Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2015, 09:51 AM

Protech, Cuda Maxx 5.5 D2 Camillus

The CUDA Maxx is arguably the best mega folder out there with a 5.5" long blade and Ti frame and lock. I like the the D2 steel, keeps a very sharp edge.

The two Protech knives are auto.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10770...71025875211553
Old 08-28-2015, 10:02 AM
Administrator

always carry a small multi purpose knife. i've tried a bunch, but keep coming back to this one. i use it for something almost every day. i estimate this one has opened north of 10,000 beer bottles...

Old 08-28-2015, 07:42 PM

OT: Show me your pocket knives!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UyCzZH_hFlA
Old 08-28-2015, 07:54 PM

I have been hearing about this knife, want to try:

But for real I carry an Opinel carbon steel.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
I'm not a fan of liner locks. The Axis lock on for example, the Benchmade Sibert Adamas is probably the most solid folder lock I have ever felt. When it is open it feels like a fixed blade. Not even the slightest wiggle or looseness. I also look for blades that have a good thumb ramp and a pronounced quillion/guard/subhilt. I want no chance of the blade slipping up through the hand. In the case of my 13 from Lucky 13 Knives, a finger hole that locks the blade into your hand for exact control and no slipping.

As an aside, I designed a large custom with similar features that is currently being made.

Early draft below...

This started as an idea for a sort of big blade, bowie hybrid fighter. This design incorporates cues from Chris Petersonç—´ 13 style blades working in the finger hole and curved guard for a more solid grip and better blade alignment with the radius plus some details found on traditional Filipino fighting blades. I wanted a deep finger choil with built in guard, thumb ramp, hawks bill/spur on the front of the butt end of the handle to give a solid grip and a sharp striking projection, plus another spur for punyo striking/hooking....but it wont fit in your pocket.

William
Is that a tactical tomahawk I see in the background? They have a deep military history.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:52 PM
Administrator

I like the looks of this Kershaw...anyone have this in the green?

Old 08-28-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
"pocket knife"???

I have an opinel too

Old 08-29-2015, 03:41 PM

jokes. i was at a cottage rental all week and failed to bring my 'country knife', so i started learning (obsessing) about knives in all my late night alone time. seems we're on the same wavelength, rugby!

i've been looking at fixed blades for playing in the woods, but i came across a ton of folders as well. i had spydercos for the longest time, usually an endura, and then i got a benchmade framelock (i think the blade is an osborne) about a decade ago. it's been in my pocket ever since. the steel is pretty great, VG-10 i think, holds a great edge and stands up against abuse and rust. i use the spyderco sharpmaker system for most of my basic sharpening, and it's great if you find getting the right angle tricky. my other folders are a butterfly knife from the philippines, and a couple of cold steel tantos. my large knife is a cold steel trailmaster and it's amazing. i also have a bolo from the philippines that is less than straight but definitely sharp and very useful. custom leather sheaths on all of the big ones. i'm hoping to learn kydex making for my new fixed blade.

anyway, benchmade makes great knives and collaborations with wicked crafters. hard to go wrong. walmart and amazon in the states have a MASSIVE selection of very inexpensive knives. give'r!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1564.JPG (126.5 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1565.JPG (128.0 KB, 327 views)
Old 08-29-2015, 04:37 PM
not banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Yes it is, I have a couple myself. I love working with tomahawks.
100% true story: My daughter is soon-to-be 15 and is 5'10" and, really, drop dead gorgeous. Everyone kept saying get a shotgun - so predictable. So I got a tomahawk. I mean, who ever see a tomahawk?

Anyway, she briefly had a boyfriend (her first) and I asked if she wanted to have him ask me for permission - she said yes. To the kids credit, he did ask, and he had a whole speech.

Anyway, I told him, it's not my rules, it's my daughter rules and if he breaks them (I pulled the tomahawk out from under my chair) I told him I would cut off his hands and give him a shirt that said "World's Worst Drummer."

I mean a hatchet, people see that, an Axe any chucklehead can get, a knife, come on, a tomahawk - that's something special.

Fuzz asked for photos: this is a photo that has never, ever been taking in the history of Man. Rapha, Campy EPS, Merckx and a tomahawk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6200.JPG (93.8 KB, 318 views)

Last edited by velomonkey; 08-29-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:00 PM

for about the last 15 years or so I have carried an Al-Mar SLB.

Seems to work very well for me.

Last edited by jr59; 07-16-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:35 PM
cnighbor2

Brian Baylis\ is building custom knifes

Brian Baylis is building custom knifes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010001_1.jpg (53.5 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg P1010003_1.jpg (57.5 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg P1010004_1.jpg (63.3 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg P1010005_1.jpg (53.4 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg P1010006_1.jpg (45.7 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg P1010007_1.jpg (55.4 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg P1010008_1.jpg (52.5 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg P1010009_1.jpg (52.3 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg P1010010_1.jpg (44.1 KB, 308 views)
Old 08-30-2015, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeheeb View Post
I have been hearing about this knife, want to try:

But for real I carry an Opinel carbon steel.
Rival 22 Hydraulic on the way - should be here soon - attached to a Salsa Warbird.

Opinel is a great knife - still have one from the 70s. I use them often around the house and a great camping knife.

My pocket knife is a Victorinox Executive - small and lightweight. With it, I can fix about anything. The orange peeler doubles as a straight blade screwdriver and the (nail) file doubles as a Philips screwdriver. Of course it has a couple of blades, a scissors, toothbpick and tweezers. So a great knife to carry while cycling to make minor adjustments, pull thorns out of tires, etc.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:23 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpoke View Post
My pocket knife is a Victorinox Executive - small and lightweight. With it, I can fix about anything. The orange peeler doubles as a straight blade screwdriver and the (nail) file doubles as a Philips screwdriver. Of course it has a couple of blades, a scissors, toothbpick and tweezers. So a great knife to carry while cycling to make minor adjustments, pull thorns out of tires, etc.
I'm surprised that knife is so versatile - a true executive would delegate lots of those tasks to others:

Old 08-30-2015, 08:13 AM

Question for knife enthusiasts

Which of these many options fit a hand well when gripped (small hand)? Some look more designed for style than ergo. I bought a Milwaukee utility knife a couple years back for the carpentry tool bucket because I wanted a folder not a retractable, and it is strong and rigid but not designed to fit well in your hand.

I have a very mediocre Puma 460 - its handle is 3-3/4" long, which feels like the minimum for me to get a good grip. Blade is 2-3/4" but that actually feels less important. I'd like to replace it with a knife that is much sharper and holds an edge but I get paralyzed with so many options, and I do want something that someone thought about how it fits when you grip it.

Opinions?

Thanks
Old 08-30-2015, 08:45 AM

I've carried the same knife with me for >10 years at least, so I don't exactly go through the process of deciding which knife to buy all that often, but when I do, I always drink Dos Equis - wait, wrong commercial.....
I would take the analysis out of it and buy with your heart. Which one speaks to you?