Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2014, 07:07 AM

Possible return to running

This is a timely thread as I grapple with this winter's workout schedule. I quit running due to back and hamstring issues 15 years ago. I'm thinking of running on a treadmill this winter using the schedule from the original link.

Has anyone returned to running after quitting due to injuries and what happened? Also, how many of you plan on running outside versus on a treadmill and what do you think?

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:48 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie7 View Post
Has anyone returned to running after quitting due to injuries and what happened? Also, how many of you plan on running outside versus on a treadmill and what do you think?

Thanks.
You couldn't pay me to run on a hamster wheel. Unless I've got health issues or somehow have no choice than run on a treadmill, I'm running outside.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:02 AM
#bottlestorage

Quote:
This is a timely thread as I grapple with this winter's workout schedule. I quit running due to back and hamstring issues 15 years ago. I'm thinking of running on a treadmill this winter using the schedule from the original link.

Thanks.
I don't run inside for more than just a warm up (less than a mile) to do other fitness. Just too damn boring.

For indoor fitness, I jump rope. My favorite ropes are made by http://jumpnrope.com/ and are really worth it.

Incidentally, I have had the opposite experience in that running actually helps my back pain. I had my gait analyzed and realized that it was too long, so shortening it up and changing which part of my foot contacted the ground (mid foot) actually helped a lot. When I strode too long, my heal hit, then my leg (which was more locked out) transfered the hit up to my hips and back. In essence, i was running forward, while also braking a little each time...not efficient and also caused lots of mini impacts the whole run. When I shortened my stride and started thinking of my contact more like a foot hitting the ground to propel a skateboard, that visualization helped me.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:02 AM

shoes

Just getting back into it myself. A running guru friend recommended the Saucony Ride6 shoes. I'm pretty neutral so they work well and I got them online for $65. Ran marathons years ago with Nike's but those are way to much nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris View Post
Yeah I'm bugged running shows have gone up so much...but then what hasn't. Well, musician's salaries..lol but I digress.

I used to think $100 was a lotta dough for shoes, now just a basic good shoe like the Brooks Dyad (that I wear), Adrenaline , New Balance 840, etc are right around $120.

You can get good deals on closeouts through Holabird but I'm a 4E in Brooks and 2E in New Balance. Most of the time most places don't carry those kind of widths, especially in a neutral shoe.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:14 AM

Redir,

You've been getting some good advice here, so I'll just chime in my $0.02. I'm now 41, started cycling in high school but then switched into mostly running until the last five years or so, when cycling has started to climb back into precedence.

The most important thing about switching into running or adding running into a cycling program is to take it slowly. Most cyclists who start to run look at the introductory running programs think they're too easy and go for more time and faster speeds -- which, given their good aerobic condition and basic leg strength will work for a few weeks or even a month or two before they get injured because they don't have the supporting muscle/tendon system specific to running.

Practically speaking, there's not too much difference between any of the beginning running plans. Just pick one and stick to it. Keep cycling as your primary fitness tool for a couple of months until your tendons and joints get up to speed. Start now and you should be good to go by February or so...

Personally, I like mixing the two sports. Keep up the running at least one or two days a week over the next year and then by next fall, start ramping up in mid-September or so (most places have a race/run near Thanksgiving; that can be a good target to aim towards) and you'll be good to go over the next winter.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:05 PM

I just ran into this article today, very apropos to the thread, and it supports what I believe about the importance of running if you are able to run. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/1...pgtype=article Another anecdotal data point is my own father who has been riding regularly for at least 30 years. Now in his early 80s, he can still knock out a 50+ mile ride in mid-season without too much effort. However, walking just a gentle half mile is painful for him, he's losing that ability to walk.

Sure, I love to ride, much more than running. But if throwing in a regular run to my routine will help me keep me able to be stay on my feet in the coming decades, it's a no-brainer. The wildest most beautiful places in the world are still not accessible by bicycle, and my bucket list is long...

(BTW, accompanying Dad at a 13mph pace for 4+hours is a lesson in which saddles work for me... my fave Arione racing seat that feels fine all day at my own faster pace HURTS with no pressure on the pedals for just a very slow couple of hours, but I digress)
Old 12-04-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:

Thanks.
Started running after a pretty bad cycling injury. Didn't really stretch often and i didn't pay attention to my form. As a result, I had really bad ITB issues that pretty much made me quit running before I really got into it. After some time, I started stretching (especially foamrolling) and added strengthening to my workouts. That really made a difference for me and since then, I've ran/raced enough to qualify for my first marathon (NYC) next year.

As for running on a treadmill vs. outside, for me the treadmill helped me with maintaining a certain speed/pace. I still prefer running outside, but that's personal preference.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:50 PM

For those of you wondering about old injuries affecting your cycling or running abilities, consider going to the gym to do some strength training.

For cyclists who are getting back to running, it's especially important to look after your legs and back. All the little muscles that hold the body steady when running go lazy after long periods of cycling. Pay extra attention to the muscles holding up your hips, knees and ankles.

Squats, and dead lifts, done with careful attention to proper form and enough weight for 15 - 20 reps x 3 sets, are very useful to help you get back to running without injuring yourself. The gym work will help prevent injuries to joints and ligaments that can hobble you for long periods.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:17 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
I ran once but I hid behind a tree until the danger passed.

Ok not really. I don't much but I have. A couple of weeks ago I was in Seattle working and I had a pass to a local Gym. I ran on a treadmill for 1/2 hour and I had that runners high. My calfs were sore for a week.
Saw this yesterday-funny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0_0_non_runner_sticker-p217815106493020039bahz5_400.jpg (18.1 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg beer_run_oval_sticker.jpg (12.9 KB, 161 views)
Old 12-05-2014, 07:31 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris View Post
Yeah I'm bugged running shows have gone up so much...but then what hasn't. Well, musician's salaries..lol but I digress.

I used to think $100 was a lotta dough for shoes, now just a basic good shoe like the Brooks Dyad (that I wear), Adrenaline , New Balance 840, etc are right around $120.
When I wore a younger man's clothes, and a runner, late 70s, early 80s, I remember the first $100 shoe. NewBalance 990..all those who I ran with swooned..

For now, 30 years later, $115-$120..not bad I'd say.

Ran with Brooks Vantage, Vantage Supreme, Asics.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:23 PM

Gosh I can't believe it's been two years. Just digging this old thread up to perhaps inspire anyone else who gets lazy this time of year or doesn't want to ride in the cold.

Since I started this thread I've been actively running at least once a week in the warm months to maintain it till it gets cold. Now I'm starting to ramp it up again from one 5k per week to about 15-20k.

Running has been very good to me. It's definitely helped keep the weight down. To start I used the couch to 5k app and it really worked the way it was designed, to bring you on slowly and safely and get you on your way.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:27 PM
Administrator

yup, back to running here too.

planning on doing a 1/2 marathon in the spring.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:51 PM

Food for thought on the relationship between running and injuries.

Interesting study that shows that endurance running actually decreases levels of inflammation in the knee joints of otherwise healthy individuals.

All I know is that I usually hurt after running. I must be doing it wrong.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:58 PM

On the days that I run I take a Naproxen. Otherwise I feel your pain
Old 12-09-2016, 01:58 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
JUST started running again... have only done one. First run in at least 6 months, probably more like 8, maybe even more? And I haven't run seriously for probably 3 years anyway. I tried to get back into it about a year ago, but just hit pain walls. All the small muscles in my lower leg just screamed at me.. atrophied from cycling exclusively, I guess. I would run, hurt, and be incapable of running again for two weeks.

This time, I am just going to try to take it even slower than before. I did 3 miles at a 10:00 pace, which might very well be the slowest 3 miles I've ever run in my life. No pain during the run, miraculously, but the legs did get tight during the last mile. Later that night, however.... yea, the delayed-onset-muscle-soreness didn't delay long. I was crippled for three whole days.

But you know what's weird? Despite not being able to walk right at all, for the pain, I still rode almost as strong as before. Great demonstration of just how different the muscle groups are between the two activities.
Still struggling with the same problems, and still haven't run much. I started trying again a couple weeks ago... just doing 1 mile a morning for a week, then 1.5, then 2..... gonna keep with that pattern going until I can't do it anymore or it works

HAVE to find a way to stay fit over the winter. Can't deal with trying to cut 20lbs for the race season again.. that **** was awful, and I rack disciprine.

One thing I've noticed this time around, though - I don't get sore if I heel strike. Back when I was a big runner, I heel struck until my knees started taking a big hit. Did a 12 mile hill run one night, and running down the backsides of rollers killed my knees - wasn't able to run or do anything for quite a while. I think I even ended up having to do physical therapy and ****.. anyway, I decided to try fore-striking, and it definitely reduced my knee pain while running, but I could never do more than about 3 miles before the sides of my lower legs would just die on me. Once I made the transition, though, I just kept at it, and it's my natural running form even now... but I deliberately heel-struck during my last run, and guess what? No lower leg pain.

So I think I'm gonna go back to heel-striking, at least for a while. Maybe once I'm up to 3 miles, I'll do first two heel, then switch to fore for the last mile, and see what that does. Or something.

I did feel it in my knees a little, though.