Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-02-2014, 02:42 PM

Any Runners?

EDIT: resurrected zombie thread see page 3.

---------

I'm thinking about going over to the dark side

I simply cannot take riding in the cold anymore. I used to relish in it. I would grow a beard and had many rides when said beard was full of icicles. Something happened to me after the Kansas City Cyclocross Nationals a few years back when it was -8deg and I froze so bad that now everytime it gets cold like that I get insanely itchy all over my hands and legs.

It's really weird.

Anyway. I used to be able to run long distances well, 25 years ago. I've always done a bit of running for cyclocross but it's more or less like I have not ran in 25 years. So it's a bit intimidating. From what I understand the most common injuries happen to people like me. Those who want to start running and bite off more then they can chew.

So I'm checking this out: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Seems pretty cool. Anyway just thought I'd share and welcome any advice from fellow runners.

Regards.

Last edited by redir; 12-09-2016 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:00 PM
n - 1

I like to run in the cold (ride as well).

I was competitive way back in my high school days, but just ran for fun since then. Not sure if there needs to be any sort of regiment to follow. I would just start slow and ease into it, like anything else. Start off with 1-2 miles. Run that for 2 weeks, then up it by a mile every other week? I don't know--something like that.

Buy some good shoes, though. Visit your local running store.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:06 PM

Redir,

Welcome to the club.

I share your sentiment regarding cold weather riding. I do it occasionally and have all the gear, but prefer to run in the winter. Running is a much warmer activity in the winter, compared to cycling. Also, the gear requirement for a cold weather run is much simpler.

As you pursue this endeavor, I recommend you take it slow at first, and build your running fitness gradually. Don't increase the frequency of your runs, the mileage, or the pace too much too soon. Give your body time to adapt. Most new runners(and seasoned runners too) get into the sport and then proceed to ramp up their running load(frequency, distance, or pace) too soon, and then they get injured.

Good luck.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:07 PM
'97 Ti Legend

Yeah, I'd agree with what p nut said. I have a few (slow) marathons behind me, but have not run much again until recently. We got a new puppy, now a year old, and a few months ago we started doing short slow runs. Start with just a few miles, and mix in walking if you need to. Work your way up to whatever distance you want to be running. I never much feel like running more than 4-5 miles these days, but it feels pretty good.

Last edited by DRZRM; 12-02-2014 at 11:38 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:30 PM

I've been running a ton, recently. Every other day or so during the week. Loving it for the fitness and for how little time it takes. Do it to it!
Old 12-02-2014, 03:38 PM

Very serious and passionate 61 yr. old runner for almost 34 years here. Around 65,000 total miles run. Nothing compared to a -Bill Rogers/ Frank Shorter/Joan Benoit-Samuelson - but pretty decent for an average Joe guy.

Still managing 4-5 days a week and around 30 miles a week. Some weeks more, some weeks less, depending on how I feel - both physically and mentally.

Everything's (speed, strength on hills & endurance) down a bit right now as I'm in my 5th week of radiation treatment for Prostate Cancer. Will be done on Dec. 31. But expect to be back to normal in Jan.

Normally do the bike thing (reluctantly) on Tuesdays & Thursdays. If I feel good, I might throw in a 3rd bike of a 60-90 minute easy road ride on Sundays, after the longer run of 10-12 miles.

Yeah ease back into it. Allow plenty of recovery days and get quality running shoes. I'd go to a running specific store managed by runners. and get fit.

If you pronate, you don't want a neutral shoe for people who supinate (like me).
Can't stress how important stretching and trigger point massage therapy are in avoiding injury long and even short term. Running specific strength exercises too.

I've posted extensively about it and just general running stuff here, with product links (no affiliation).
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...49#post1648649

Sounds like you might need a 5k to re-motivate you ? Nothing wrong with that. Many people I know can't train regularly unless they have a race to point to. Personally I gave up racing 10 years ago after many years (bowed out with a 1:35 in the Santa Clarita Half Marathon at age 51). Now just run simply because of my intense passion for it. It also is the best way, time management wise, to stay super fit.

On the issue of riding in the cold and rain- I don't see how you East coast/Midwesterners do it. It's lightly raining in LA today and I'll probably take the day off...Yes we are the ultimate weather wimps....lol

Good luck getting back into it. For me there's nothing like it and a fulfillment cycling (road or mountain) can never replace.

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 12-02-2014 at 07:22 PM. Reason: added thought
Old 12-02-2014, 03:42 PM

I don't consider myself much of a runner.. but I force myself to do it through the winter months. With shorter days and cold temps I like being able to get a decent workout in under 30 mins.

I rarely run over the summer so every winter I used to be incredibly sore for a week or so as I start introducing running back into my routine... I'm finally learned its better to ease into it. Definitely start with some new shoes and start with a uncomfortably slow pace. I found alternating between walking and running 50/50 for the first few times out is a good way to ease into it without getting sore. From there start working up the distance and then focus on speed if you want.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:55 PM
#bottlestorage

I enjoy running and have gotten better at it over the years. Commit to learning how to run. I recently started ready Kelly Starrets new book, "Ready to Run" and it is great. It talks not just about the run, but the moblity, prep and lifestyle changes which help aid your running.

I enjoy a minimalist shoes, not barefoot, but certainly a shoes with no heal to toe drop, but that is me and it is how I have developed my running form. If you are starting fresh and new, you might look into it as well as you have little to no form issues to correct or retrain.

Cheers!

Paul

Last edited by rugbysecondrow; 12-02-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:08 PM

Please don't run...get a mountain bike and ride in the woods...much more enjoyable since you're not moving as fast as on the road
Old 12-02-2014, 05:27 PM

I run 4-5X per week, 30-45mins max, comfortable pace as part of an early morning routine, but I keep it light so it doesn't get in the way of a good ride (I'm not sore or particularly tired afterward, keep moving but feeling easy). For me it helps with mood, weight maintenance, and I can do it in all weather or light conditions without fuss. With age my objectives are changing- I think it's useful as a weight-bearing exercise and it also forces me to stretch- cycling alone isn't enough for health and overall fitness IMO. As far as any benefits for cyclocross, I'd say that it hasn't made me faster, but my recovery post-race is better, those non-cycling specific muscles aren't so sore as they used to be the day after a race when I was doing no running at all. Post-cross pain is a special animal, know'msayin...? I started a couple of years ago and it was key to my dropping 20lbs over 4 months with some other non-drastic dietary changes, now it's just a habit, don't think about it much anymore, I just do it, easy to squeeze in before I dress for my bike commute to the office.

Last edited by zennmotion; 12-02-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:34 PM

Sounds like you experienced Frostnip in Kansas which explains the itchy.

Running is pretty simple and no need to over think it. Everyone's mechanics are a little different.

As another member wrote: go to a running store and get a pair of shoes that work for you.

After that, I'd just start running and have some fun. . .
If you want to race a 5k at some point, then by all means just follow the plan in the book. Whatever motivates you is what works...

Last edited by verticaldoug; 12-02-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:52 PM
Lanterne rouge

I like to run in the cold as well. It's also nice to be able to go out and run off 5k real quick. In the winter months I either go run outside or run at our indoor track at the park district. I am sort of liking the indoor track because I can put in the 5k then spend 30-45 minutes on an exercise bike or eliptical thingy.
It works for me and come spring I am ready to hit it.
I still ride on the weekends if the roads are dry.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:20 PM

Location: I'm here, I'm there, I'm everywhere...I'm the egg-man
As hockeybike said, running has minimal overhead costs in every which way possible - slip on your shoes, get out the door.

The time utilisation of the activity is a huge win for me :
time spend doing the activity/
(time spent in getting ready for the activity+time spent doing the activity+time spent to get ready for workafter the activity)

Moreover, for the same amount of time I spend running I know I get a more intense workout. Little time, more sweat!
Old 12-02-2014, 06:29 PM
zerocool5468

try mountain biking in the winter
Old 12-02-2014, 06:44 PM

I'm in the same boat. After 20+ years of putting on tights and booties and stocking caps and gloves to go out and wait for the ice cream headache to go away after the first 20 minutes of freezing before I even got numb enough not to care I was ready for a change. I just can't bear another winter training for hours on end in the cold. I've been running for the past couple of months now. I started really easy with just 20 minutes at a time two or three times a week and I've worked my way up to where I'm running 4 to 6 miles at a time four or five times a week. I even went to a friend of mine's sports physiology lab yesterday to have him do some assessment of my running form. One of the things that I realized after that assessment was how all that time basically only cycling had been great for the cycling muscles but so detrimental to the rest of my body. I'm actually looking forward to the opportunity of having a little more time since running is so much more efficient to get out and do some training that might balance out all the muscle imbalance is that I have.