Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-07-2016, 03:10 PM

Cantilevers vs. Center Pulls?

I'm in the process of buying a rando/audax frame and I thought I was set on CP brakes. I was planning on installing braze-on posts for either Paul Racers or maye Dia Compe Gran Compe 610 or Mafacs (I know the Pauls have a unique width and height compared to other CPs, so I'm probably going to go with DCs or old Mafacs.)

Anyhow, the frame I'm looking at comes with cantilever posts, and I would have to ask the builder to move them to accommodate CP posts. That got me to thinking if I should just go with cantis over my original plans of CPs.

I'm hoping some of you with experience with cantis vs CPs can weigh in with your thoughts. I know the quality of cantis can vary greatly- I'd get one of the better ones.

TIA!
Old 09-07-2016, 03:13 PM
Imshi Cycles

if you have canti posts and your desired wheel/tire/fender combo can be accommodated by paul mini motos, get them.

that said, there is a reason why frames are built for ONLY paul brakes...because they are the best rim brakes currently on the market, across the board...mini motos and racers run this town.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:30 PM

I reaalllly like minimotos and nearly every mini v-brake I've ever tried. The only issue is tire clearance like mentioned. It'll be a no-go for 42's + fenders.

Personally I highly avoid cantilevers, unless maybe run with mountain style levers (good leverage), and would pay [any] extra to get the Paul Racers used if it's a fat tire + fender kind of rig.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post
if you have canti posts and your desired wheel/tire/fender combo can be accommodated by paul mini motos, get them.

that said, there is a reason why frames are built for ONLY paul brakes...because they are the best rim brakes currently on the market, across the board...mini motos and racers run this town.
So between the two, Racers or Mini-Motos, is one better than the other? Should I keep the standard canti posts over the Racer's post placement? It seems to me that if the performance is equal, it's better to go with the standard canti posts.

Thanks mann!
Old 09-07-2016, 03:42 PM

canti v centerpull v miniv
...they all have merits and flaws.

if you are planning on using a front rack, you'll have to figure out if the brakes fit well with the rack.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 09-07-2016 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMiller View Post
I reaalllly like minimotos and nearly every mini v-brake I've ever tried. The only issue is tire clearance like mentioned. It'll be a no-go for 42's + fenders.

Personally I highly avoid cantilevers, unless maybe run with mountain style levers (good leverage), and would pay [any] extra to get the Paul Racers used if it's a fat tire + fender kind of rig.
I don't plan on really wide tires. I want the ability to run 32mm tires with fenders, but I'll likley run 28s with fenders the majority of the time. This shouldn't be a problem with any of the brakes in question, should it?

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2016, 03:59 PM

You'll be fine either way. I'd go with cantilever posts and run minimotos for that build if you like grabby offroad worthy brakes, or brazed on paul racer mediums for more modulation.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:05 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nags&Ducs View Post
I don't plan on really wide tires. I want the ability to run 32mm tires with fenders, but I'll likley run 28s with fenders the majority of the time. This shouldn't be a problem with any of the brakes in question, should it?

Thanks!
youll be fine with mini motos and you wont need to modify the frame at all. if you hate em, then start to think about modifications for racers. the biggest difference is the hangers required for racers and the added modulation they offer as a result of a less-direct actuation mechanism.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:09 PM

Get the mini motos. Never look back.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:17 PM

paul racers, both the regular and medium reach, are excellent brakes. If the frame already has canti posts, just go with canti brakes or minimotos. minimotos stop great and dont require nice stops on the frame and steerer tube, they also reduce front fork judder.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:57 PM

Are not Cantilever and Center Pull the same thing?
Old 09-08-2016, 01:00 PM

Old 09-08-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Are not Cantilever and Center Pull the same thing?
no...

Centerpull

Cantilever

Old 09-08-2016, 01:09 PM

I like Mafac centerpulls. They work exceptionally well with Ergopower/other modern levers. The brake pads should be changed with fresh new ones from Koolstop. Since both compass and Grand Bois have introduced brakes that are essentially copies of old Mafac designs, all of the small hardware bits are also available should they be needed. While purely a matter of taste, I also think that Mafacs are the most attractive option when the job at hand is to clear a larger tire and fenders...
Old 09-08-2016, 03:09 PM

Oh right ok I see.