for a couple years great wheels.
Aye, this is for the pavement bike, so probably not going to bother with tubeless (though I have in the past)

Old 10-28-2016, 08:20 AM

Has anyone built up the Flo 30 rims?
Old 10-28-2016, 08:21 AM
all slow no go

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I've got a rear wheel with an Easton R90 SL in 32H and a Record hub. It's a very high quality rim, a little taller and wider than a Pacenti SL23 V1 which is what I have on the front. I'd like to have a complete wheelset with them but not all my bikes would clear them with a 25mm tire.
They look damn good, and would clear fine on this frame I think, built with wide-ish rims and rubber in mind.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:

Well then why bother asking? But since you did here's my 2 cents.
Velocity that I have owned and wailed on Fatty style .
Deep V's. Super solid.
Synergy. Deep non-fade powder coat blue that match my Trek fuel perfectly.
A23 from Aussie land. Still great and true after bending rim back from a hit hard enough to put 5 holes in the tube.
A23 from Florida. Part of a machine built wheel with 105 hubs and DT butted spokes. Budget price, excellent performance.
So far so good with Velocity for me.
H Plus Son? Sure that they make great rims. In China. Would not be my first choice.