Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Which of these many options fit a hand well when gripped (small hand)? Some look more designed for style than ergo. I bought a Milwaukee utility knife a couple years back for the carpentry tool bucket because I wanted a folder not a retractable, and it is strong and rigid but not designed to fit well in your hand.

I have a very mediocre Puma 460 - its handle is 3-3/4" long, which feels like the minimum for me to get a good grip. Blade is 2-3/4" but that actually feels less important. I'd like to replace it with a knife that is much sharper and holds an edge but I get paralyzed with so many options, and I do want something that someone thought about how it fits when you grip it.

Opinions?

Thanks
Go to a knife shop with LOTS of samples and pick one that feels good for your intended use. I have a Cold Steel Tanto folder that sounds like it would work great for you. It's a bit heavy for a "pocket" knife but it is VERY sturdy and sharp plus it has a rubber-like non-slip grip.

Last edited by Ken Robb; 08-30-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:44 PM

1. ZT 0300
2. Kershaw skyline (carried the most)
3. Small Blindhorse fixed blade
4. ZT 0350
Old 08-31-2015, 02:43 AM
In Velo Veritas

Basically an older version of this. Holds a good edge; unf---ed many a fouled line.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Over the years I have found that from an ergonomic standpoint in production knives, Spyderco has always felt very good in my hand. That applies across most of their models that I have handled. I've tried many others but I always gravitated back to Spyderco. By comparison, Benchmade makes really nice knives as well, but I never held one in my hand that felt good to me....that is until recently, and initially I was skeptical until I forced myself to use it as an EDC for a while. I have come to like it a lot and have kept it as my EDC for the time being. You just have to try something out and see how it suits you. If you have a local cutlery store, go handle a few and see what speaks to you.

William
Spyderco is my favorite on a backpacking trip. Originally the only reason I got it was because it had a carbon fiber handle.

I also like my swiss army knives. the swisschamp is great to have around the house for quick do about everything tasks. and the tiny one with the belt clip is how I carry my benjamins.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Over the years I have found that from an ergonomic standpoint in production knives, Spyderco has always felt very good in my hand. That applies across most of their models that I have handled. I've tried many others but I always gravitated back to Spyderco. By comparison, Benchmade makes really nice knives as well, but I never held one in my hand that felt good to me....that is until recently, and initially I was skeptical until I forced myself to use it as an EDC for a while. I have come to like it a lot and have kept it as my EDC for the time being. You just have to try something out and see how it suits you. If you have a local cutlery store, go handle a few and see what speaks to you.

William
Doing carpentry for over 30 years I've carried either a Buck 110 or Old Timer in a leather case strapped to my belt as a work related tool. For everyday carry, including cycling I like a pocket knife with a clip. I recently purchased a Spyderco Tenacious, a Chinese made Spyderco to keep the price lower but made to Spyderco spec. One of the best ergo grip knife I've ever owned. I like the practical applications of carrying a knife since I'm a hands on DIY'er and also as a last resort for self defense. As William is well aware you don't have to open the knife blade to use it as a self defense tool,much like a kubotan. The Spyderco fits the hand well and as a cutting tool it comes from the factory razor sharp.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:47 AM

among Swiss army knives, get this one:
http://www.couteauxwenger.com/PBSCPr...?ItmID=9454960
only the essentials:
uncork a bottle, open a beer, cut the salume truffato. The bread you break with your hands.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:55 AM

Another vote for the Opinel No. 6.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:42 AM

Little guys

I carry a variety of very small folders. CRKT Shrimp, Cold Steel mini recon, a gerber multi tool and the not pictured spyderco ladybug. All very light, easy to carry and do what I need done - cutting tape, cord, straps, etc.

Last edited by Clydesdale; 02-20-2017 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
I like the looks of this Kershaw...anyone have this in the green?

I don't have the above Kershaw Scallion in green, but I do have a nice Ken Onion collection.
Left to right
Shallot
Leek
Scallion
Chive
The Leek is the most popular but the extreme point is easliy damaged. The Scallion is my favorite out of the series.

Actually, I'm in construction and find Leatherman tools more useful. I have several different Leatherman tool both large and small. I carry a discontinued Kick daily or sometimes a Wave. I also use the small keychain models like the Micra or Squirt. EDC knives are cool but useless without a bottle opener.

I have been looking at a Buck Apex, superlight with bottle opener. Available in carbon, and orange or purple anodizing. This would be nice to carry on your bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0246.jpg (124.3 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg BU818CFS.jpg (14.2 KB, 261 views)
Old 08-31-2015, 11:39 PM

Used to have a Kershaw. Well I still do but it's broken

I now have a Case XX that I picked up from a Teen Challenge thrift store for a buck! According to the brand's website it was made between 1940 and 1964. Sharp as hell.
http://www.wrcase.com/case_college/tang_stamps/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _20150831_213744.jpg (21.2 KB, 234 views)

www.deliberatelydomestic.com
Old 08-31-2015, 11:55 PM
Old and Tired

As a lefty, liner locks always annoyed me. I hmmed and hawed but eventually bought an Axis knife. A Ritter mini-Mk1:

(which, yes, is basically a mini Griptillian). Exceptionally comfortable knife in the hand.

Sadly, recently lost it. Sigh. Time to save my pennies.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:23 AM
n - 1

I've had my SOG keychain knife for 20 yrs now. Bought it from "Gorilla and Sons" catalogue back then. It has been a good knife, which I take for granted until I accidentally misplace it at times. Has cut sticks, mail, fruit, boxes, my finger, packaging, etc. Can't do without it.

I've become fixated on fixed blade knives as of late. I made my own knife about 2 yrs ago from an 1/8" O2 steel bar I ordered on line. Like riding my fixed gear bike, I love the simplicity of it. So I've placed an order for a SOG Instinct mini. Cheap on Amazon. Probably won't replace my keychain knife, but might still try carrying it around for a bit. Will definitely accompany me on bike packing and backpacking trips.

Last edited by p nut; 09-01-2015 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:55 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
I've had my SOG keychain knife for 20 yrs now. Bought it from "Gorilla and Sons" catalogue back then. It has been a good knife, which I take for granted until I accidentally misplace it at times. Has cut sticks, mail, fruit, boxes, my finger, packaging, etc. Can't do without it.

I've become fixated on fixed blade knives as of late. I made my own knife about 2 yrs ago from an 1/8" O2 steel bar I ordered on line. Like riding my fixed gear bike, I love the simplicity of it. So I've placed an order for a SOG Instinct mini. Cheap on Amazon. Probably won't replace my keychain knife, but might still try carrying it around for a bit. Will definitely accompany me on bike packing and backpacking trips.

So...'key chain', so in your pocket? How do ya do that w/o sticking yourself?
Old 09-01-2015, 08:34 AM

The sheath is on the keychain.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:46 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
So...'key chain', so in your pocket? How do ya do that w/o sticking yourself?
The knife pictured comes with a sheath, as Eric mentioned above. But it probably won't be attached to my keychain, though. Just pocket carry (in a sheath )

Here is my current keychain knife: